Project CARS & Project CARS 2 & Project CARS 3
  • And Relax...

Digital Foundry have back tracked on their analysis stating that they haven't used the right build to do their analysis on.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-project-cars-performance-analysis

Bit of a cock up that
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Lol,

Looks shit!
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • The dev has replied in the comments section. Sounds like he is pissed off big time.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Looks like a snooze fest. I'm oot.
  • Someone in the PR dept will be getting their P45 this weekend. Will be interesting to see how the release code fares in comparison.

jury is out

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • SMS comments:
    The preview was based on an older build of the game and several of its observations are unfortunately either wrong or due to bugs or items which have subsequently been addressed by the development team during the finaling process. Notably:

- The level of Anisotropic filtering was increased from 4x to 8x on both consoles, significantly improving the general image quality and sharpness of the road.
    - Both consoles are set to use motion-blur at the equivalent of the PC medium setting – the differences seen on PS4 were due to bugs which were transient with on-going optimisation and not because PS4 uses object based motion-blur.
    - The shadow differences highlighted were largely down to the various slope-scale DX11 issues we had at this time - many WMD users had reported these on PC builds and we were able to fix these bugs to more closely align the shadow rendering across platforms.
    - The build reviewed was also lacking some significant "render bridge" camera work, which significantly improved frame pacing and the general feeling of smoothness especially when cornering.

In the article it is mentioned that Project Cars on Xbox One is using post-process anti-aliasing which is equivalent to the PC's higher FXAA settings. This is incorrect, the Xbox One version uses MSAA, or more precisely AMD's EQAA (Enhanced Quality Anti Aliasing) with 8 fragments and 4 samples, which is equivalent to MSAA 4x on PC.
    Just to add to our previous comments:

- In the older build that was analysed it was possible to become CPU bound with very high numbers of AI, maxing out all 6 cores on XBox One. However, Microsoft had recently opened up 50% of the 7th core to developers : in later builds the development team was able to offload work such as the audio mixing, engine sound synthesis and detailed grass generation onto this core, fixing this problem of becoming CPU limited.
    - Tracks that had water elements (sea/lakes etc) in the analysed build used an expensive cube-map method for reflections leading to inconsistent frame rate. In late March this was addressed with us switching over to use a screen space reflections method - A WMD community member did some comparison benchmarks on PC when this new technique was introduced:

"B967/B968

Azure Coast 62.5 fps/82 fps +31%
    Azure Circuit 61.5 fps/ 73 fps +19%
    Laguna Seca 55 fps/76 fps +38%
    Sakitto GP 61.5 fps/86.5 fps +41%
    Nürburgring GP 57.5 fps/76.5 fps +33%

Looks identical visually, big improvement."

The relative scaling there applied equally to the console versions.
    --

If you incorporate our above corrections to the article, these points and some more general optimisations that have subsequently been worked on, it's easy to see why we might feel this review isn't very representative of what the development team has achieved.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • It sounds like they've made some large performance gains on all platforms. EG should probably just pull the article, even with the update it still serves to harm. The comments section is the usual gauntlet of retard that a lot of these DF comparisons descend into.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I often wonder where EGs Digital Foundry get their info from .. some of it must be based on assumptions?
  • No they shouldn't. They were provided something the PR described as 'submission quality'. They did their thing on that basis. Everything they said is true of it, they say they don't know if it's what can be expected at launch, and things can change.

It's not their fault that Namco are inept.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    No they shouldn't. They were provided something the PR described as 'submission quality'. They did their thing on that basis. Everything they said is true of it, they say they don't know if it's what can be expected at launch, and things can change.

It's not their fault that Namco are inept.

So why bother?
  • Because people like that shit. There are hundreds of articles on games pre release. There is an entire industry built on previews. Why not a tech preview?
  • Because it's based on the performance of old code that nobody is ever going to see. Therefore it's pointless
  • Like all the other pre-release stuff that makes up the majority of these sites.
  • It's an article based on miscommunication and misrepresentation and more than likely wouldn't have been published so close to launch had the age and version of the build been fully disclosed.
    We'd like to apologise to our readers and to Slightly Mad Studios for this unintentional misrepresentation.
    So pull it, as it stands, it still serves as misrepresentation.
  • I have to agree with Webbins on this one. They apologised and pulled all videos regarding the DF article, but didn't pull the article? Kinda reeks of generating controversy for hits, rather than having any interest in representing opinions or the game as a whole. If Eurogamer really gave a shit about the developer's integrity (or its own, for that matter) the whole article would have been pulled and the apology would have been a separate story.

It's very poor form from what should be a very professional site.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    If you pull it though it has a chance to become a bit mythical and partially remembered. 'Project Cars is shonky, can't handle 40 cars, weather kills it.. yadda yadda..' 
    If it stays up at least it's topped with the 'none of this may well be of any note on release..whoospy' edit so should at least help prevent that to a degree. The damage is already done so you'd need to try to patch it up if you can.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Maybe, but why not tidy up the article to just represent the main points, with clarification that it isn't release code?
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Looks like you're being pushed into hiding the real truth by big bad marketing/PR people? I'm more the leave it as is and just stick an apology top dead centre. Can't miss it if you go to page, whatever actual tech analysis integrity is in there remains? 
    It's a shitsandwich  fair enough but it's best of the rancid option imho..
  • You might be right.

Feels like a very half-hearted apology from Eurogamer, mind.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    You dunno though.. they must have got code from somewhere you'd imagine and been given some kind of greenlight to use it by someone?

How in the hell it happened is very odd if it's a Feb build that got punted over to them. The studio are rightly pissed off of course to have it put through any real scrutiny but whether its Leadbetter going full clickbait wanker or the publisher doing a bizarre kamikaze to sales is probably never going to be made all that clear.
  • Framerates etc... Aside the game looks a little sterile IMO. 
    If it reviews well then i might give it a go.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Brands and more akin to 40 car grids could make it worth checking out indeed. I like the idea of being able to fight for a half decent mid table finish, maybe grabbing the odd point or two on a wet one in a seasons worth of racing and that being considered an amazing year. 

Smashing and crashing yer way to the front of a 10 car grid every race with replays and whatnot is getting kinda old.
  • What do we know about the multiplayer? How many cars to a grid online, and will/can they bulk out the numbers with AI?
  • I imagine all those details will be popping up over the next couple of weeks.
  • isanbard wrote:
    Brands and more akin to 40 car grids could make it worth checking out indeed. I like the idea of being able to fight for a half decent mid table finish, maybe grabbing the odd point or two on a wet one in a seasons worth of racing and that being considered an amazing year.  Smashing and crashing yer way to the front of a 10 car grid every race with replays and whatnot is getting kinda old.

Yes! Totally this. 

There has to be a better way of doing car games and this sounds exactly what I want.
  • Race Pro did it right if I recall. Quali followed by race, being able to set a car class and play as a season.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Add guns and boost strips and you've got a deal.
  • Race pro was good, although the seasons didn't really work out realistically the emphasis was on winning not fighting it out.
  • Gives a good preview of types of cars and tracks. Some great Touring car tracks in there:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!