PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:
    What was wrong with MWO in the end?
    They completely failed to implement the daily progression of the clan invasion storyline and the community warfare aspect of having the Inner Sphere and Clans as warring player factions. The clan mechs were also gimped or buffed depending on how you want to look at it because the system they had in place for mech customisation made the Inner Sphere mechs way more optimal for the whole competetive pvp only angle the game ended up taking.

So it's just a slightly dull deathmatch game with many little imbalances?
  • Yeah that plus they have abandoned any real game development now and are just selling different models of mechs to players for cash money or a shit ton (and I mean a shit ton) of grinding in game.

Edit: I mean look at this shit - 3 versions of the same mech and some shit for $40. Not even a joke they were doing pre order packs when the clans were released that were $150. They even had gold coloured versions of clan mechs in limited numbers to buy as an ingame item only - $500. https://mwomercs.com/warhammer
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Such different landscapes though. And I don't disagree, but I think they're scared of making something like the OG because polish and accessibility are so important to publishers these days. I think we're still seeing devs straining under the pressure of a primarily console based gaming market for the past decade or so - PC games just aren't as "PC" as they used to be. Only the indiesphere can afford to take risks, and even then they are very small, calculated risks a lot of the time. I mean just look at the RTS. It's fucked off seemingly for good now, Starcraft doesn't fill the gap for me. Also where are the big Wing Commander/Colony Wars games? We've got all this grunt and there isn't a space opera driven dogfighting game - instead we're stuck with Elite because apparently what the PC does best is vast emergent dross*

*i'm sure it's great, it's just not what I want.
  • Soz for off topic but I mean look at this shit fo rill. 

$240!!!!!!! FOR PRETEND ROBOTS!!! 

https://mwomercs.com/clans
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Also yeah, add that to the list - I want Mechcommander 3 and Mechwarrior 5, thanks.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    If I'd made the Elite thread I'd rename it to Vast Emergent Dross.

We got Strike Suit Zero which was enragingly terrible.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    YOU GOT THE MANGO MADCAT!?
  • Mechwarrior 5 is dead I think, that amazing trailer from a few years ago is all that's left of the what could have been.

Someone is making a sort of Mech Commander 3 but it's called Battletech Universe or something, but that was a few years back as well and I haven't kept tabs on it.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Freespace 2 is like what more then ten years old and playing it for the first time last year I still thought it was amazing.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    When is that new not syndicate game coming out?
    Satellite Reign came out to really good reviews late last year.
    Ah, cheers. I didn't realise it had been released.  Will have to pick that up.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I think those shits Harmony Gold are suing pretty much anything with a likeness to several mecha properties they own including Robotech. They've prevented pretty much anything SDF Macross related coming out in the west ever since Macross Plus.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'd have thought it'd be better just to make your own MW-a-like setting but then Hawken oh dear.
  • It's something I will never let Skerret live down.
  • Tempy wrote:
    When is that new not syndicate game coming out?
    Satellite Reign came out to really good reviews late last year.
    Ah, cheers. I didn't realise it had been released.  Will have to pick that up.
    I was really looking forward to it but the reviews didn't sound so great to me, so I gave it a miss:
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/28/satellite-reign-review/
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-02-satellite-reign-review
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Buff trailer came out last month that I missed.

Also failed to realise the Councilman is actually the guy off Honest Trailers.
  • Original X-Com was one of my fave games of all time. The remake was- while not perfect- also one of my fave games of all time. Everything i have read about this sequel makes it sound incredible. I am considering moving back to England for a month just to play it.
  • Okay but that head made of heads at the end of the trailer is not acceptable and better not appear again.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I need to properly play the last one first...
  • X-com was the greatest re-boot ever. This also looks tremendous. Day getting booked off work.
  • Im a bit meh about this one. It looks like they want to ramp up the pace considerably.
    To me, thats not what these types of games are about.

The one thing I really didnt like about the reboot is the exact same way you ran into the aliens on the maps.
    It was the same every time. i.e. you walk forward, you stumble across them and trigger them going WTF and running about.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's one of the core changes this time. You can sneak up on groups as they're patrolling and plan ambushes.
  • That one thing you didn't like is something that, according to reports, they've done their best to remove completely. Videos and so forth that I've watched don't seem to suggest there is an upping of the pace per-se, but more a better meshing of the link between the tactical maps and the strategic overlay. The game counts down to critical events that you can attempt to stop, but it doesn't game-over you if you fail. 

Plus, any increase of pace may not be what XCOM was about, but XCOM2 isn't XCOM - you're on the backfoot and in that position, sitting back and consolidating victories would be utterly bunk.

Where once there were stupid choices between research that made no sense from an optimisation point of view, there is now the chance to spend elerium cores for different lateral upgrades. Instead of the game fudging itself to critically wound soldiers, it sounds like failure will be entirely in your hands - you'll die because you let them flank you, not because the game decided it was time for a one-in-a-million shot. 

Everything in this video makes it sound like they've improved absolutely everything, and to echo Rouj's issues with it not being OGXCOM, he suggests that this is very much them making their own game instead of a quasi-homage

• Thats great news. that and the fact that you where in China and it looked exactly the same as New York, niggled at me a bit.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Maps are (partially?)randomised this time as well, so none of that fatigue of playing the same map 2-3 times in a campaign setting in
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think they said maps are fully randomned
  • Well they're procedurally generated which isn't the same as fully randomised

Edit: found the quote I was thinking of in that IGN exclusive where the Art Director confirmed certain set pieces and things were design to avoid non-functionality
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I am idoit
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Good old Random Ned, he always makes the best maps.

Until this gets a console release I'd love it if you could all refrain from posting about it. Many thanks.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Good old Random Ned, he always makes the best maps.

Until this gets a console release I'd love it if you could all refrain from posting about it. Many thanks.

Not-sure-if-Ned-Flanders-random-36981915-300-243.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!