XCOM 2
  • I hope it gets a console release but I am very glad it has been designed with the PC in mind, so they can make the best game they can. That said, the requirements are slight and it sounds so well optimised that there's every chance even my shitheap of a PC will run the thing.
  • Watched half the video - it sounds much better.
    Please release on other platforms.
    k-thnx
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I hope it gets a console release but I am very glad it has been designed with the PC in mind, so they can make the best game they can. That said, the requirements are slight and it sounds so well optimised that there's every chance even my shitheap of a PC will run the thing.

Tbf they nailed the controls for the last one. I played it on PC with my 360 pad.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Watched half the video - it sounds much better. Please release on other platforms. k-thnx

I think despite it being labelled "non-spoilery" i'd suggest halfway is enough to watch cos I heard about a few things that, whilst incredibly cool, are things that would have been cooler to find out. Still, he refrained from showing or revealing much about enemies or unique encounters so i'm happy. Also the PR build locks off at a certain point so there's potentially tons of stuff hidden away.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    I hope it gets a console release but I am very glad it has been designed with the PC in mind, so they can make the best game they can. That said, the requirements are slight and it sounds so well optimised that there's every chance even my shitheap of a PC will run the thing.
    Tbf they nailed the controls for the last one. I played it on PC with my 360 pad.

The pad controls were fine, but playing it with a Mouse and Keyboard felt incredibly restrictive, which means that the pad controls were overall a negative for me. I'm all for pad control when I'm feeling lazy, but I don't want to feel like someone is restricting my interaction with a game because pad controls are a priority.  I hope that with the PC as the lead platfrom there isn't a repeat of that.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Basically it's al-Qaeda Manager 2016 without being distasteful.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    UFO is a mobile cave analogy/allegory.
  • /splooodge!
    4 days to go! :-D
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    hmmm. The Eurogamer review seems to suggest that it's obviously the same as before with  a load of fail timers on it. The reviewer says this is great... I haven't found this to be true for most any other games I've enjoyed, especially any strategy ones. I don't particularly like the time pressure on every state and move. I would prefer to have a think about how and what to do rather than just lunge about desperately with the clock constantly ticking.. 

I'll grab it in a steam sale when it s bobbins and not play it then. Its a PC release after all...
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • I am as confident as i have ever been that this will be one of the best games i have ever played.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I've had the first remake on two machines. Still not finished. Think I'll do that then get this like Daq says in a sale.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    GOTY 2016 CALLED IT BROSKIS
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's nice to see an early review for a change. 2K have been nothing but confident this game is stonking.
  • isanbard wrote:
    hmmm. The Eurogamer review seems to suggest that it's obviously the same as before with  a load of fail timers on it. The reviewer says this is great... I haven't found this to be true for most any other games I've enjoyed, especially any strategy ones. I don't particularly like the time pressure on every state and move. I would prefer to have a think about how and what to do rather than just lunge about desperately with the clock constantly ticking..  I'll grab it in a steam sale when it s bobbins and not play it then. Its a PC release after all...

I understand the idea behind this line of thinking (especially if you are a fan of the armchair strategy genre)  but for my money, if the whole game is about a desperate battle to save humanity from the brink, if the setting is designed to be a pressure cooker of threat, failure, and hard choices, then encouraging you to scrape and scramble for each victory via the formal elements fits the thematic thrust of the game very well. If you were able to sit and scritch your chin at your leisure, it wouldn't really fit the whole ton and narrative structure of the game, and nailing that mesh is exactly what the last XCOM lacked, heck, it's a binding of intent and function that a great many games lack.

In a way it just like they've learned from the best parts of boardgame design - including FG's wonderful XCOM boardgame which introduced the threat timer, which added more pathos to each dice roll than any carefully curated XCOM-moment-crit could ever hope to.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Perhaps there needs to be the gaming mechanic equivalent of your opponent badgering you to make your move rather than a strict timer.
  • There's none of that in the XCOM boardgame, it's all run through an app.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I've never played an XCOM game before, but this looks fantastic.

What should the great unwashed expect?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Fury as your best sniper misses a 99% shot on a rogue alien that then proceeds to chew up your entire squad.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just got the thin man fear again
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I really should get round to finishing up the first one again (would need a restart by now I'd imagine) but had issues with the change form the 90s. They made it all different with the graphics and the classes and the .. arcadeyness. 
    I'll give it a  crack at some point.

I need to get around to Invisible Inc too now I think.. people told me that was a bit of a belter?
  • I'm debating whether to Ironman this beast like I did with the other one, sounds tougher.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That has an alarm system that rushes you along too doesn't it?
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Installing now Temps. You'd better be telling me the truth or so help me.. 

I'll delete it. And start on some more Dragons Dogma..
  • That has an alarm system that rushes you along too doesn't it?

What can I say, I like urgency.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I didn't play Invisible Inc in the 90s Sparky so I hope I'm more open to it being different to XCom. 

I am an idiot, yes.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Isanbard doesn't. It put me off a little too, but I'll get over it as I did with FTL.

Anyway, back to XCOM. Release it on consoles you ridiculous bastards.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    It has to come to consoles in time? They did  a great job with the controls after all although day 1 mods are the new rage it seems.
  • He didn't ask me if it had an active threat mechanic, just if it was a belter. It is. Klei are terrifyingly good at what they do.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!