Shenmue 3!
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Some people on Resetera have been digging into the official website, and it looks like this is also coming to Bone: https://www.resetera.com/threads/new-shenmue-iii-pre-order-site-xbox-mentions-in-code-assets.121362/ Yay!

So that e3 when sony announced ff7 remake, shenmue 3 and last guardian pretty much ended xbone's perception as equal footing with ps4.

Two of those are probably multiplatform, the other wasnt exactly the third coming that was promised.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • A huge amount of those who played The Last Guardian disagree.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    They're wrong tho, obviously
  • I'm not saying TLG is shit. Simply suggesting that its lasting impact isnt as significant as Ico/SOTC.
    And that e3 show pretty much put the final nail in the coffin as far as xbone maintaining pace with ps4 this gen.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    I'm not saying TLG is shit. Simply suggesting that its lasting impact isnt as significant as Ico/SOTC.
    And that e3 show pretty much put the final nail in the coffin as far as xbone maintaining pace with ps4 this gen.
    It was fucked well before then. Personally can’t see how Shenmue 3 being released would effect it to be honest.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Vela's angle is that the announcements were banging nails in the coffin so to speak, but two of the nails were a sort of "tee-hee we had our fingers crossed!" thing (and the third went in wonky).  Shenmue's exclusivity or lack or would have a negligable impact on console sales on its own imo, but the public (or internet) perception of the Bone's future did take a bit of a hammering after that year's E3 thanks to the shots fired salvo.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Although frankly I’d buy 1&2 on Bone first and replay those. Not touched the since the DC. Not sure I can be arsed, though.

Free with gamepass!
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Vela's angle is that the announcements were banging nails in the coffin so to speak, but two of the nails were a sort of "tee-hee we had our fingers crossed!" thing (and the third went in wonky).  Shenmue's exclusivity or lack or would have a negligable impact on console sales on its own imo, but the public (or internet) perception of the Bone's future did take a bit of a hammering after that year's E3 thanks to the shots fired salvo.

Yeah thats kind of what I was getting at. XB hasnt had a great e3 for a while and back then (2015?) the gen was early and xbox had just been dealing with fallout from always online controversies and sony had this big event of demos of previously white elephant games. It was a good indicator of the trends/currents that were shaping then gen at that time; before xbox 1X and sea of thieves and proper BC and xbox access or whatever its called.

Honestly Id say that e3 shaped this gen a lot, and MS have recovered quite well from it.
  • Vela wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Vela's angle is that the announcements were banging nails in the coffin so to speak, but two of the nails were a sort of "tee-hee we had our fingers crossed!" thing (and the third went in wonky).  Shenmue's exclusivity or lack or would have a negligable impact on console sales on its own imo, but the public (or internet) perception of the Bone's future did take a bit of a hammering after that year's E3 thanks to the shots fired salvo.

Yeah thats kind of what I was getting at. XB hasnt had a great e3 for a while and back then (2015?) the gen was early and xbox had just been dealing with fallout from always online controversies and sony had this big event of demos of previously white elephant games. It was a good indicator of the trends/currents that were shaping then gen at that time; before xbox 1X and sea of thieves and proper BC and xbox access or whatever its called.

Honestly Id say that e3 shaped this gen a lot, and MS have recovered quite well from it.

Yeah, I’d argue that 2015 was big, but then for the next 2 years Sony had back-to-back-to-back banging E3s and PSX shows. I mean, in 2016 they could reveal god of war, days gone, give the last guardian a release date, show a lot more of horizon, reveal Death stranding, resi 7 and Spider-Man at E3, and they still had enough in the tank to take Uncharted lost legacy, nier automata, crash bandicoot, wipeout omega collection, marvel vs capcom, parappa, loco roco, patapon, 3 Yakuza western releases and unveil Last of Us part 2 only a few months later at PSX. And they still had ghosts of Tsushima, dreams, Persona 5 and a few others churning in the background for other press conferences.

It was just a really strong few years at a time when, rightly or wrongly, the perception was that Microsoft were struggling to get games out.
  • Tl;dr

People remember 2015, but 2016 was the year Sony was on absolute fire.
  • It was basically this gens equivalent of "$199", the MGS2 trailer or more infamously the Killzone 2 teaser. Massive hype followed by consistently quality games.

Not going to distract any further from Shenmue though - I forgot it was in this thread.
  • Sony's not at E3 this year no?
    Probably too busy preparing for next gen.
    It is true though, so far Sony's first party output has been much stronger, more consistent and higher quality than MS. Things like Forza and Gears notwithstanding, Sony arguably has the stronger exclusives despite closing off this gen with lower tier hw.

Shenmue 1 and 2 were milestones in adventure gaming and set new standards in world building. The attention to detail and npc's, the weather system, the day/night cycle, the RPG mechanics; they were all big departures from jap rpg's and adventure games in general at the time. Every RPG and adventure game does it now but if I recall correctly Shenmue was the first to pull it off so convincingly. Yes, it cost Sega a fortune as they almost went bankrupt and yes the game is flawed but it was a remarkable achievement at the time of release. Suzuki was a true pioneer in that regard.

Whether the game clicks with you depends on how willing you are to become immersed in Ryo's world. At the time the gfx were immersive and groundbreaking. Now by today's modern  standards they are blocky and mediocre, distracting you from immersion.

An open world is only as interesting as the things you can do in it. Shenmue 1 is especially lacking in that dpartment as besides from collecting capsule toys and playing arcade games there's little left to do but walk around and admire the scenery. The pacing of the story is quite slow too and the godawful script and voice acting don't help either.

Still Shenmue 1+2 are games you need to have played at least once to see what all the hubbub was all about. Hopefully Suzuki has learned from past mistakes and Shenmue 3 will be a roaring success. Like so many Sega IP Shenmue has so much untapped potential. It  deserves a breakthrough and a bigger audience.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Pro tip if you're on Xbox
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Although frankly I’d buy 1&2 on Bone first and replay those. Not touched the since the DC. Not sure I can be arsed, though.
    Free with gamepass!

I actually searched the GamePass app after reading this and was disappointed but now it's actually come through. :D
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Shaping up:

Member Hi-Tech World?
  • Has it been mentioned that this contains 'a fully playable arcade to send time in'?  No support from Sega means each cab is a coin-op created for this game (presumably by Suzuki).  HUGE.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’d kind of hope these aren’t by Suzuki, he should be concentrating on the main game.
  • Just started Shenmue1 on the pc.
    Fuck me, what a remaster. Runs like a charm @1080p with just a 6gb install footprint. Just booted it up to see the intro sequence and before I knew it I was rummaging through drawers and cupboards and 2 hours had passed lol. The investigation sequences are weirdly voyeuristic and satisfying. No blinking map icons and markers here, just hardcore investigation and the manually tracking down of relevant people.

Sound quality is iffy but that was an issue in the original as well due to used audio compression techniques. No major bugs encountered yet. Going for a remaster instead of a remake was definitely the right choice. Makes you appreciate what a landmark title the original Shenmue was and how far we've come.

The japanese dub is fantastic for full immersion. You really do feel like you're playing the part of a character in a japanese martial arts soap opera murder mysterie.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Collectors edition by Limited Run Games will go up for preorder on Monday 9th. Only 5,000 being made. 

https://www.limitedrungames.com/collections/neo-frontpage/products/shenmue-iii-collectors-edition
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Nice.
    Come with g if you want to live...

• I actually believe. I actually fucking believe!!!

YUUUUUU
  • All over it. It's been updated in a way I would've asked for, so let's see if I enjoy my own wish.
  • lnNWh5X.gif
  • hlhGqK5.gif
  • 2hcam9s.gif
  • Guys... I think G man is excited for this.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I can understand people becoming overcome with emotion.

This game has no right to exist, and it’s mind blowing that it does.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Ryo confirmed for gay.

"ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • What a legend.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!