#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Enjoyed watching that PGW demo.  Hmm...still not sure how I feel about the game from what I've seen so far.  In a way I'm a little disappointed that the game seems reliant on inhabiting a character in order move through the created environments.  When I saw the very first trailer I envisioned player created spaces that I could explore while disembodied through the magic of VR.

It's still looks very impressive, though.
    Get schwifty.
  • I'm pretty certain 100% certain that will still be entirely possible, they've said that you can just interact via the 'Imp' in a level, and I can't imagine them not including an entirely disembodied option. There's a few moments in some of the vids where you see brief glimpses of first person gameplay.

"You can make amazing first-person shooter levels if that's what you want to do," explained Evans. We've already seen racing and flying games in sizzle reels, and the team is dreaming of the "new game genres" that could be created within Dreams.
    http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/30/dreams-ps4-paris-games-week/

qJLDIwb.gif
  • Prediction - 

Edge 10/10. Nobody buys it. Interesting tools. Bad jump mechanics. 1,000,000 dreams with dicks in them.
  • sounds legit
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I think the majority of user levels will probably be rip offs/attempts at exact copies of other games. No doubt someone will make LBP with it, it's going to get quite meta I think. But that's kind of the least interesting thing to do with the tools provided, much more interesting will be the genuinely original ideas and attempts at storytelling.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I'm no great shakes at art, but I have an imagination.  If this allows me to cook up some of the weird shit floating around in my head in spite of my artistic shortcomings then that'll be very cool.  So yeah, hope the unoriginal stuff gets voted down.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Have watched a bit more of the creation in action and it looks like they're using a couple of those Move wand doodads.  Add in a VR headset and this is all getting rather expensive.  Also, I fear most people really aren't going to be interested in putting the time into getting the hang of the creation tools.  It's going to bomb, isn't it?
    Get schwifty.
  • Oh ye of little faith..

It can be played entirely with the Dualshock, doesn't even need a camera, I don't think they even had a camera for that twitch demo. Just using the gyros in the controllers, very impressive.

Used Move controllers can be bought for peanuts in local game retailers, usually new condition too as there's hardly been much use for them.

EDIT: Correction; they did have a camera for the demo. It's still playable without a camera, but you lose the Z axis control (I think an analogue stick can be used in this case). DS4 + camera will be better.
  • Also the create and play modes won't be separated in the same way LBP's were, the create stuff will be introduced during the main story, whatever that turns out to be.
    Mark Healey, creative director at Media Molecule, described a part of the campaign where you "might be asked to do some gardening." In doing so, you'll essentially learn the basics of creation, and after you're done, you'll be able to share the "shrub" asset you've created with the rest of the community.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    That sounds great!  I want to have faith, I really do.  Along with No Man's Sky this is the most current gen (everything else seems so last gen) game on the horizon.  But it just looks so niche.  Whatever form the playable 'main story' takes, it's going to have to seriously dazzle in order to gain traction with the masses.
    Get schwifty.
  • This is bound to be niche: Media Molecule != mass appeal. 

I'm fairly surprised stuff like this get made at all - though it must make some kind of added value/gateway to other sales in a commercial sense, for it to happen at all.
  • I'm getting a bit tired of the 'masses' tbh. :P

The thing with this is that it is the least niche of all games that are coming out, in that you can probably make any kind of game with it. There will almost certainly be some absolutely superb RPG, RTS, FPS, etc games that people will make for it, especially if the netcode is up to scratch and collaboration is a doddle.

Communication of this by MM is a bit of a problem atm, but to be fair they're a small team and I think they've rebuilt the engine so many times (and finished recently) that i doubt they've had time to put together a really solid demo a number of genre's/playstyles. Community curation will be key, with the 'links' that van be placed in a level you could see hubs created that take visitors to various dreams, e.g. a street where behind every house door lies a different world. I bet they'll do some kind of non-linear story actually.

Here's the create part of that stream that someone's cut out, really amazing stuff. -

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    indigo wrote:
    I'm fairly surprised stuff like this get made at all - though it must make some kind of added value/gateway to other sales in a commercial sense, for it to happen at all.

Glad of it, even if it's not my bag. Can't beat a bit of variety.
  • Yeah, same. Meant to say pleasantly surprised when these kind of things get made.
  • Im curious on how it will export to unity. If they mean that dreams' technology will be implemented as a unity extension too then i couldnt be happier
  • In the stream they said the current pipeline for exporting sculpts is via a website, I guess the raw files from the PS4 get uploaded to a server where some clever bit of code converts the models to a standard format (.3DS I would think).

Some gifs someone made from the PGW vid -

31u9r5a.gif

The other two as links so the page doesn't get too busy -

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Really want to like this and I can see its appeal but for me it's a time investment. I'll spend days creating something nowhere near as good as an 11 year old kid did in a few hours. But all power to Sony for sticking with MM and letting them do something really creative.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Not worth a purchase just to play rather than create?
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I don't think so. That's pretty much all I did with lbp and I quickly got bored.
  • LBP was definitely hampered by it's 2.5D platforming nature, IIRC there wasn't too many examples of really tight and reactive gameplay outside of the standard Sackboy controls (and many weren't too keen on those either).

How responsive and fine-grained the gameplay can be within Dreams is still a bit of a mystery atm. I think point and clicks, RPGs, walk-em-ups and other game styles that don't require complex inputs will be quite nice. 3D action, FPSs, shmups, racing, RTS, all those are an unknown in regards to how playable they will really be. It will depend on the quality and breadth of the tools provided and basic engine and physics performance.

I think they will pull it off, maybe not entirely, that will take a sequel or two. But I'm pretty hyped to get stuck in and see what's possible. If you're into Journey, Dear Esther, and other 'atmospheric' games, and you're the sort of aesthetically driven person who spends a lot of time wandering and exploring worlds (like me :) ) then I absolutely think you're going to get a lot of value from just playing this. This is a massive leap from Littlebigplanet.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    All good points Gurt. Think I'll wait a while until I can get a view on what the community are producing before buying or not. This is definitely a maybe.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    That was close, Gurt.  We almost lost him.
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    All good points Gurt. Think I'll wait a while until I can get a view on what the community are producing before buying or not. This is definitely a maybe.

Yeah that's a good idea. Luckily there should be a beta starting 2016 (hopefully first quarter), and the community's results with that should be a good indicator. If I can get in I'll be doing my best to test the boundaries and make something worth experiencing. Still need to get a PS4 before then...
  • Absolutely loads of new demos up on MM's Twitch channel (Still streaming live right now) from PSX. Showing some interesting stuff including making new biped characters.

And a another demo during Playstation's stream, (Dreams bit starts at 2:42:00).
  • I recently played NaissanceE and was blown away by the brutalist, repeating, almost fractal nature of the architecture. It left me wanting more that kind of environment in games.

It looks like Dreams will be excellent for creating these kind of structures -

• Absolutely fantastic for the PlayStation brand... I'll probably never touch it.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • New trailer shown at the game awards -

Shows some first person viewpoint gameplay which is something I have been waiting for. There will be more shown at the Playstation Experience show this evening. Needless to say I will be glued to that.

I'm mainly interested in this as a more natural 3D modelling and creation tool, for abstract stuff and conceptual music videos and such. Though I have no doubt that there will be some great gameplay that comes out of it, knowing what the previous LPB was capable of, and the scope and tech in this. With first person viewpoints in there that at least pretty much guarantees a bunch of really nice 'walking simulator' style experiences.

This was from a bit earlier in the year and shows some of the possibilities from the sculpting tools. Obviously you will need to have a decent amount of artistic skill to achieve some of that, at least if you create entirely from scratch. -

• Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It really does look like super impressive tech.  I just don’t know if I’d buy it without going the whole hog and buying the PSVR headset and a couple of wand thingies to go with it.  So merely watching with interest so far.
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!