Horizon: Zero Dawn
  • Also worth mentioning the voice acting runs the gamut from woeful to brilliant. Aloy herself is a bit thin at times by virtue of her being too virtuous and one-note compared to, say, Geralt. Lance Reddick is perfect as Sylens though, and I thought the game picked up immeasurably when he was around. The voice they got for the big bad was totally weak though, and really took a lot of the threat away.

edit; pisssssssss

review on the prior page
  • I found Witcher 3 to be the clearest point of comparison in the end as well. But since I didn't get into the combat in W3 and found the missions too bloated in terms of fetch quests and dialogue, Horizon was more like the game I wanted it to be. Obviously it's nothing like as deep in its lore and character development, but those were never my main points of interest.
  • I prefer the dialogue in W3, the delivery in Horizon was often really off. The game's setting makes the accents right, but it still felt very Bethesda, like they had 10 actors in to do 200 roles. I think with Fetch Quest stuff they're both as bloated as each other, they're all Go to A, highlight tracks, go to B, done. Ok now go 3000 meters back to the quest giver. Combat goes to Horizon, but I prefer the "fantasy" of the Witcher's combat, even if it really doesn't work quite so well.
  • In there was one thing that took away from their stunning technical achievements, it was probably the sheer laziness of apeing the far cry 'skill' system. Something more original next time please guys?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • There was scope to tie it to the story, I felt -
    Spoiler:
  • Decided to get on and finish this as it’s about a year since I put it down.

Found a cauldron with only a Thunderjaw in it. Shock wires - no effect. 12 fire bombs stacked on top of each other - minimal effect. Yikes.
  • How long has it been since the original release and still no news of a sequel? I believe it set sales records for a new Sony IP at the time.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    Decided to get on and finish this as it’s about a year since I put it down.

Found a cauldron with only a Thunderjaw in it. Shock wires - no effect. 12 fire bombs stacked on top of each other - minimal effect. Yikes.

I found this cauldron very early on and had a few deaths here. Do you have the sharpshot bow with echo shells? Blast off the Thunderjaws' disc launchers and use them on it - crack off as much armour as possible. Echo shells will also kill the mouth lasers and lop off it's tail. After that it's attrition and dodging.

I didn't bother with tripwires.

Kill this guy and you'll be able to override Thunderjaws in the wild...
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • I do use the part removal arrows. Didn’t realise I could use its own parts against it, thanks.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    How long has it been since the original release and still no news of a sequel? I believe it set sales records for a new Sony IP at the time.

My uncle Matthew is working on the sequel, it's a PS5 launch title
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Blocks100 wrote:
    How long has it been since the original release and still no news of a sequel? I believe it set sales records for a new Sony IP at the time.

These posts always get me.  Given my forum name and irl name, Matthew being an in-joke of bullshit rumours always makes me worried I've been babbling shit again.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    I do use the part removal arrows. Didn’t realise I could use its own parts against it, thanks.

Same as with the Ravager's laser blaster. Just time it well. You'll be slowed down so only grab the weapon when you're not about to be steamrollered.

• acemuzzy wrote:
    Blocks100 wrote:

Small world - my old college friend Stu works at Geurilla. He's been there as a designer since Killzone 1.

• Thunderjaw finally down.  Had another three failed attempts so buggered off and got on with other things, including the 2nd and 3rd cauldrons.  Discovered things like ropecasters and elemental bows, plus invested in some melee resistant armour (with weaves to boost it).

Went back, tied it down so I could get that crazy tail off.  After that it was a case of freezing it and hitting it for 2x or 3x damage with the bow.  This time it wasn't much of a challenge - mostly because of the lack of the crazy tail attack.

The corrupted Rockbreakers are kicking my arse though.

I'm now around 48hrs and still under 50% completion.
  • I honestly didn't think you could exit a cauldron without killing the final boss.

Elemental bows are good - fire arrows are your friend against those flying buggers. Upgraded stealth armour is the mutts nuts.
  • Fast travel works to get out.  But the two times I returned after that (the three extra deaths and the last visit when I killed it) , it sent me back to the bonfire rather than to the start of the battle - which was tedious.
  • I'm such an item miser I didn't bother with fast travel until I unlocked the infinite fast travel item, so FTing out of the cauldron didn't occur.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    A little late to the party but I started this tonight. Love it. Reminds me of the Tomb Raider reboots but so much better.

Hiding in bushes and whistling a robo-dino over for a stealth takedown is great, I thought it was making things a bit easy right until I got murdered by a scrapper in about two seconds. Looking forward to more, I haven't even seen any proper predators yet.

How do you use the Xbone Elite pad on PS4 again? I really miss those paddles for jumping and sliding and my thumb is slipping off the left stick.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Pro Tip: Don't stand at the edge of a cliff to admire the view, enter the menu to check the map/your inventory then exit the menu but push the circle button an extra time. Top notch bone crunching sounds though, reminded me of the first Tomb Raider.
  • Thankfully it didn't go the Tomb Raider route of 'gasping girly sounds' every time our heroine over-exerts herself. No Keeley Hawes grunting here. What we got was some excellent voicework,and a damn fine female character you could root for. Didn't the original Tomb Raiders have a slider that allowed you to set her breast size, or did I just imagine that? Regardless, we’ve come a long way in terms of how female leads are portrayed in games I guess.
  • You definitely imagined that.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I've never pressed O and rolled out off a cliff, off a bridge (and had to find a place to get back on land), down a crevasse - in the menu or when cancelling picking up items. Must be you ;-)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Definitely me. I do it quite a lot to be fair, even when coming out of the future vision mode thing. Press R3 to go into it no bother, but circle to back out of it, diving out of my hiding spot and directly towards the machinosaur with the sharpest teeth.
  • I do it all time.

EDIT: to the point that last night I was trying to work out how much of an idiot I was as I couldn't stop doing it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's a curse.

I'll tell you what though, this game is tops blooby. I put off playing it because I'd just came off BotW and nothing was going to top that. I thought I'd miss the freedom/climbing etc but the climbing in this is pretty great, there's the odd ledge where you just want her to reach out and grab the flat bit but it's not happening often enough to ruin things.

Combat seems a step up from BotW too, it strikes a fine balance between making you feel lethal and vulnerable at the same time. Great stuff.
  • Agree with that. I think it's excellent. I think I'm quite near the end of the main story now.
  • Great game. It's in the pantheon of great games I've played. Really enjoyable story, great art direction and design and so much post-apocalyptic colour! I was seriously invested in this, to the point where I got quite emotional at the story's end. I've never had an emotional response like that to a game before! Or since.

(Until I played the intro to Last of Us. Holy Fuck.)
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Didn't the original Tomb Raiders have a slider that allowed you to set her breast size, or did I just imagine that?
    g.man wrote:
    You definitely imagined that.

He didn’t totally imagine it, though; the first Dead or Alive game had a slider for boob bounciness.
  • That's it! I knew I had seen a boob slider somewhere!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!