Horizon: Zero Dawn
  • *From the makers of Killzone*

tumblr_lt1mh3KPaV1qi7m5p.gif
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • @Tempy

Totally agree with all of that, it makes perfect sense from a gameplay perspective and requires little fathoming out by the player. A savannah analogue would have worked well, too, for the same reasons.

For me 'Why dinosaurs?' is always a silly question. My question is more 'Why robot dinosaurs?'. It just doesn't quite work for me. Still glad to see somebody doing something bold like this, though.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    BUT IT DOESNT MAKE sense

Goes back to playing Destiny, shooting moon wizards
  • Doesn't "why ROBOTS" work for you in particular though? If you're having to harvest stuff from them, bring them crashing into the dirt to break their limbs etc, making them robots allows for more intense, destructive, and involving combat without blood, guts, broken bones, and maimed animal corpses being skinned.

Monster Hunter pits you against "real" animal analogues, and their personality and AI makes them feel alarmingly alive. The payoff for stunning a charging dragon works well because they often fuck you off, but there is also comedy in their pratfalls and stumbles which stops it from feel indulgent, and when they finally die, harvesting is abstract and not focused on - beyond calling it 'carving'

With a high fidelity title like Horizon, i'd rather see a robot toppled and feel a little ashamed, than watch my character cover herself in vicscera. It's crass, and from a marketing perspective really restricts who you can sell to.

Essentially it circumvents the violence against animals disliked in Far Cry, but keeps the awe, spectacle and hint of remorse you feel in Monster Hunter and Shadow of the Colossus. This is all from a purely conceptual stand point. It might fail in the actual game, but I'd rather high fidelity games pursue these avenues than pitting us against simulacrum of living breathing things for gaudy sequences of violence.
  • 1f6ce5fdbae73b7eae14e9436e8596d3.jpg

Again, I agree. Robots are cool, and harvesting from them allows for lots of fun toys and interesting gameplay options. I really enjoyed Binary Domain. Dinosaurs are cool, too. I really um... endured Turok.

I get it from a gameplay perspective, I just think the two combined is a bit naff and the actual design of the dinobots isn't all that good.
  • Not trying to piss on anyone's parade, just not feeling it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yep - you guys nailed it, it's the range of options that bits offer. Also there's a more canonical sense of a reason why you might get "red wires" in more than one creature, so it makes looting a more normalised procedure rather than figuring out why everything has a bird wyvern fang
  • Bird Wyverns have Bird Wyvern Fangs, other wyverns don't.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ffuuu
  • Dinosaurs also makes sense in terms of scale. They basically filled every single macroscopic niche, so it makes sense to use them as source material if you are a robot civilisation looking to take control.

Of course you could equally choose mammals.

But they aren't a) as cool or b) as big when it comes to land living species. 

You get the full scale of small nimble bird-like types all the way up to lumbering behemoths.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • The only bit that won't make sense probably is the narrative, but that shouldn't matter.

Mechanically it looks like a good idea.
  • Show me a game with good narrative in the first place. Pretty much every big budget game has a shit story, be it GTA or Halo or Gears of War. 

So long as the world is internally self-consistent it can do whatever it likes. I'll be happy taking down robo rexes without a care in the world as to whether the game has a tie-in series of novels with equally shitty writing.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    @adkm: what's on the cover of that issue? Might try and track it down for Bas to read. Might be a bit too challenging to try and find an english magazine while traveling though France.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Thanks, shouldn't be hard to find with all that orange I guess.
  • They used to stock Edge in the Waterstones near Spui. That was a long time ago, though.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    In the past I'd have been hung up on the 'Yeah but why robosaurs?' thing, but now I'm at the phase of my gaming life where I can't muster a fuck to give. As long as it plays well I'll be happy, I hope they don't even try to explain how this ridonkulous evolution even came about, and just force the player to accept that this is just the way it is.

I think I'd have accepted this without hesitation in the 16bit era too, it's only the in between bit where I demanded shit to be grounded in realism for no particular reason.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Its the best way to be mate, gives that spark back to gaming rather than analysing everything to a big degree. Just play and enjoy, if its got an entertaining tale to tell, bonus.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Y'all should go back and play Enslaved with that attitude
  • g.man wrote:
    *From the makers of Killzone* tumblr_lt1mh3KPaV1qi7m5p.gif

But will they have the gall to emblazon that shameful admission on this game's cover.... I'd bet monies they will.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I bet there's a load of games I've missed out on because of that attitude.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Get on Shadow Warrior, Sparks. It makes zero sense, has no real cohesion but lord is it fun. Cheap too.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Enslaved is a story in need of a game.
  • regmcfly wrote:

Enslaved was a combination of my first devil may cry combat and fisher price platforming segments. Utterly boring to play.
  • I'd need to see much more of this before i could muster any enthusiasm at all. 
    I'm getting to the point in my gaming life where if it's just game 'x' but with robot dinosaurs then I'm not interested.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Enslaved is ace. I remember it looked ace too. Colourful for a mainstream title during a time of mass market greige.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I see nu Edge covers are still as good as bleach in your eyes.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message

Trailer and release date. Apparently there are also Lego giraffe's out there, which is actually pretty cool.
  • I really want to like this, but that trailer is so cliché riddled, it has massively put me off.
  • Stunning looking. It's kind of a given with the studio, but wow.

Also, as above cliche-ridden with it. Good to see GG's trademark cheesy dialogue returning there too. 

Hope it turns out well... but...fool me once etc.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!