Nintendo Switch
  • Nintendo NX 1. Home console which runs Linux/Android based OS distro 2. 3DS like controller 3. Integrated online shop and online mp, think Steam. Supports discs and downloads. 4. 3ds, NX and mobile, integrated and unified into one ecosystem. Access your vc collection and library on your handheld or NX. 5. There will be amiboos

Pretty sure above proposition is going to be it, or at the least a very big focus of the NX.
    Why? Because MS and Valve have already made their move and lines are being drawn in the sand. It's no coincedence the release of the NX falls in a similar time frame.

This year alone, Valve has the Steambox (Linux) initiative come november and MS the Win10 update for xbone. People will become increasingly tied to their console of choice by a store user account and once that process kicks in regaining lost marketshare will be very difficult indeed. Nintendo and Sony will have to make haste because they're lagging behind in this regard.

We already know Sony uses a FreeBSD framework for PS. Nintendo will probably go with a FreeBSD/Linux/Android fork as OS of choice for building the framework of their ecosystem. It's absolutely crucial they have this up and running somewhere next year 'cause Nintendo 've been bleeding marketshare the past few years and they want to hold on to their users. By fusing the handheld market and NX in 1 ecosystem they're effectively pooling their userbase making the NX more viable and attractive to devs. MS is doing a similar trick by fusing Windows and xBone.

The race is on.

edited for clarity
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • They should go download only.
  • They should but they'll probably stick to a hybrid dl/retail model in order to reach out to new users.
  • New users are used to downloading everything.

Can you even get boxed PC games still? Mobile games are all download only.

Fuck having pieces of shitty plastic cluttering up my house. Takes up valuable amiibo space.... ;)
  • True dat.
    Capsule amibos anyone?
  • If they go DL only they might have to remember to put some storage space in the machine this time.
  • Or do what they did last time and let you add your own cheap storage very easily.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    They can't compete for teenpence any more. Apple cover that entire spectrum (inc. cheaper tabs, that is), and Sony have (outside of NA) captured most of the enthusiast gamers. Microsoft'll do okay.

If I was a shareholder, I'd want them to release a tablet for kids. Lots of 30- and 40-something parents grew up with SNESes and NESes (Kimberly), and the 5-11 market's the most open if their tab comes in under a hunner, with games for a few quid each.

The only alternative is to make a powerhouse console with an eye to junking a ton of franchises. Metroid could stay, but the rest - even Mario and Zelda - no longer have a place in a teen-focused console. And for the first time, Nintendo'd need to offer good deals to third-parties.
  • Nintendo is not a "kids only" brand.
    If anything they've always presented themselves as a family brand.
    Think Fami-com. Or Wii.

So, no way they'll pidgeon hole themselves into a 5-14 category even if they do target them alot.
    The scenario I presented before is their most likely and most viable strategy. Simple deduction really.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    They don't present as kids-only, but they're treated as such by today's teens.

Too many 25-plussers regard them in stasis. They can try appealing to those older gamers, or to their kids by proxy. But most teens won't care.
  • That's a problem for their marketing department.
    I still think Ninty will refuse to pidgeon hole themselves, stubborn as they are.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Aye, but it's not about gaming, it's about profit.

At some point in the nearish future, I'd bet on the modal age of Zelda-buyers hitting 30. Design deadlocks.
  • You do have a point though.
    By targeting a younger demographic, Nintendo can tie them to their brand from a younger age especially with an account.
    Think McDonald's. Get them hooked when their young and when they're adults they'll keep coming back with their families. Tried and tested formula.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Amiibile.
  • More interesting tidbits.
    Traditionally Nintendo uses PowerPC CPU's in their home consoles.
    Which would restrict the choice of OS for the base station to either FreeBSD or Linux.
    Should they choose to abandon PowerPC for Intel x86/64, Android opens up as a 3rd possibility.
  • WorKid wrote:
    They should go download only.

I'm actually regretting some of my phys purchases. Getting up to swap between yoshi and splatoon is well irritating.
  • hunk wrote:
    More interesting tidbits. Traditionally Nintendo uses PowerPC CPU's in their home consoles. Which would restrict the choice of OS for the base station to either FreeBSD or Linux. Should they choose to abandon PowerPC for Intel x86/64, Android opens up as a 3rd possibility.

PowerPc is toast i think.
  • I can't see them sticking with PPC. Hasn't it been something like a decade since they did a new chip? I'm sure apple stopped using that architecture because there was literally nowhere left to go with it. A decent ARM chip might be able to emulate older consoles and make it easier to do cross platform stuff with handheld.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Yeah. I think even IBM have sold that bit of their business off.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I wondered how IBM were still active over a decade ago. They are, so they are, but I've no idea how. I know they had some business software and their hard drives long after Estridge, but they seemed to withdraw into post-Wintel consulting, with fewer and fewer apparent contracts.

Don't tell me that good old Research Machines are still around?! (Go on - tell me!)
  • If it wasn't for seeing their ads on dedicated business news channels, I wouldn't have seen anything from IBM for ages. They're probably just charging 12 clients a billion dollars each to have above average video conferencing.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    They've blue bars.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Going to Kyoto guys should I just ask Iwata
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Razz Prince his car with Amiibos.
  • Watch out for the yakuza blacksuits!
  • WorKid wrote:
    Or do what they did last time and let you add your own cheap storage very easily.
    On a DL only console though? That's no longer an optional extra but a hidden cost. Better to keep it simple IMO.
  • I doubt Nintendo would even think about DL only. They don't suffer from the second hand market as much as their competitors and they'll definitely need retail on side to launch a Wii U successor.
  • Nintendo games go up in value, if anything.
  • I_R wrote:
    I doubt Nintendo would even think about DL only. They don't suffer from the second hand market as much as their competitors and they'll definitely need retail on side to launch a Wii U successor.

Dl only gives max control and saves some costs.

Also, all their games are gonna be ftp.

• Fuck retail. Adds nothing.

Someone should be brave and cut them out entirely.

(Sorry DD)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!