regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I mean that's probably it. They're thinking "lol toys" when grimmer and darker gritty real games featuring real wars are being made.

Like Gears of War
  • I've already banged in about this in the e3 thread, but if they're after the same chunk of household money that would otherwise be spent on MS or Sony stuff, then they're competing with them whether they want to be or not.
  • I suppose there's a potential market of people who don't want to expose their kids to COD and GTA. ZombieU as a launch title makes me doubt that's who Nintendo are really aiming at though.
  • I agree that they're competing in that respect, yes, but I guess what I mean is that they're aren't fighting against them, or trying to stand against them.

The language isn't adequate, competing has conotations that don't agree with the reality of how they conduct themselves.

They know their numbers and they play to keep the rather than trying to take more.
  • They're like the third wrestler who comes into a fight to deliver a cheeky stomp, or a quick steel chair, gets ko'd but still walks off with the winner at the end.
  • g.man wrote:
    People might trade their ps4 in for a Wii Stupid Name That Doesn't Make Clear It's Not An Add On if they can play Nintendo stuff, and FIFA on it.
    This. If you has a Nintendo console that could play all the third party stuff that has come out, plus all the mario, zelds etc al, I think it would hit.
    I genuinely think that train has sailed for Nintendo
    Console would have to sell gangbusters at launch

And the one game series that could do that, Pokemon, well, that ship has probably set sail also, still their biggest hitter sales wise & with amiibo it could go through the roof, but maybe to late to slamming it down, but would/could give them an instant huge install base if they landed a console MMO down, even more so if pop out handheld rumours are true.

Monkey is also correct, it does not matter if Ninty say they are not in direct competition, they are.  I love that they do their own thing, but they can not afford(well maybe they can) another WiiU situation.  Not every one has the cash monies for more than one home console.  They do play to their targets, but that seems to not be going to well this time, the reason is competition, the reason is choice of platforms, the reason is doing your own thing solo with no 3rd party back up.

Thumbs up for doing your own thing, but they cant be doing backflips & slapping high 5s at NCL ref the U. The NX will follow suit if they do not get the balance right.  Over in the west, its 3rd party, in the east, trying to tie shit to the mobile market, that's some balancing.

edit, that or another Wiimote moment.
  • cindemon wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    People might trade their ps4 in for a Wii Stupid Name That Doesn't Make Clear It's Not An Add On if they can play Nintendo stuff, and FIFA on it.
    This. If you has a Nintendo console that could play all the third party stuff that has come out, plus all the mario, zelds etc al, I think it would hit.
    I genuinely think that train has sailed for Nintendo
    Console would have to sell gangbusters at launch

And the one game series that could do that, Pokemon, well, that ship has probably set sail also, still their biggest hitter sales wise & with amiibo it could go through the roof, but maybe to late to slamming it down, but would/could give them an instant huge install base if they landed a console MMO down, even more so if pop out handheld rumours are true.

Monkey is also correct, it does not matter if Ninty say they are not in direct competition, they are.  I love that they do their own thing, but they can not afford(well maybe they can) another WiiU situation.  Not every one has the cash monies for more than one home console.  They do play to their targets, but that seems to not be going to well this time, the reason is competition, the reason is choice of platforms, the reason is doing your own thing solo with no 3rd party back up.

Thumbs up for doing your own thing, but they cant be doing backflips & slapping high 5s at NCL ref the U. The NX will follow suit if they do not get the balance right.  Over in the west, its 3rd party, in the east, trying to tie shit to the mobile market, that's some balancing.

edit, that or another Wiimote moment.
    or a brain training
    or a nintendogs
    or a pokemon
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Or a Wii fit
  • Or a 3DS hang on
  • Or a Super Mario 64 style wtf
    PSN - minkymu
  • I was stunned when i saw that running 2 weeks after Jap launch on an imported console at my shop.

I would have sold my kidney
    PSN - minkymu
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I'm not sure Ninty see anyone as competition really

Apple, I'm sure...

The iPhone has to be one of the most popular western products in Asia.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Good point cindemon.

Control gimmick didn't work this time.

So unless they think they can get it working next time, clearly they've got to try to get 3rd parties involved and make themselves a viable primary console for more people.

Console sales (at least as a proportion of the market) and 3rd party support have basically gone down since the SNES barring the Wii which was a freak mass market anomoly thanks to waggle tech?

I wonder if there is a different interface other than VR that could even remotely re-capture wiimote success? VR realistically is out no?

So perhaps a PS4/Xbone power level Wii is actually their best bet at re-capturing the casuals as well as those than abandoned them for PS/Xbox.

Biggest issue with that is the price I guess.
    Hi Hosting - Fast and Reliable UK Web Hosting
    We host a number of bears and badgers, get in touch if want a website too!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Virtual Boy 2 this time we got it guys.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    'Home console Pokemon MMO' invokes insta-eyeroll from me, although it would be interesting to see what would happen if they released a mainline Pokemon game for a home console launch. The other Nintendo mega-franchise is Mario, and I imagine they will be readying a 3D Mario and a Mario Kart for as near to the NX launch as possible, hence Captain Toad rather than 3D World 2.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    WiiU2

Whether you want it or not.

Tempy wrote:
    They're like the third wrestler who comes into a fight to deliver a cheeky stomp, or a quick steel chair, gets ko'd but still walks off with the winner at the end.

Lawler.
  • Why has there never been a full blown home console Pokemon game?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I guess they couldn't have done trading and battling with friends before the Wii and then since 2010 they've had two dev teams churning out a pair of mainline games each year.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I wanted a full on home console pokemon for ages but the more I think about it the more I think it is a series that lends itself better to handheld.

The more advanced handhelds get the less I feel a want for a home console version.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Why has there never been a full blown home console Pokemon game?

Nintendo don't want to make it.
  • It works much better on handheld.
  • Jrpgs have a huge console tradition. In fact pokemon red is basically a sequel to earthbound made by mostly the same people.

I think xenoblades challenge structure fits with a modern life handheld but it was first on console.
  • The thing with Nintendo is that they're a conservative company that makes a shed-load of money, so they probably have very little interest in 'gambling' in a high stakes battle with sony and microsoft to be the most popular console...Nintendo are probably very content with their smaller slice of the pie knowing their bit is full of tasty steak (profit) where as sony and microsoft are fighting over the larger bit that's a got a lot of gravy and onion to wade through to find the steak.
    I think if Nintendo were to ever make a play at being the 'dominant' console then they missed that opportunity with the Wii U when the timing was perfect to make a console superior to 360/PS3, rather than making one that was 'different'....

In saying that, personally i'd love for nintendo to make a 'standard' console, one that can match the ps4/one for performance and 3rd party support, play blu ray and dvds, and still give access to nintendo's own software too.  that would be a piece of kit that could finally tempt me into an upgrade from my ps3.  as it stands, i don't want multiple consoles under my telly, i don't want yet another nintendo console where i basically only play nintendo games (or a console that won't play blu rays), and i have no desire to upgrade just for the slightly shinier 3d party stuff on ps4/one as it stands.  but combine all that and i'd be very tempted.
    However i very much doubt Nintendo has that planned.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • How can anyone accuse nintendo of being a conservative company.

Unless you define conservative as something very specific.

• Considered might be a better word. MS and Sony I would say are more reactionary.
  • here's a radical concept for the NX, not what i expect but, taking mutterings of android, possible mobile, and then go silly....

the NX should be a subscription service built around a virtual console built to run on android (initially, but why not make a windows/ios version too?).  you would subscribe to the nintendo service, which gets you access to the 'console software', and all of nintendo's software...new games, VC, back catalogue etc. So long as you subscribe to Nintendo's service you get access to their software - 3rd parties can then sell their own software via the nintendo store, and/or nintendo occasionally add 3rd party stuff into the subscription, a bit like PS+...
    nintendo will build and release their own android box with the optimum spec to run their virtual console, proper support for their own joypads etc, but any android device with right spec could conceivably run the NX software....therefore when your phone is good enough you could have the nx on that.  buying the box would maybe give you 6 months subscription free, and maybe even a 'permanent' license for the software included 'in the box' so even if you don't subscribe you can play the game you bought.
    let's be extra wild/silly, and they could rate games/hardware so that different stuff will work on different level hardware....maybe you need the NX box if you want to run the latest COD/FIFA/ZELDA, but the software on your phone will run the old NES/SNES/N64 stuff on the VC....

so there you have it...£10 per month to subscribe to the NX service, access to all nintendo games on the devices that support that software....and/or buy the Nintendo NX box with the hardware optimised for the software and games
  • crayon, as live said, considered is maybe a better word.  the point is that they're a rich successful company from carving their own niche, and i don't think they're driven by trying to be the biggest and crushing all opposition...they'll just keep making enough money doing their own thing, and slightly frustrating those of us that grew up on Nintendo and want to play their games but not have to buy another more expensive box to play shiny FIFA with our mates...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!