Nintendo Switch
  • Mario Golf please.  Chuck a few Golf Story characters in and I'll swoon. 
    Towerfall Ascension available immediately. 
    Donkey Kong Rabbids DLC available immediately.
    Luigi's Mansion 3, March 2019.
    Super Monkey Ball Redux (surely this has to happen at some point)
    Mario 3D World for Christmas.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Sea of Thieves
  • Dark Souls Remastered to actually get a release date and I’ll be happy
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Wish list games would be Oblivion and Fallout 3 ports/remasters.
    Get schwifty.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bayonetta is doing my head in with the kill all angels with weave attacks within time limit. Nearly threw the switch out the bus window.
  • N++ coming to Switch this week.
  • Hello igor, nice avatar.  I enjoyed N+ on XBLA, but somewhere between then and now I lost interest.  Not sure why as on paper I'm up for a no-frills streamlined devious platformer. 

Runner3 is reviewing as expected.  £23 is too rich for my blood, but I'll be in at some point.
  • West of loathing by the end of the month. Boom!
  • Samba De Amigo revival pls.

+1
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • bloodstained curse of the moon should be out today
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • I really don't understand these games aping NES graphics; it looks ugly.
  • Tell me about it. Enjoying Celeste (on PS4) but it looks horrid.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Cellest isn't quite as bad, at last they've gone 16 bit wit that one.
  • We need a 12-bit middle ground tbh
  • AJ wrote:
    I really don't understand these games aping NES graphics; it looks ugly.

It’s retro!
    Retro is cool!
    Hipsters love retro shit.
    Fucking hipsters
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I dunno. Celeste is fine for me because it started as a Pico8 project so even lower res, so it makes sense to keep it similar. Plus it has really nice animation.

N++ is tempting though. Well suited to the switch. I have it on PS4 but never quite feel like playing it on the TV. Have loved the series since it was a free thing on the PC. Well I think it was free, maybe I just pirated it.
  • It’s nearly always devs replicating what they enjoyed in their youth, it’s hard work doing pixel animation so I doubt they’re picking it for kicks. Even NES aping games like Shovel Knight are doing stuff way beyond the capabilities of those systems, there’s a real art to games that capture the look and feel of 8 and 6 bit games but are significantly more elaborate. Sonic Mania is a good example.
  • It's hard work doing good pixel animation; I've seen plenty of things where they've just gone with pixel art to (unsuccessfully) try and hide the fact they've no art talent.

Have loved the series since it was a free thing on the PC. Well I think it was free, maybe I just pirated it.

It was free; it started life as a Flash game.
  • Tempy wrote:
    It’s nearly always devs replicating what they enjoyed in their youth, it’s hard work doing pixel animation so I doubt they’re picking it for kicks. Even NES aping games like Shovel Knight are doing stuff way beyond the capabilities of those systems, there’s a real art to games that capture the look and feel of 8 and 6 bit games but are significantly more elaborate. Sonic Mania is a good example.

Agreed, Mania is often described as 16-bit in appearance but to me it looks more like the 32-bit Sonic that never was than another Megadrive game, be it 32X or early Saturn era.  The big ring bonus stages are chucking about the most obvious incongruous trickery, but there's plenty of other stuff going on.
  • I thought Sonic CD was the graphical jumping off point for Mania.
  • Oddly enough I think that bonus stage might've been possible on Mega CD, but not some of the more standard looking bells and whistles in the main levels.

• The sphere bonus stages? That could have definitely been done on the SNES, without SFX or anything. I forget what the hardware rotation was like on the MD, but it may well have been possible on that, too.

What are these other bells and whistles? I've not played the game.
  • The sphere one ran fine on a standard MD (3 and Knuckles).  I'm on about Mania's chaos emerald stages:

I guess this looks hideous to some, but imo they've done a remarkable job of making it look like a bonus stage in a Sonic game circa 1995.
  • It's somewhere between the Sonic CD special stages (super scaler/mode 7 type visuals) and the Saturn exclusive Sonic 3D special stages (polygons).

Edit:

Probably worth chucking this in too (32X):

• Yeah, those polygonal bits wouldn't have worked on a 16-bit system without SFX/32X. Nothing that would have looked super out of place being replaced by a sprite, though.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    The 8bit/NES style graphics thing can work really well, when used well. See Shovel Knight. But it is getting overused, and in some cases in being used to hide a lack of art direction. It's just video game fashion, it all comes round in cycles. A few did it because it genuinely worked for their work. But others then jumped on the band wagon.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Sonic Mania is great but yo gimme some Streets Of Rage Mania eh
  • I don't get Stardew Valley.  All I did was hoe some ground and plant a thing.  Am I missing something?  What should I do before the work cycle 'clicks?'
  • Become a child with lots of time but little control over your real world environment?
  • Heads up anyone waiting on Steamworld price drops, they've all appeared in the sale section.  As has Aqua Kitty DX @Nina.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!