Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Looks like a yadda yadda marines in the future shooter.
  • Probably give that a miss then.

yup

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What do you play then g? I haven't seen you interested in much lately.

I've set the download away, but I'll probably not even bother trying it.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    What sort of game is it? Any good? never heard of it g.man

Something to do with marines get lost in a sandstorm in Dubai, they all go a bit mental, everything goes all heart of darkness.

Something like that.
  • What do you play then g? I haven't seen you interested in much lately.
    Haven't played anything for ages now. Just don't have the time when I'm working. I'll probably have a look in the shops sometime soon to see what I've missed in recent months. My broadband is fucked though, so online gaming is out for the mo.

regards

g.man
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Get Trials Evo, g.
  • This appears to be Gears in a modern military style with the plot of Heart Of Darkness. Doesn't look as good as I've made it sound though.

• Get Trials Evo, g.
    Isn't that a download only game?

my BB isn't up to it

g.man
  • If you're paying for this broadband, it should be up to downloading a Gb or so, shouldn't it?  You need to kick up a fuss.
  • Yup. Haven't been home long enough in recent months to do anything about it.

now would be the time

g.man
  • Surely, eventually, one of these fucking games will hit the mark and be the NEXT BIG THING. Wish it would hurry up and come along.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Much has passed me by in recent times, but there's certainly nothing on my radar (from an online pov)  that looks remotely enticing.

regards

g.man
  • Yeah, seems like it's a mix of old franchises doing more of the same, new franchises either getting a lot right and being ignored anyway, or not getting ignored, but then getting a lot wrong.

Brink, MAG, Homefront, various clancys, Socom, plus the bigger hitters: MW, halo, Gears, BF3. None of them seem to have come through, for various reasons.

That's not to say that I haven't had fun with some of them, likewise others here, but reach takes some dedication and rose coloured glasses, Gears seems to have a gotten a lot right, but only has a stable but not amazing following, BF3 seems flawed but pretty good, and MW seems to disgust and delight in equal measure.

There's also been at least 5 XBLA attempts that have mostly died in the ass, despite some great ideas. Section 8 2, Nexuiz etc.

I dunno, I may be ignorant of some thriving small communities, and you have to think that the online pop is growing enough that niche games will still have enough players to be enjoyable, but still, it'd be nice if something other than MW was being played by all and sundry.
  • Yes, linear cover shooter, with some basic squad commands, wrapped around some dusty, Dubai gone bye bye narrative. A checklist of the usual, part controllable talky talky walkthrough (minus finger in ear, controversially), just enough head on view to pop, intelligence collectables, etc. They really shouldn't be asking for more than thirty notes on day one for this kind of thing so far into a gen now. Not offensive, just nothing new. Pick up Blood on the Sand cheap while you wait for this to tumble.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    This appears to be Gears in a modern military style with the plot of Heart Of Darkness. Doesn't look as good as I've made it sound though.

i think that looked like a cheap copy of uncharted.
    could turn out to be ok if its got some co-op or something.

@face. a lot of the ps3 crowd are on payday the heist and it's very regular, just mostly organised via twitter for ease of use. (and some folks still ain't come here yet).
    peace walkers starting to build another following in the co-op stakes too but not to the extent of payday.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Yeah, I liked the look of payday. psn just shits me.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I thought it seemed OK, if you like that sort of thing. Movement and controls were fine. I'm not sure anyone has done the snap to cover thing as well as Gears. Graphically it looked good in that way Unreal Engine games look good. Voice acting seemed OK and it was Nolan North'd up to the eyeballs.

Probs not a day one but would be OK in the £25-30 range.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Surely, eventually, one of these fucking games will hit the mark and be the NEXT BIG THING. Wish it would hurry up and come along.
    They're expensive to make and you need to get the art style, game engine, multi-player design and the net code right. That probably limits the possible publishers to Activision, Sony, MS, Ubisoft, Rockstar, Valve and EA.

Activision are happy with what they have and also have Bungie on board. Sony threw money at it, none of it stuck. MS have Halo and seem happy for now. Someone needs to write a book about how Ubisoft started the gen dominating the modern military shooter and then just left them alone for a few years. Rockstar and Valve don't seem too bothered, Counterstrike seems like a half hearted late entry in the console space. EA want to be Activision.
  • true enough. tbh, I actually like a lot of what R* have done with MP over this gen. The roaming MP in RDR was very cool. And the mix of co-op, free for all and set areas for team deathmatch was all done quite well.

Where they fall down is in having really really tight shooting mechanics. if you could slap R* together with Epic, or bungie or whoever you'd be on to something. R* create the playground, the other creates the toys. Looking at the vids for Max payne 3 it looks to be the same again. it's just gonna be spray and pray, with a few bells and whistles. That won't keep people coming back, I don't think.
  • I finally got around to this today and I enjoyed it. It looked nice, controlled well and whilst it was your typical cover shooter game, I felt that the sand environment did give it something slightly different.

Probably won't be a first day purchase, but possibly when its reduced/rent it. Although co-op is always a temptation!
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'd be interested despite the length and the fact you have to pay for it if only I knew whether the guy was actually any good.
  • I have this game and will play it as soon as I can stop playing Dark Souls again. That is all.
  • Right, I made myself start this instead of more DS and did the first few chapters. I like the setting and the location design so far. The shooting works fine, even though it all feels a little lightweight. All the military guff and the banter between the soldiers will bore me before long, so I hope whatever the story's going to do it does it soon.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Keep going. It's worth it.
  • All the military guff and the banter between the soldiers will bore me before long, so I hope whatever the story's going to do it does it soon.
    Sounds like it's already doing it...
  • The gameplay is often terribly stiff and boring in that game but i do genuinely feel it weaves a ripping and eyeopening yarn, its worth sticking with for the story, even as it drags
  • Jem wrote:
    All the military guff and the banter between the soldiers will bore me before long, so I hope whatever the story's going to do it does it soon.
    Sounds like it's already doing it...
    Yeah, but I get that on any military based game. If it's actively trying to do it then that's a plus point, but then it's kind of ironic I can't tell the difference between it and the dialogue in any other military shooter.

Anyway, I should shut up because I've no idea what's happening yet.
  • Drawing you into the military mindset is almost entirely the point of act 1.......
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!