You gotta speed it up, and then you gotta slow it down...
‹ Previous123
  • Quite a while ago (I just checked, it was early September 2014) I bought Wolfenstein: The New Order fairly cheap for my PS4. I tried it, and I just did not like it. I'm not sure now that I could put my finger on it, but I didn't rate it one bit. I even dished out advisory warnings when The Old Blood came out.

Over time I realised that most people seemed to have enjoyed it, some very much so. At the weekend, I listened to the Cane & Rinse podcast, and they positively gushed over it, and I got the feeling they liked it way more than the others in the series. So, yesterday, while I was in town, I popped into game and picked up a copy. I installed it late last night, I reckoned I would get past the annoying plane sequence at the start, ready to play properly today. Next thing I knew it was 3am, and a company of satisfyingly bullet-riddled Nazis lay in my wake. I've played a bit more tonight, and it has a gratifying crunching thwack to it.

On a similar note, I recently redownloaded Dragon's Dogma after a C&R podcast, where one of the contributors praised the feel of weapons striking their targets. I had felt the exact opposite when I'd tried it, one of the main things that led to me deleting it. Accepting that I may have missed something I gave it another shot and, yup, the feeling of sword striking flesh is rather pleasing.

Mirror's Edge and Patapon are two games I bought specifically because of this forum. On each occasion I formed the opinion prior to launch that they could not work or be fun. I was willing to fork out money (possibly even at launch, iirc) so that nobody could dismiss my well considered point as not based on experience. On both occasions I was very happily proved wrong, and had a great time playing them.

Conversely, I had high hopes for LA Noir, but the more I played, the more I realised what a sorry, broken mess it is. I completed the main story (and got the full 1000 gamer score) to be sure I was right, and that I wasn't missing something that was causing people to praise it.

While these are the examples that come to mind, for about the last twenty years of playing games I have spent not insignificant amounts of time and money in the pursuit of diligent open-mindedness to the quality of any game. I have played games, enjoyed them, and then on reassessment wondered what I saw in them. I have dismissed games after trying them, and gone back to find something I've loved. I've gone in expecting one thing, but have been receptive to confirming the opposite.

Are you willing to go to any lengths to challenge your own conceptions, or do you find that the first impression always lasts? Do you buy and trade-in the same title many times over, or do you see those who do as mentalists? What are your favourite examples of the games you're glad proved you wrong?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I bought Demon's Souls because it seemed like exactly the type of game I would be useless at and would abandon in hours. But I wanted to see if there was life in the old dog yet. One of my favorite games of all time.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I honestly remember buying the American version of Daemon's before the EU version was even announced based on the super ultra surprise [9] Edge review. Who seemed just as surprised since all previews in the mag before then were mostly negative. And the Armoured Core games are a very acquired taste.

Played it for a few days. Hated it. Sat in storage till Dark Souls 1 which I bought for some reason. Platinum'd then tanked on with Daemon's and completed that. Tis a weird thing, Souls.

Hotline Miami is another one. Bought that on release and played an hour before relegating it to the freezer. It took HM2 coming out and badgering from Tempy to get me to dip in again and I completed that slag in a few days.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's the only game ever that I bought a Japanese import, way before any western release.
  • I bought MGS2 on release for the PS2 (2001/2?), got so far and declared it to be a dull, clunky (yes even back then), load of shite, and it remained unplayed. This was until the remastered versions of 2 and 3 were released and I picked the digital bundle up for the 360, around 2 years ago, convinced age and experience would allow me to overlook the torrid time I had with it. So I set about it again, and I think now shorn of my youth, I was able to appreciate it in different ways and understand it more, even to the point of enjoying it. It's still a load of bollocks, but it's an attractive load of bollocks.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Dark Souls I ended up buying three separate times, the first two attempts it clicked for a bit then I got bored and moved on, and then I grabbed it a third time when I was in a bit of a gaming funk. Ended up adoring it, mainly the combat and the experimentation. Keep it on the down low but I've never really got into any of the lore with the Souls series, find it a tad dull.
  • I played Dark Souls fo about 30 hours. hated it.
  • Jesus, Andy reversing his position on Wolfenstein!

I hated Halo on trying it in Dixon's on Xbox launch day. I didn't actually play it again until CEA, by which time I had rinsed the sequels, and I loved it.
  • A cool thread. Can't think of a time i've really revised my opinion of a game heavily, but then I'm fairly open (read: easy) when it comes media. I'm not a big fan of people being viciously critical of things, and I like to see people talk about things they like more than I like a routine kicking. I'll make time for exceptional kickings, but i'd rather see constructive or at least smart comparative criticism these days. I get the feeling i'd like Cane and Rinse, but I just cannot do podcasts.
  • Hulka T wrote:
    I played Dark Souls fo about 30 hours. hated it.

See you on Rocket League, buddy.
  • I thought Destiny was terrible at first but I persevered and have played it quite a lot since.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I don't think I've ever hated a game then loved it.  I've drifted away from games then come back to them much later though.  I had about a year break between Silent Hill 2's opening bits and the rest, adored it (not you adored, you cunt).

I have come to terms with the fact that I take a long time to play games.  I've not touched Bloodborne for months; yet to beat a boss, yet to do anything much really, but I expect I'll get back to it eventually.

Is Vanquish 2 coming out any time soon?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Vanquish - there's one. Didn't click at all to start with and I gave up. Then it got recommended on that game club thread we had and we set up a high score challenge on one of the early levels. By the time I'd got a decent score on that I'd got the general idea for the whole thing and went through it twice, ending up quite high on the overall leaderboards. It still has its flaws, but it does 3rd person shooty really very well.
  • Jesus, Andy reversing his position on Wolfenstein! I hated Halo on trying it in Dixon's on Xbox launch day. I didn't actually play it again until CEA, by which time I had rinsed the sequels, and I loved it.

Wow really? I did not know that, good stuff. I thought most people who love Halo and had chance to play original did so and loved it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I can't recall any game that k didn't like at first but enjoyed on a second or third attempt. As examples, I had high hopes for both Oblivion and Destiny. Both were incredibly shit. 

I'm going Vanquish will click when I get back to it, and I'm gonna give Wondeful 101 a second chance at some point.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    TheDJR wrote:
    LA Noire is great.

Isn't.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I didn't get on with vanquish first time round do either.

Then I retried it a year later, and still didn't like it.

I'm not giving it a third whirl. I have just bought dotd w101 though, so more fool me.
  • I don't give second chances.
  • First time, every time.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    RE4. Boughted on GC pretty much straight away. Played it once, didn't get far thought it was shite. Came back to it about six months later and had the best time in gaming for years. Absolute stone cold classic.

Similar thing with Mass Effect. Didn't like the way it played initially, so only played about an hour before putting it away. News of the second one got me intrigued and decided to give it another go. Still didn't fully gel with me, but loved th universe they'd setup. By the time I got to ME2 I was hooked.
  • I liked Halo: CE first time, but wasn't really bowled over by it. Played through on Normal and moved on.

It was only when I gave it another shot later and upped the difficulty that I really got what was special about it.

Still couldn't be arsed with the sequels though.
  • ...if you believe that a love can hit the top you gotta play around.
    And soon you will find that there comes a time for making your mind up.

Yeah, thanks a lot for burying  that in my head.

I uninstalled Dark Souls twice before installing it a third time and completing it.

I bought and sold Dark Souls II twice before buying it a third time and completing it.

They both take sooooo long and my time felt too precious, turns out I was wrong.
  • i don't think i've ever re-bought a game after not liking it initially. if i played games as much now as i did when i was younger, there'd be more chance stuff like the forum might influence me to try games again, but these days games rarely get a first chance never mind a second one!
    in my youth, games were too precious, and i mainly bought my games on import through the SNES, N64 and Gamecube era - which meant a lot of saving to buy them and then nowhere easy for trading...so games were bought and enjoyed!  It could be that i only picked great games, but it's probably as much that back them i'd make the most of whatever game i had, whereas now games seem much more disposable.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I think Souls already seems like a popular answer in this thread but it's mine too. Bought Dark Souls in a digital Xbox sale. Played it for an hour, couldn't understand the fuss, couldn't get over the clunkiness and the absolute lack of hand-holding. Sacked it. Think it sat there on my hard drive for around a year until I went back in (and only because a friend was raving) and now it's one of my all time favs.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I keep trying to make myself love the souls series. Will probably buy DkS3 too
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Good point about scarcity of games meaning you put more effort into them. With PS+ and major releases on PS4, Wii U and 3DS I just have so many games I could stop buying more now and probably play them for a couple of years.

Actually that's not a bad idea. Just stop buying anything new, play what I've got and then buy all the big releases in a couple of years when they are all Chalice priced.
  • The only things I've bothered to buy for my Xbone are Halo MCC and Gta5 - both older games. I'm increasingly playing older stuff
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Can't thunk of anything other than shmups (Galuda and Ketsui spring to mind).

If nothing else this thread reminds me I really need to give Dark Souls another go.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Can't thunk of anything other than shmups (Galuda and Ketsui spring to mind). If nothing else this thread reminds me I really need to give Dark Souls another go.

Shmups are a genre that feel very meh on the first few playthroughs. They only start to show their charm when you get a feel of the scoring or subtleties. I thought Mushi Futari was a bit formulaic on first playing. Admittedly this opinion was only held for a day or two when I went back to it. I still believe it to be the best STG I have ever had the pleasure of playing.

Gunbird 2 is another that looks so dull and samey , and feels that way initially too - but it gradually sucks you in once you start to get it.

I wasn't that enamoured with Tetris first time I played it - but that was probably because the first version I played was on the Amstrad CPC464 and it was a pretty shit implementation - even the "best game ever" needs a decent coding job.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!