Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Spock wrote:
    I wrote thing, 'lil novella. Been a hectic year. Please feel free to critique. https://www.inkitt.com/JamesBoylan

Spock...dude...I somehow missed this post.  Will definitely read it when I have a quiet moment or two.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Things are getting emotional.  This bedtime story that has suddenly become a doorstopper is almost complete.  I never knew I had it in me.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    What about you, tiger.  Up to much?
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I writted a couple of emails today
  • Ayo lads, not directly story writing, but I love this guy's channel, worth a watch if you're into storytelling in one form or another at least imho.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    That was a decent watch, that, Rouj.  Haven’t seen Rocky for a while, and not my sort of film, but interesting.  I’m definitely following my own path, at least.  For good or for bad.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’d also say that, had I still been in the business or writing screenplays, I’d definitely still be doing things the ‘Rocky’ way.  I’m also certainly doing it wrong right now.  Once I’ve finished a first draft I’ll take a look at what other people think I should be doing.  I’m ready to read a few books.  Ready to take some advice, ready to ignore some too.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    What about you, tiger.  Up to much?
    Absolutely minimal. Knocked out 2,000 words of a new short last weekend but hadn't written or submitted anything in a long time until that, other than a couple of bits I wrote a few years ago that I sent off around Christmas. One is in the final round of consideration at a semi-pro paying venue and the other is still in slush.

Still can't decide what kind of writer I want to be. Need to actually do some writing to figure it out though!

EDIT: Had a reprint of my siren story published a couple of days ago. That's something!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Link?
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Now that’s a bit more like it.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Have you, tiger, or anyone else here, ever written a novel before?
    Get schwifty.
  • Nah. I've got about 35,000 (pretty good) words of one down. I get distracted too easily. Scout was working on one.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Why do you get distracted?
    Get schwifty.
  • Hmm.

That's probably only a part of it. I get distracted by having ideas for shorter stories which simply wouldn't fit in with the novel as it is. Nor can I decide if I want to be closer to a Mieville or a Rundell or a Pullman and that inhibits me somewhat, leaving me floundering with The Novel, whereas with short stories I feel the weight less and feel like I can play a little bit more.

There's also the crippling doubt of failure. What if nobody will read it?! It's much easier on the ego to have not written a novel rather than having written one and not be able to get it published. 

I think, in many ways, making a Good Sale early in my writing career has been a massive problem for me as it has led to an unhealthy arrogance. There are markets I'm only now just considering submitting to as I perceived my writing as too good for them - Yet I saw a tweet earlier from someone delighted to sell to the above anthology after her story had been rejected 18 times from other venues. I've not submitted any of my stories 18 times, and almost shy away from submitting to certain markets because I've fallen into hubris.

I'm also incredibly impatient and send stories out without giving them resting time. 

I have a multitude of flaws, you see!
  • Tigro, what if you wrote a book something that was the kind you would like to read yourself?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Raiziel wrote:

I wrote one once.  I made lots of classic stupid mistakes (chief amongst them was thinking that I had “finished” after the first draft, rather than realising that I’d only done the easy bit).

I got some quite nice feedback from various agents that I sent it to, but no-one fancied taking it on, and I completely gave up on it. 

Keep meaning to go back to it, or finish the kids story I started (20,000 words written) but I tell myself I don’t have the time.  (Whilst watching loads of TV and playing games...)
  • Roujin wrote:
    Tigro, what if you wrote a book something that was the kind you would like to read yourself?
    I do typically, but I like quite a range of books.

The stuff I actually get around to finishing is typically the stuff I like reading best (non-standard fantasy with a dusting of obscure language).
  • Raiziel wrote:
    I'm up to 91,000 on mine now and nearing the end of a first draft. I haven't been able to find a dedicated block of time to get it finished. I need to stop looking for the perfect writing time and just start getting it done, snatching an hour here and there whenever I have time.
  • The Break is a series of short monologues for BBC3 written by new writers. They just released season 3 today, all written and directed by Scottish types like me. I wrote number 4, A Vocal Minority. Give it a gander if you've got a spare 6 mins.

• Hard copy arrived today. First page, first edit they made, and they fucking missed out words, meaning it makes no sense. I also noticed an erroneous comma on the first page which was taken out on first publication but these guys didn't spot it. To be fair, I hadn't clocked it either but IT'S CALLED EDITING FFS.

Won't be submitting to them again.
  • I'll give it a try, Scout!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Scout wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    I'm up to 91,000 on mine now and nearing the end of a first draft. I haven't been able to find a dedicated block of time to get it finished. I need to stop looking for the perfect writing time and just start getting it done, snatching an hour here and there whenever I have time.

Good going, Scout.  I don’t think I would ever finish mine unless I grabbed any spare moment I could.
    Get schwifty.
  • Oof, knocked out 3400 odd words on a short story today. Will be relatively rough but I've given it an initial sweep. Once I've tidied it up some more I'll post here for feedback if anyone has the time!

This is the start...
    Spoiler:
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    One thing stood out: ‘childish minds’ in the penultimate sentence.  Might young minds be better?  Enjoyed it though, tiger.  Glad you’re writing again.

After thirteen months I’m finally going to finish the first draft of The Kite Flyer’s Tale this week.  *gulp*
    Get schwifty.
  • Oof, knocked out 3400 odd words on a short story today. Will be relatively rough but I've given it an initial sweep. Once I've tidied it up some more I'll post here for feedback if anyone has the time! This is the start...
    Spoiler:

"I simply chose the wrong daughter," is a magnificent opener.  Loved it, and really glad to see you're writing again.

(You might want to check that final "to".  Other than that, I've got nothing - it was great.)
  • Cheers, chaps. Two good spots and both now edited. Hoping to knock out the remaining troublesome section today or tomorrow.
    Raiziel wrote:
    After thirteen months I’m finally going to finish the first draft of The Kite Flyer’s Tale this week.  *gulp*

Hell of an achievement. I really need to focus on my novel or it will never, ever, ever get finished!
  • First draft finished!

Any thoughts would be appreciated, as always. :)
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Will read, tiger, but not before I’ve completed my folly. Every morsel of free time I have is now poured into that, although after a sixteen hour day I tried writing for an hour last night and all I managed was half a page of absolute nonsense. Put a line through it and went to bed. Don’t write tired, kids.
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!