Holidays
  • I say mildly...
  • Kazuo wrote:
    Jetting off for a week of heatstroke and wine in Florence to celebrate turning 31. Judging by the news I've picked a great time to flee the country.

Yeah, because Italy is in a much better place than us, right?
  • I mean, probably?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kazuo wrote:
    Jetting off for a week of heatstroke and wine in Florence to celebrate turning 31. Judging by the news I've picked a great time to flee the country.

You might not be allowed back in...
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I'm off to Hong Kong in just under a week*. Any recommendations for what I should go and see? I've got a few ideas, but I'd be interested in what the badgers have to say. I'm definitely going to investigate popping over the delta to Macau.

*Yes, I know. Shitty time. But I'd planned this trip for ages, dammit, and I won't be intimidated.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm not sure that's a good idea at all. I don't know how localised the protests are but it looks fairly nuts there. Could be the news is just blowing it out of proportion I suppose. I was in Burma when the police were going nuts against the monks and protesters and I didn't have any problems at all. But then again Burma is a fairly big country and Hong Kong is just a city.
  • Don a press vest and he’ll be fine.  I keep one to visit all the interesting places.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    I'm off to Hong Kong in just under a week*. Any recommendations for what I should go and see? I've got a few ideas, but I'd be interested in what the badgers have to say. I'm definitely going to investigate popping over the delta to Macau. *Yes, I know. Shitty time. But I'd planned this trip for ages, dammit, and I won't be intimidated.

Total respect. Me and the missus have wanted to go to Egypt and Turkey for years now...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Kowloon and Mount Victoria are both amazing, as is the whole city really. Can't really think of any survive recommendations within though I'm afraid!
  • In addition to what muzzy said.

Hong Kong has a few nice measures. The science museum is ok...not all that, but maybe worth checking out a couple of the art and history ones.

Also, get the ferry across the port. It’s used as public transport so it’s dirt cheap, and on a good day you’ll have a lovely view.

Also...shopping? It’s a good place to check out games, electronics and clothes. That’s what a lot of people go there for. There’s a couple of areas that often have retro machines and imports, so that may be worth checking.
  • Me and the missus have wanted to go to Egypt and Turkey for years now...

Turkey is fine. Stuff going on in Egypt? I’ve not kept up to date. 

I’ve wanted to go to Palestine for years and years. Maybe one day when Palestine is free or when Israel / Israelis aren’t so harsh and intimidating. 

My wife’s sister and brother in law going this week though... clearly have more patience and courage than I do but they don’t have kids.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    All I know of Hong Kong came from watching Yellowthread Street, which was like an exotic Bergerac with guns, at least to my 4  year old mind. Didn;t seem like somewhere that was safe to visit though
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    This is the travel advice from the FCO. Basically, stay vigilant, avoid areas near active protests and take out comprehensive travel insurance. It doesn't seem to suggest not going though so as long as you follow the advice I'm sure you'll be fine.
    Summary

Still current at:
    2 October 2019
    Updated:
    30 September 2019
    Latest update:

Summary - removal of information on planned protest of 28-29 September: Updated information on protests likely to take place on 1 October

In recent months, large-scale political demonstrations have taken place throughout Hong Kong. Protests have affected many areas, including those popular with tourists. While a number of peaceful activities have taken place, many other protests have led to clashes between police and protesters involving significant violence. Reports suggest a number of protests are likely to take place on 1 October across Hong Kong Island, Kowloon, the New Territories, and Hong Kong Airport – none have police authorisation.

The situation around protests and public gatherings can change quickly, with the potential for violence, especially during unauthorised protests. Unauthorised protests have been met by a more rapid and severe police response, including heavy use of tear gas, bean bag rounds and “sponge grenades”. Police have also deployed water cannon and, occasionally, rubber bullets. Protests can deviate from planned routes or rally locations and spill over into nearby public spaces, such as shopping centres, housing estates and public transport hubs. If you’re in an area where demonstrations are taking place, you should remain vigilant, follow the advice of local authorities and move away quickly to a safe place if there are signs of disorder.

Demonstrations may lead to sections of the city being closed off and road blocks being set up. During recent protests, local buses, metro (MTR), Airport Express services and the Hong Kong Macao Ferry Terminal have temporarily suspended operations without warning. Violent protests have also taken place inside or near MTR stations. You should remain vigilant at all times and check live service updates on the MTR website.

Protests and violent clashes at Hong Kong International Airport have previously resulted in mass cancellations of flights in and out of Hong Kong. Further disruption is possible if protests return to the airport or its transport links. If you’re due to travel, check your flight status regularly, keep up to date with the latest developments via local media and consider allowing extra time to travel to the airport and complete check-in procedures.

There are reports of greater scrutiny from mainland authorities at border crossings between the mainland and Hong Kong at this time, including checks on travellers’ electronic devices. You should be aware that the thresholds for detention and prosecution in China differ from those in Hong Kong.

Although there’s no recent history of terrorism in Hong Kong, attacks can’t be ruled out. See Terrorism

The typhoon season in Hong Kong normally runs from April to October. You should follow the advice of the local authorities. See Natural disasters

You should take sensible precautions against pick pocketing and other street crime. See Crime

572,739 British nationals visited Hong Kong in 2018. Most visits are trouble free.

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Off to the isle of wight for a week. Not quite sure what we'll do there, but looking forward to it. Hopefully some 3ds/Vita time in the evenings, once the girls are snoozing...
  • Sounds nice.
    My wife suggested we use the time I’m signed off and get a short getaway in to help me relax.
    Trouble is going anywhere for me is stressful and spending a few days away with two mental 3 year olds is the exact opposite of what I need right now.

Instead I’ve been looking at a nice 3 day getaway with my old man, just the two of us and a quiet lake cabin somewhere where we can fish, sit by a fire and drink beer. That sounds like heaven. Any suggestions for locations?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Off to the isle of wight for a week. Not quite sure what we'll do there, but looking forward to it. Hopefully some 3ds/Vita time in the evenings, once the girls are snoozing...

How old are the girls? There's a fair bit to do re days out.

I'll edit this based on what we did there when my daughter was 7/8 - been there twice recently.

Blackgang Chine - quite bizarre theme park with bits dated all the way from Victorian era. Should be open late with illuminations at this time of year. Never thought my daughter would want me to buy her a cap gun so she could blast up the wild west town but she did. plus she loves the rollercoaster. You pay once and get free repeat visits.

The IoW zoo isn't the best and there's probably still building work going on, but the monkey sanctuary was very good. When I last went over the autumn half term they had really good free guided talks

There's the needles thats the usual tourist draw, with a rather rickety sit-in cable car that takes you down to the beach...

Weather doesn't look too bad. Sandown beach is the nicer beach, but shanklin has things like the amusements and crazy golf - not sure how quick the parking at shanklin will go outside of the summer hols.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Sounds nice.
    My wife suggested we use the time I’m signed off and get a short getaway in to help me relax.
    Trouble is going anywhere for me is stressful and spending a few days away with two mental 3 year olds is the exact opposite of what I need right now.

Instead I’ve been looking at a nice 3 day getaway with my old man, just the two of us and a quiet lake cabin somewhere where we can fish, sit by a fire and drink beer. That sounds like heaven. Any suggestions for locations?

That sounds great. Unfortunately I've got no ideas for locations, but maybe if you watch Mortimer and Whitehouse Go Fishing you might be inspired by one of their getaways?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Gremill wrote:
    Sounds nice.

That sounds great. Unfortunately I've got no ideas for locations, but maybe if you watch Mortimer and Whitehouse Go Fishing you might be inspired by one of their getaways?

YES! That’s a great series and a brilliant shout
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • If I was your wife, I would struggle not to have issues with this.

just sayin

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • There are loads of places in Scotland on Air BnB that would fit that criteria.
  • g.man wrote:
    If I was your wife, I would struggle not to have issues with this.

just sayin

g.man

Me too. You gotta try to work things out, I've seen a lot of comments about your wife which put me on notice. Holiday thread stuff mostly. Don't wait until it's too late.

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Edit: I'll post it when home, imgur app is shit
  • Off to Fuertaventura today for a week of doing fuck all.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:

How old are the girls? There's a fair bit to do re days out.

I'll edit this based on what we did there when my daughter was 7/8 - been there twice recently.

Blackgang Chine - quite bizarre theme park with bits dated all the way from Victorian era. Should be open late with illuminations at this time of year. Never thought my daughter would want me to buy her a cap gun so she could blast up the wild west town but she did. plus she loves the rollercoaster. You pay once and get free repeat visits.

The IoW zoo isn't the best and there's probably still building work going on, but the monkey sanctuary was very good. When I last went over the autumn half term they had really good free guided talks

There's the needles thats the usual tourist draw, with a rather rickety sit-in cable car that takes you down to the beach...

Weather doesn't look too bad. Sandown beach is the nicer beach, but shanklin has things like the amusements and crazy golf - not sure how quick the parking at shanklin will go outside of the summer hols.

I meant to say thanks for this! Had a good week, including some of ^, with Robin Hill, The Garlic Farm (lush good!) and Mottistone Manor our other highlights
  • No problem. Always tricky making recommendations!
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • g.man wrote:
    If I was your wife, I would struggle not to have issues with this.

just sayin

g.man

Me too. You gotta try to work things out, I've seen a lot of comments about your wife which put me on notice. Holiday thread stuff mostly. Don't wait until it's too late.

It’s ok, we’re just very different in this way. She gets her energy and recharges by being around lots of people and spending time away. That exhausts me, I’m quite a recluse in some ways and I recharge by being on my own and not talking.
    She gets this and it works for us, she and I have an understanding that sometimes she just needs to leave me on my own for a while to get my head back in the right space. And sometimes it’s easier for her to book a few days away here and there with her family to allow this.
    She wins, I win.
  • No worries, obv don't know the background. Hope you are having a good break
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Off to Berlin with Ev in January, any top tips apart from
    wrapping up warm to survive the winter?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Film museum innit
  • Surely it’s a couple of club nights with Noxy? You can’t not do that can you?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!