Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Pula beach isn't amazing but Sarah and I aren't really that bothered about beaches so it didn't bother us.  Chia is a much nicer beach and is quite big.  It was packed every time we saw it so decided to head down just before sunrise one morning and had the whole beach to ourselves which was really nice.
  • Thanks Goober, chia beach looks nice.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It's probably the best beach I saw while there. The one on the west coast is massive, but it's also in the middle of no where and that is all there is there, so it wouldn't be somewhere you wanted to stay.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    The lady and I are going to a wedding in Edinburgh in late November and thinking of adding a few days on to the trip to visit the highlands but wondered if it's worth visiting at that time of year? If it's likely to be lots of rain/snow then I'd be tempted to plan a separate trip in spring or autumn.

It appears to be mostly accessible by car (weather permitting) so the plan would be to stop at a few different places. Picked up a book today about the highlands and islands but any recommendations for places to go or things to see are very welcome. As are any other factors worth considering.

The alternative is we just do an extra couple of days in Edinburgh, which would still be great, and maybe somewhere else more local.
  • There are a fair amount of road closures that time of year but the big roads (A82 up the west side and A9 up the east-ish) should be okay.  Glen Coe is less than 3 hours out of Edinburgh and is amazing (if you manage to miss the storms).  Aviemore is about the same distance up the A9.  Ferry crossings to islands are limited that time of year.

My advice would be to book a place in Edinburgh which gives the option to drive north for a day but also lets you do Edinburgh things if the weather goes shite (which is quite likely, tbh).  If you book somewhere and can't make it, it's money wasted.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Also Edinburgh is good.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Cosby wrote:
    The lady and I are going to a wedding in Edinburgh in late November and thinking of adding a few days on to the trip to visit the highlands but wondered if it's worth visiting at that time of year? If it's likely to be lots of rain/snow then I'd be tempted to plan a separate trip in spring or autumn. It appears to be mostly accessible by car (weather permitting) so the plan would be to stop at a few different places. Picked up a book today about the highlands and islands but any recommendations for places to go or things to see are very welcome. As are any other factors worth considering. The alternative is we just do an extra couple of days in Edinburgh, which would still be great, and maybe somewhere else more local.
    Get yer sen into Glasgow for a night to and meet the clan up there.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Cosby wrote:
    The lady and I are going to a wedding in Edinburgh in late November and thinking of adding a few days on to the trip to visit the highlands but wondered if it's worth visiting at that time of year? If it's likely to be lots of rain/snow then I'd be tempted to plan a separate trip in spring or autumn. It appears to be mostly accessible by car (weather permitting) so the plan would be to stop at a few different places. Picked up a book today about the highlands and islands but any recommendations for places to go or things to see are very welcome. As are any other factors worth considering. The alternative is we just do an extra couple of days in Edinburgh, which would still be great, and maybe somewhere else more local.
    Get yer sen into Glasgow for a night to and meet the clan up there.
    regmcfly wrote:
    Also Edinburgh is good.

The patter brigade at it again
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Patter brigade?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm being a dick
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Joking about the always glasgow stuff, despite being from there myself
  • Does the SubClub, the Arches and The Garage (clubs) still exist in Glasgow or did they all go to the wall years ago?
  • Palermo this summer. She's normally quite sensible but for reasons still not clear she's worried about dead refugees on beaches, and she's not usually sensationalist​. And she doesn't like the Mafia but who does? I love Palermo and it's many faults but as a tourist it's really quite amazing. I'd live there happily but a holiday will do.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Does the SubClub, the Arches and The Garage (clubs) still exist in Glasgow or did they all go to the wall years ago?
    The Arches died when the police got confused between an easy target and the more problematic issue of converting youthful behaviour into more favourable statistics. The rest is still a thing.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Also Edinburgh is good.

Edinburgh is lovely.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Does the SubClub, the Arches and The Garage (clubs) still exist in Glasgow or did they all go to the wall years ago?
    The Arches died when the police got confused between an easy target and the more problematic issue of converting youthful behaviour into more favourable statistics. The rest is still a thing.

Shame, used to love going to the Arches on a Saturday night as a student. Had some great nights there. Renfew ferry when used as a club with a hole in the wall bar and regular police "random" visits was great. Saw some great acts at the barrowlands as well. Student days were a hoot.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Subclub is a shadow of mid 00s greatness.
    Garage is still cantina from Star Wars
    Renfrew ferry shout gets some love - good times there
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Palermo this summer. She's normally quite sensible but for reasons still not clear she's worried about dead refugees on beaches, and she's not usually sensationalist​. And she doesn't like the Mafia but who does? I love Palermo and it's many faults but as a tourist it's really quite amazing. I'd live there happily but a holiday will do.

She'll be fine, dead refugees would be more likely in Napoli. Palermo is on the North coast od Sicily, so unless the refugees decided to paddle all the way round the island, in which case they likely deserved to turn up dead, the dumbasses
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I was in Napoli for new years eve two years ago and feared for my life.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Matt_82 wrote:
    There are a fair amount of road closures that time of year but the big roads (A82 up the west side and A9 up the east-ish) should be okay.  Glen Coe is less than 3 hours out of Edinburgh and is amazing (if you manage to miss the storms).  Aviemore is about the same distance up the A9.  Ferry crossings to islands are limited that time of year. My advice would be to book a place in Edinburgh which gives the option to drive north for a day but also lets you do Edinburgh things if the weather goes shite (which is quite likely, tbh).  If you book somewhere and can't make it, it's money wasted.

Cheers, Matt. I think we'll stick with Edinburgh this time and maybe fit a day trip somewhere as suggested.

Planning to do a highlands and islands tour sometime next year now which I've wanted to do for ages.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Cosby, if you're about in burgh, lemme know. Me elm, and those lazy glaswegians can probably meet up with you. If you're looking for any recommendations gimme a shout. When are you planning on coming?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Generic day trips from edinburgh - you could go to -

New Lanark - this is where yer man built his "utopia". Has amazing walking trails around it. Real good visitors centre and it has an irl RIDE you can go on.

North Berwick - recently named best place in Scotland to live. It's gorgeous, a wee seaside town, and you can walk up the Law to see the views. There's a massive replica whalebone up there for no reason. For food, go to the herringbone.

Falkirk - go to the Falkirk wheel, which is a fun ride and see the Kelpies statue. I always thought this was a little trite but it's actually real good fun every time I go.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Now if @tigerswiftly could tell me about South Korea....
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Palermo this summer. She's normally quite sensible but for reasons still not clear she's worried about dead refugees on beaches, and she's not usually sensationalist​. And she doesn't like the Mafia but who does? I love Palermo and it's many faults but as a tourist it's really quite amazing. I'd live there happily but a holiday will do.

Further to what Cocko said, I hear it's very tourist friendly over there...
    I mean, how else are the Mafia going to buy guns without your money?

I'd like to go, but don't know if it will happen this year.

Anyone speak the lingo? Especially any of you who have picked it up as a second language.
    I may need to start learning...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Very different dialect in Sicily, almost it's own language in truth

I understand a little Italian but hardly speak any, however when my mother is talking her twang is so Sicilian, I find it really hard to follow
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I was in Napoli for new years eve two years ago and feared for my life.

It looked rough as a Badgers arse when I was there. Didn't hang around for long.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Heh. I remember passing through on the way to Sorrento on our honeymoon. Thought we'd made a huge mistake until we went further away round the coast.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Cosby, if you're about in burgh, lemme know. Me elm, and those lazy glaswegians can probably meet up with you. If you're looking for any recommendations gimme a shout. When are you planning on coming?

Nice one, Reg. Would be great to meet you fellas if you're around. We'll be there for 4-5 days from 29th November.

Any recommendations for food/beers/sights are gratefully received. I think we're likely to go with airbnb for our stay too so any areas to focus on or avoid would also be really useful, cheers.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!