Holidays
  • Going to visit my bro in Oslo for a few days at the start of December, just sorted the flights. Despite being an old man, this is the first time I've ever had to fly anywhere on my own, and with the exception of said brother's stag do in Madrid last year and a weekend in Whitby in the summer this is the first thing approaching a holiday instead of just sitting around at home I've had since 2012.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    Going to visit my bro in Oslo for a few days at the start of December, just sorted the flights. Despite being an old man, this is the first time I've ever had to fly anywhere on my own, and with the exception of said brother's stag do in Madrid last year and a weekend in Whitby in the summer this is the first thing approaching a holiday instead of just sitting around at home I've had since 2012.

It'll be great.  I have a soft spot for Oslo as we went there on Honeymoon (it was the first stop, before travelling up the fjords) - the first night we were there, they had a huge firework display at the waterside, and we pretended to ourselves that they'd put it on for our benefit.

(Though, ironically given the conversation on the last page, we also had someone try to break into our hotel room.  Which, yeah, on the first night of your honeymoon isn't ideal - though the would be burglar was almost as freaked out as we were.)
  • anyone been to Vienna? Any recommendations? I'm going in late Jan/Feb
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • So I haven't had more than 4 days in a row holiday in 9 an a half years. Kids eh?

Friday we fly out to Australia, for 3 weeks.

Fuck me I'm looking forward to it. There have been several times in the last few months when it's looked like we would end up cancelling, but now it seems all engines are go.

First ever time kids will flying (5, 7, and 10) so they are going hard... Wish we luck.
    Can-of-sprite
  • Sounds awesome mate. Good luck!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's a nightmare journey, that third flight is a killer.

Make the most of it once you're there though, where are you going?
  • It's a nightmare journey, that third flight is a killer.

Make the most of it once you're there though, where are you going?

Just the two flights for us, Heathrow to Singapore, then on to Melbourne.

We are planning to spend most of the time in Melbourne with family, but might pop to Sydney, or South Australia.
    Can-of-sprite
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    We did Newcastle>Amsterdam>Singapore>Perth. Absolute killer, and not even enough time to have a squint at Singapore on the way.

Never been to the east coast, did Perth both times because we have family there.
  • Oh man that sounds like a nightmare journey to do with kids.
    Godspeed good sir
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • 2 flights ain't so bad. Especially stopping at Singapore as it's a very nice airport and plenty of shops to kill time in if you have a bit of a wait. There's a butterfly garden there too Skade which the kids might like.

If you feel like catching up with some badgers I'm sure we could organise a mini Melbourne stock. Even just for a quick drink. Oh and even though I'm currently away I've been hearing tales of 40degree days and 30degree nights at the moment, so good luck!

I'm sure you'll have plenty of suggestions but I do recommend the Melbourne Zoo, it's really great and you get to be very close to the animals. You can pet a giant turtle! Also there's Red Pandas and they are the best.
  • I'm currently at Bali airport where my transport service picked me up from my hotel so that I was here 3 hours before my flight. I like to get to the airport early but not usually that early.

I checked the board and my flight isn't on there. Turns out it's been delayed from 230pm to 5pm...
    Which also means I get home at 140am before I'm supposed to start work at 8am... Fun fun.
  • Oooof! God speed Shabs.
  • I'll be looking out for that butterfly garden at Singapore cheers Shabs.

A lot of stuff has been pre organised by in laws, so zoo and Philip Island are set in stone for visits. Would like to try and catch Aussie Badgers for a beer, will have to see what days/nights I am free.

Hope your flight didn't get further delayed mate, once spent 14 hours in Athens Airport in 40 degree heat due to delays, fucking horrendous.
    Can-of-sprite
  • Luckily it was on time for its delay. The airport was pretty humid though so I was pretty gross by the time we got to boarding. Was definitely glad to be home but I'll be even gladder to be in bed tonight with no work tomorrow!

And no worries Skade. Let us know if you manage to find some time. I'm shift work so pretty easy on time/day.
  • Anybody got kids about 4 and 2 and got a good holiday recommendation? We usually go rockley park (haven in poole) via The Sun newspaper deals but fancy a change. Around June! We are probably going Centre Parcs as well later in the year so thats out. Haven't flown with the kids yet, starting to think we might be maybe ready to try it
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've only taken Isla to Cornwall and the south of France. I think kids can have fun doing anything a bit different though, it's all an adventure to them.
  • Just booked our third trip to the Sani resort in Greece baby!
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Anyone done the Amalfi Coast in Italy? We were looking at driving it but reading online people say it's a nightmare with how busy it is and the other drivers. We're still considering it but just taking a ferry between each town
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Oh ho ho that’s a crazy route full of crazy drivers! Drive at your own risk, and only if you’re a damn good driver, under pressure. We took public transport and were at times scared shitless. Some proper cliff edge route.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Wouldn't drive there if I was paid.  Coming out of Napoli airport (on the bus) I barely saw a car that didn't have huge damage.  They don't care.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've probably said this before, but when I was in Rome one of the locals told me this saying.

"In Milan traffic lights are instructions, in Rome they are recommendations and in Napoli they are decorations."
  • Soooo planning against driving now lol. Instead will bus/ferry our way around we think

Thanks for the advice guys
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    JAPAN IS BOOKED.

It's not masses of excitement here, flora has gone into mad panic about the scale of the thing, but she thinks (?!) She's happy, so that's something. It'll take a bit of time to get adjusted to it, but at least we are there
  • How long are you going for? I want to go again one day.
  • Good work H. Hopefully it'll be a good break for you both.
  • Nice one Reg. Know where you're going this time?
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Going down to Florida with the twins to celebrate my 50th (still not believing that!) in March. My brother is flying over from Scotland with my niece. It’s going to be a lot of fun and a good break from this winter.

Disney/Universal tickets are booked. Will be looking to go to restaurants we don’t get at home. Anyone got recommendations? All kinds of cuisine are fine.
    Things can only get better.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Anyone been to Madeira?

Also, I've not been Florida, so can't help there.
    I'm intrigued though, if anyone's been...

I keep thinking of Scarface, crocodiles, and Roger Moore (though apparently, the chase I was thinking of was set in Louisiana)...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Florida is full of good steak restaurants. I think that's all they eat there.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Steaks sounds good, no offence Kow.
    Things can only get better.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!