Life is Strange / Life is Amaze
  • Might get episodic rather than wait for all of them.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It me. I just wanted to say that having got through the end of Life is Strange 1, and getting through the first episode of Before the Storm, that Before of the Storm seems so much better to me at this point that's it's not even funny. It's like the developers read my mind and fixed the things I had issues with in the first game, like the terrible cliche dialogue, shoving references to pop culture things in your face constantly, contrived set piece "puzzles" and how the time power ultimately leaves you completely disengaged from the choices you're making and you just don't care. 

So huzzah Before the Storm, pls pls pls don't fuck it up because there are only 2 episodes left, not including the Max epilogue (which I am really looking forward to, if it's the current writing team that did it, not the Dontnod guys) and there are quite a few things floating around that seem like they would be something the game would want to address so hopefully it doesn't just let everything build up and then shit the bed in the final episode when they run out of time. 

Also the writing on your hand as a way of remembering what your objective is is one of the cleverest little touches I think I've ever seen in a game. So well done for that.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Crossposting.

I wrote this piece about Life Is Strange and neoliberal concepts of choice and guilt, which has just been published:

Choice, Guilt and Life Is Strange

Do read, share, applaud (on Medium) etc.
  • Great read Jon.  Recently re-played the game myself and enjoyed your perspective.
    There is a recent Edge Time Extend on LIS that in part speaks about being mature enough to follow the game's narrative through to the canon ending.  Maybe it's just the wording but that didn't really sit right with me.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I think maybe they're right that that was the intention (being mature enough to accept fate), but it's a shame they don't read more into the fact that there is a choice (putting it down to a concession to TellTale style game design).

For me the presence of the choice changes the meaning of the whole game, even regardless of the decision you make. And actually the whole idea of a 'canon' ending seems odd to me, because it's a game and whatever you choose is your ending. Without the idea that some choices can be significant after all the others have proved to be insignificant, it would all feel very resigned and pessimistic.
  • Agree with that.

BTW.  In case anyone hadn't read the Time Extend and wanted to, here it is

https://www.pcgamer.com/time-extend-life-is-strange/
  • Welp, made it to the end of episode 2 of Before the Storm and it's got me feeling some kind of way.

It's just shitting on Life is Strange so hard that I'd pay for a remaster of the original but written by the writers for Before the Storm.

Going to start on Episode 3 tomorrow, I really hope they don't run into the same problem they had in Life is Strange where nothing got resolved until the last episode where there just want enough time left to do it.

Right now, assuming Episode 3 doesn't jump the shark, Before the Storm is easily in my All Time Top Ten. Such literacy, many feels, wow.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    all time top ten

lads
  • ALL 

TIME

TEN

REACTION SHOT OF ROUJIN PLAYING EPISODE 2 OF BEFORE THE STORM:

a00100d181694a1b91a8bde13fb44038.jpg
  • Also I just found out Life is Strange 2 is being done by Dontnod, so pfffffhahahahahahhahahah I cannot wait to wade into that steaming trash pile (still tho, I would like to be presently surprised) after Before the Storm.
  • So, Before the Storm Episodes 1-3 done. 

Here's my hot take fresh off the press and end of strim. 

EDIT: IF YOU WANT TO PLAY BEFORE THE STORM THERE ARE SPOILERS IN THIS WALL OF TEXT. I will hide it for you now, np, yw.
    Spoiler:
    In conclusion this has been a terrible review of a game that's barely a game that really left me feeling some kind of a way. Like when you finish a really good book or a TV show and you almost feel sad that it's over. 

10/10 easily in Roujin's Top 10 of all time, possibly in the top 5 after I sleep on it, possibly in the top 3 at Regstock after I have a few and start crying.
  • Wow high praise. I need to get on it.
  • I would suggest playing Life is Strange if you haven't first, even if it totally shits the bed at the end.
  • Played that at Xmas yonks ago when they released it for cheap as a bundle, I liked it but not amazing.
  • Okay cool. Then you're all set to see how it should have been done. All hail based Deck Nine (shame Episode 3 doesn't reach the heights of Episode 1 or 2 but then if it had, I would have to consider this for all time number one Roujin's favourite game, a position that has not had a new contender throw it's hat into the ring since Fallout 2 ousted UFO Enemy Unknown twenty something years ago).
  • Nice write up Roujin, glad you loved it.  Top game.
  • Mate, I'm still shook. I feel like I have so much to say about it still. It's been in the back of my mind the whole time since finishing it. 

Was reading various opinions online, really interesting mix of opinions on it. 

I'll be starting the Epilogue on the stream tomorrow, but I almost feel like putting it off, I don't want to have no more adventures left (apart from Life is Strange 2) with Max or Chloe. 

Feels bad man pining over a couple of fictional teenage girls.
  • Finished Before the Storm recently and it's.... okay. I'm not as critical as Roujin at dontnod's efforts as I kind of like the first game due to it's overarching themes of consequence and fate.

BTS is a worthy prologue though, character development is great and we get to see how Cloe becomes ehmm, Cloe. Rachel gets fleshed out a bit too and yes, you get to choose the nature of Cloe and Rachel's relationship. If you choose to go the romantic path you won't get hot steaming lesbo scenes but slightly awkward dialogue of 2 teen girls exploring their new relationship. Realistic, as it should be but pervs will walk away disappointed..

There's a final scene linking it to the first game. Fate still has a role to play.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • As it's a prequel you don't have to do all that tedious time rewind, trial and error, bullshit?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • No, there are no supernatural powers. There's a back talk mechanic that optionally gets used against characters Chloe thinks she can get away with cheeking where you watch her engage in a teenage wannabe rebel's idea of sickbantz while the other person usually just gets confused and frustrated like they can't believe this shit is actually happening.

It's a much smaller story, it's just the story of how Chloe and Rachel first meet and what sets Chloe in the path you find her on at the start of Life is Strange.
  • Okay I dealt with the Epilogue episode earlier. OOF.
  • Just finished episode one of this. I don't think I'm emotionally equipped to play this game.
  • Interesting. I'm halfway through the episode, so far I can see what it's trying to do, but it feels a bit shallow so far, I like the angle they went with the brothers but trying to make me feel bad for the kid is hard when the game lets you be a total jerkoff to him. Also the dialogue in the ambient sections and the scripted sections seems to clash/overlap frequently and is a bit jarring. I'm hoping it gets going one I get into the next bit of the episode. That said being a dick to the kid is proving to be quite entertaining.

The opening "event" had me rolling my eyes though, as a means for propelling you into the story it was 100% schlock.

Dontnod should have hired Deck Nine before they got pinched by Squeenix to make their own game imho.
  • Sorry, I meant I'm playing the first game.
  • Ah okay cool! Enjoy the ride and keep us posted on how you get on!
  • Okay so despite The Amazing Adventures of Captain Spirit featuring the classic Dontnod inability to restrain themselves for any given amount of time when trying to set the scene for their various emotive works and despite the cliche Dad and YET ANOTHER DEAD OR MISSING PARENT as a driver for events directly preceeding the story, this was quite a lot better than the first episode of Life is Strange 2, imo, fucking lol. 

Fuck the cameo at the end though, they are gonna ruin poor Captain Spirit by the end of Life is Strange. 

The camera shots and the snowy locale were *italian chef hand kiss/flourish gesture* though.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I played through Life is Strange and Before the Storm in the last month after having meant to play them for ages but then suddenly having them both available via Gamepass. Excellent storytelling despite sporadically clunky implementation... Is the extra episode in Before the Storm good? I missed being able to buy this discounted recently so I may just watch a vid.
    Spoiler:
  • Yes
  • It's worth it for one last bit of max and chloe and also if you want to lol at the logistics and the implications for the max and chloe dynamic the final scenes provide.

Deck Nine > Dontnod everytime.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!