Mad Max
‹ Previous1234567
  • MadMax.jpg

Official Website

Out 1 Sep on PS4, XBO & PC

From Avalanche, who make Just Cause, which I can’t help but think is a good thing.  I’ve had this pre-ordered for a while and didn’t realise it was due so soon.  There are a fair few gameplay videos doing the rounds, but in case you haven’t seen one or can’t be arsed looking, here’s one:

Anyone else on board with this?
  • Can't watch vid right now. 

Open world? All driving? Just Cause with MM skin?
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Open world, with mission structure, map revealed as you find outposts, vehicular and non-vehicular combat.
  • I'm keeping an eye on it, but it depends how heavy the vehicle customisation and levelling is.  I prefer to get more powerful automatically, rather than tinker with variables myself.  I'm not keen on choices for upgrades in games - for example in Arkham Knight, it took me ages to stop fretting about having chosen the shitter of the two offered Batmobile upgrades every time. 

If you can hit an 'ALL' button and do this:
    Spoiler:

plus have the option to play the game as a linear experience by going from main mission waypoint to main mission waypoint, I'm potentially in.  It does look rather good.
  • Heard it's a bit of a disaster hence they are releasing it on the same day as mgsv. Seen a couple of videos where it looks like it still needs a lot of work
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Heard it's a bit of a disaster hence they are releasing it on the same day as mgsv. Seen a couple of videos where it looks like it still needs a lot of work

Insider knowledge rev ? Nudge nudge

Nice to have you back x
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • That vid could be worse. The driving and actual open desert and weather effects look spot on.

Everything else looks as generic as fuck, and the map is way too info heavy for my liking.

Fighting looks to be batman clone, which is fine, I guess. Didn't see any of the shooting, if there's any.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    how do you theron
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Farcry on crack. Not full on crack. Disampointer.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • I didn't play Just Cause or Far cry so looks fresh enough to interest me. Plus its Mad Max innit.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Plus. Plus. 

That's where I was coming from.

Hence: Disampointered.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'm not keen on choices for upgrades in games...plus have the option to play the game as a linear experience by going from main mission waypoint to main mission waypoint.

Polar opposite here, I like a nice upgrade tree to forage, I hope this max's (ho!) those RPG bits.  As for linear routes, I'd prefer an open world to explore with question marks to uncover on a huge map, like how the Witcher was and that never got boring, until like 40+ hrs in....

Never knew this is being done be the same people behind JC, that gives me renewed hope
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • So the reviews are beginning to come in and they are really quite positive. Apparently the open world is great and the car combat in particular is really good. In fact, some reviews have mentioned how the game has been a bit harshly done by in regards to a lack of advertising, holdong back review code and releasing alongside mgs 5!
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • It's probably really good, but who in their right mind releases the same week as Metal Gear V...with no advertising?

utter madness

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It'll be cheap as chips when I get round to it, great move guys.
  • My copy hasn't arrived. :(

The PlayStation Access guys are annoying, but they seem to have been having fun with this.

• FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Look forward to your thoughts, I'm interested in this.
  • I'm just over an hour in, a few story missions under my belt, I think I've cleared the first wee area, and I've had a decent amount of time driving and fighting. My first thoughts? Hmmm...

...it's fucking ace fun. The feel of the car, so far, is great, very much what you'd expect for a gas-guzzling beast on dust tracks in a fun action game. The fighting is solid, chunky, thumping, satisfying stuff. It's not a million miles from Arkham Assylum, and thankfully Max feels solidly rooted in the middle of a brawl, not the ridiculous Thor's-hammer ricocheting of Arkham Knight's unsatisfying combat. So far Max is more akin to stand-offish Mel of 2 rather than the unhinged Tom of Fury Road, but that's fine. Chumbucket is vocal enough to enjoy the stylised Milleresque dialogue but not so vocal as to be annoying.

Other things that I'm liking; the (admittedly now commonplace but still a good thing) slo-mo on the final enemy of any group, the look of the world through your binoculars, the fire effects, the sound through your controller of a jerry can as you put it in the back of your car, the notification that you've found all the loot in a given area, footprints in the sand, fleeting glimpses of enemies in the darkness, the fire effects, the feel of kicking a door open, Chumbucket's scurrying animations as he gets thrown around the back of your car, did I mention the fire effects...?

For those asking about vehicle upgrades, so far the story is only unlocking one bit at a time. I'm guessing that, as it goes on, it'll spread out, so you can pick, but basically each aspect (shields, harpoon, thunderpoons, engine, armour and so on) has a linear five or six stage upgrade system, and it doesn't appear as though anything will be reliant on anything else, but I may be wrong.

I'm off to take the dog out for a play, then get back on this.
  • I really liked the look of this from that big E3 trailer and I'm glad to see it's solid. Watched the videogamer "review" which is awful because they're only really good for goofballin' content, but they talked about the interesting issue of the vast wasteland at first feeling barren but then realising it had to be to accommodate the car combat. I hope they're correct in their assertion that the whole plot of the game is just "complete the Magnum Opus" because that all Max really needs. Shame it didn't come out a month or two ago and instead has to reside under the shadow of MGS, which VG noted was particularly galling because they felt both games represented different elements of the Far Cry 2/3 DNA that is written through them. PC visuals are apparently stonking and incredibly customisable, but the thing that suck out for me in a video was the way enemy sniper's scopes glare in the dusk light when you are scoped and looking at them. In fact I only have vague apprehensions around the Arkham style combat, but it's nice to know that it's less Arkham and more Shadow of Mordor/Sleeping Dogs. Also Max himself sadly looks generic as fuck - that's a real downer for me.
  • This looks amazing for a movie tie in.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • It's not really a Fury Road tie-in, it's just set in the MM universe, like the Arkham games aren't Nolanbat tie-ins.
  • In that case I have high hopes.
    Review scores in yet?
  • It's averaging around 70%. As low as 5 and as high as 8 in various places. Eurogamer gave it a recommended stamp.
  • Although not a Fury Road tie-in, so far it looks and feels more like Fury Road than any of the other three films.

Just also unlocked the Max upgrades, similar thing to the vehicle; various categories, each with about six levels.

Max has 10 different upgrade categories, the Magnum Opus has 18.  It looks like the plot pretty much will be 'make Max and car betterer at fighting the bad men you're finding more and more of'.  This is fine
  • 7 is a bit dissapointing but still decent for a new game ip.
    The potential for a sprawling open world with different political factions (gangs) is staggering. Would need a decent script though and some good voice acting to make it all come to life.
  • It's not disappointing.

For those interested in such things, this has a photo mode which, like the one given to The Order 1886 in a later patch, allows you to select different filters, and remove the HUD, not just for photos but for gameplay too.

There could be some nifty videos made of this.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    All games should have optional HUD removal, good work Avalanche.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • For balance, though, I feel I should point out that there isn't much by way of HUD optimisation. Subtitles on or off, tutorial on or off, entire HUD on or off. I wouldn't mind being able to switch on and off different elements of the HUD, and/or tinker with its transparency.  As quibbles go, though, it's a minor one.
  • Read some reviews.  I'll file this with Shadows of Mordor as something I'd like to play once it's stupidly cheap.
‹ Previous1234567

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!