Mad Max
  • It's one of those "I'll just do this little bit then turn it off" games where you actually spend hours just doing the next bit.
  • Bektar wrote:
    Wife got me this as a surprise, I'm pretty fussy about games and this wasn't on my radar. Suffice to say after a couple of hours gameplay I'm enjoying it. It looks good and seems pretty well paced. Hope to explore more of the world and learn how to f##k people up a bit more...as if pulling the driver out of a moving vehicle with a harpoon isn't enough!

You may well have announced yourself elsewhere and if you have then I apologise. But this is the first time I've noticed your name so...welcome! Always nice to see new peeps about.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bektar is Team Clueless.
  • It is a great game for pick up and play. Just maybe hunting some scrap, doing a quick enemy clearout or tracking a stronghold upgrade. The variation in the locations have been really good and everything has had a purpose. I am really loving this.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • @Kow ...I know what that means...
  • Cheers Childintime, I am indeed a relative newbie. Mostly on the Destiny boards as I was roped in as a ringer for Team Clueless. I've now ventured out and started to explore the rest of the boards.
  • There's a first person view (in-car) in this? I had no idea. (double press down on D-pad apparently).

There's a lot to admire here - the gorgeous skyboxes, the general heft of vehicular combat, getting caught in a sandstorm complete with a deadly electrical discharge, it's wonderfully atmospheric stuff.

On-feet stuff though by comparison was always going to suffer. The Batman-combat can be a bit too punishing at times and the inability to save after each encounter whilst clearing out a base can get a tad tiresome.

It's a solid game and I keep on thinking about it while I'm not playing, which is always a good sign. It's a real shame people are overlooking this in favour of hiding in boxes.

Was recently appalled by Mr Biffo's video review where he just compared it repeatedly to that other game that's out at the moment. What's the point in that?

Kotaku have done a nice little reassessment piece since their initial unfavourable review:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/09/11/seven-reasons-actually-love-mad-max

It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I love how I go out with a plan and nearly always get sidetracked.
    Something shiny will catch my eye, or a convoy flies past beggeing to be taken down, or mid sniping a base Buzzards turn up and all of a sudden I'm in an epic vehicular battle across the region.

I got caught in my first storm, christ they are epic, hands down THE best atmospheric effects I have seen in a game, the storms are genuinely scary.
  • The hand-to-hand stuff is getting easier too. Just took down my first boss. Think that unlocks a new spraypaint job for my car (?)  It would've been nice if they had included a few equippable slots for melee weapons though. I keep on dropping mine when entering my car, picking up jerry cans etc.  A proper inventory system wouldn't of gone a miss.

I need to build one of those salvage crew jobbies too.  Having to get out of the car everytime I want to collect scrap from a destroyed enemy vehicle is becoming a bit of a chore.  Wish they had just implemented a 'Mario coin collection' mechanic for scrap metal!

Trade-in Snake and get Max today!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Nicely done! I also notice we are at the same story point!

I have a selection of scarecrows and the odd sniper to deal with in Jeet's territory. And all the convoys...
  • I found Dim Rim's convoy, it's now in firey, fleshy bits. I've also done one of the next story bits, which let me get a load of scrap I could see on the map but was previously forbidden from accessing. I think I'm going to build all the projects in Gutgash's stronghold now. I want to see how it develops aesthetically, and the various replenishing consumables allows for carnage without resource management.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    More forumite vidya plox.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • I am just behind you adkm! Did Dim Rim's convoy which gave me the confidence to clear up all the other convoys in Jeet's area-leading to 100% clear. Loving this game so bloody much
  • I have spoken to Gutgash but decided to go back and rinse Jeet's territory a bit.
    Down to threat level 2 there so next time I am on I am going to crack on with Gutgas.

I have done two convoys, the second one being tougher than the first. Plus two top dogs, the first was straight forward, the second was tougher as there were environmental hazards, although I used them to my advantage after a bit which made him way, way easier.

If I have a criticism at this point it is that the Top Dog and Convoy leaders aren't varied enough (yet, but I heard at all). The other thing is the convoy leaders are somewhat disappointing after watching Fury Road, not the devs fault really but I was hoping for something a bit more epic.

Cannot wait to see Gastown!
  • Okay so I have got to Pink Eye and had an absolute blast of a mission. Easily the best story mission so far. Now going to head back to Gutgash and start clearing!

My Magnum Opus is also beginning to become an absolute death machine.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Nice looking game.
    2015-09-15_00011_zpsbesoxgkd.jpg
  • beano wrote:
    More forumite vidya plox.
    Ask and ye shall receive.

• Real effort expended on the editing there. Good for you man.
  • Great video, soundtrack and editing really captures the game. Want to get home and play now! F#*k work....
  • Cheers guys.  There's that moment where you realise you've committed to a six minute forty second video of 4-8 second clips, but it was fun getting some of the timing, and I'm rather pleased with the result. I was also chuffed with the effect of the only bit of in-game sound, and spotting things I missed during gameplay; the head-on collision with an entire convoy, and the resulting war-boy being dragged across the bonnet.
  • I was there last night, photoshopping hats onto a crowd of hundreds.
  • hahaha
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Something else this game does well: giving me vertigo.  The sense of being at height in some of the camps, especially the ones in cave systems, is really good and, since it's easy to fall off, I've had a few stomach rushing moments.

That's me completed all the projects in Gutgash's strongholds, and while I'd already maxed Max's stats (all the knuckledusters, jacket, ammo belt stuff etc.) I've now maxed out his abilities too (the longevity, volition, essence stuff etc.) that you use the Griffa tokens for.  I'm at the top level of the Road Warrior legend rank, which might be the very top, but it looks like there might be one extra level above it, it's hard to tell from the graphic.

Now, whether to crack on with the story, or mop up the rest of Gutgash's territory...
  • I have barely touched Gutgash (ooer).
    Down to threat level 1 for Meet and just met Pink Eye (ooer ooer).

I was mid way through a camp earlier when a storm kicked up, was great fun kicking ass with all those effects kicking off.

I think I am pacing this a lot like yourself adkm, but I'm a bit worried I am OP. The Jaw was a piece of piss.
  • Just seen Mad Max, fuck me a Mental and an Amazing film. Makes me want to buy this but must stop myself till it's cheaper.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Nice one, adkm. 

I have no idea what's going on but it looks immense. 

It's all campaign isn't it?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • If you mean single player, yes. If you mean progressing the story, ye Gods, no. I don't think anything in that video was done to fulfil a mission requirement. Maybe one of the convoy clips. The rest is just all the stuff there is to do.

@Kernowgaz I went to see it twice at the cinema, and I've watched it at home again since then (and watched the original trilogy). I think watching all the films at home was fuelled by playing the game, though, rather than the other way around. And watching them leaves stuff fresh in the memory which the game then references.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!