Mad Max
  • The character and place names make talking about this game sound rather dodgy.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm still playing, even though the Witcher has sucked me back in. It's a lot of fun but it does get a bit repetitive so breaks are a necessity.
  • I'm finding it really hard to put it down which is why, at quarter to five in the morning, I'm just getting to bed.  It helps that I'm on lates this weekend (I'm not that daft) but once again tonight I found myself thinking, "I'll just do this, oh, but I'll just do that and those on the way..."

I think the last challenge I completed was called something like Revelations, which was for going up in all of the balloons.  On the second last one, I got this shot:

MadMax9.png

I just did a cracking wasteland mission for Pink Eye, the tension was neatly ramped up, I thought it was very well executed.  I'll just say it's (I think) the second mission she gives you, about food.

Pink Eye's territory has yet more cracking variety in its landscapes, it's a pretty sizeable area itself.  I've realised that the ridiculous ramp up in hostility I experienced the other night was in the Dump, the fourth territory, immediately outside Gas Town.  There are a fair few lead-slingers in there, and they don't hang about.

Next plan is to get the clean-up crew parts for Pink Eye's Stronghold, then wrap up the other projects, then start mopping up the area.  I might go back and do the Death Runs in Gutgash and Jeet's territories soon, so as to not leave them until last.

Still having a whale of a time.
  • It's a compulsive little game no doubt (with a big world map) but I sometimes wish they'd have just ditched the Ubisoft model of icons on a map that have to be ticked-off one-by-one, and just let you explore the world instead.  

On a practical level, I don't know how this works ,but there's got to be something better than the well trod Far Cry map design, shirley?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • There is a much smarter game in there somewhere but I am fine with it as is.
  • Yup, they could've tinkered with it, and made something more in-depth. For example, rather than water & food, and injuries sustained being the positive and negative factors on the same health scale, make a dehydration stat, which you have to manage with sensible water rationing, and dehydration then leads to loss of strength and health.

Equally, as somebody pointed out, there could be smart management of scrap, requiring you to take down vehicles in different ways, to make sure you don't damage whichever parts you need to scavenge for your motor. That said, that would make for a different game, and I think the current tone and style of the gameplay suits the environment and atmosphere rather well.
  • I would have preferred a bit more variation in the Top Dogs and Convoy leaders.
  • Yes. I'm going to make a concerted effort to not use thunderpoons on my next convoy, because I've made really short work of my last couple. Given that this comes from Avalanche, I would have thought they could have included the ability to jump from vehicle to vehicle, ripping drivers from their seats, working your way towards a central war machine, resulting in hand to hand combat with war-boys on top of a big-rig as it thunders through the desert.

And, yes, despite intell to the contrary from wasteland wanders, the Top Dogs are generally just a case of dodge-roll to evade their charge, attack while vulnerable, dodge-roll away, rinse and repeat, press X when prompted. They really should have made each one basically invulnerable except for one specific type of attack. It's already there to a degree (one vulnerable to fire, another to blades) but they needed to be stricter with its implementation.
  • I get the impression budget came into play. Given the chance of a sequel I think these are the things that would be expanded.
  • I get the impression that they just played it safe.  It's a super game, unquestionably, but they could've taken that engine and wrapped it up with some proper play dynamics as described here, yet they just went for the lowest common denominator.  Just Cause 3 should be pretty epic if they use the same tech and maybe implement some more er....depth.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Additional:  It's such a great game, that it makes me want to watch Fury Rd again.  Which I thought was shit first time around.  High praise indeed.
  • Nearly cleared all of the Pink Eye area. Just some scarecrows and minefields to clear. I really should do some actual missions now though. Especially as a wasteland mission I did earlier was excellent. It was the second wasteland mission given by Pink Eye:
    Spoiler:
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Still slowly plugging away at it. It's a refreshing break from Destiny. 
  • Eh? What's that you say?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • And that is the threat level reduced to 0 everywhere and all strongholds fully upgraded. Time to actually do some missions now.
  • Spoiler:

That's the one I was talking about a few posts ago.
    Spoiler:

The number of one-off, incidental pieces of dialogue in the game are great.  Chumbucket coming away with a line straight out of Airplane made me smile, regardless of how overused a joke it is.
  • And that is me done! All areas down to 0 threat, all wasteland missions done and all main missions completed. The tone and direction of the final few missions were really excellent and showed a great grasp of the typical Mad Max storyline (dragged into helping others, haunted by his past, going mad!). In fact, I just loved every second of the game.
  • Well done!

My shifts and the rugby have really dented my play time. I had a spare hour just now, so I cleared the remaining minefields, as I haven't really enjoyed them, and it's nice to know I don't have to do any more.

I might have an easy tea tomorrow, to free up some more time for it.
  • Did you experience any bugs, @Aaroncupboard?  In Pink Eye's Stronghold, the Historic Relic is showing 0/1, even though she gave it to me, and some of the project parts are still showing on the map, even though I've collected them.  :/
  • I had the project parts still on the map once and the game froze on me once. Other than that i was quite lucky and didnt have any other bugs. Would the history relic given to you count to the total? There may be one lying around.
  • Fucking hell.

I've scoured that place top to bottom, and searched the net several times. Everyone said the history relic in her stronghold was the one she gave you, and people have been reporting bugs around relics and scrap.

But I just had another rummage, and inside the stronghold, found the relic, despite the fact that it doesn't have a yellow icon.

I'm determined to 100% this.
  • As much as I would love to 100% this, the insane number of scrap locations is too much for me
  • I'll have all the scrap locations fairly soon, I've done the vast majority, maybe twelve or so left to do.

The thing is, I decided to concentrate on clearing the areas first because I thought that I'd risk losing interest in that if I did the story first.  I'm clearly way more spec'd up than the game expected me to be at this point in the story.  "We need parts to improve the car."  Er, we've got all that already.  In fact, I need to downgrade in order to do this bit.

I've had to leave the last area of Pink Eye's territory, because otherwise I'll risk not having enough enemies around to do the remaining Legend challenges.

Had an interesting Wasteland Encounter this afternoon, at the very west of the map, at the location which was the destination of the last Pink Eye mission. The guy I found there wanted me to
    Spoiler:
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I cracked.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • These Death Runs are doing my nut in.
  • Got this today. Will give it a shot.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    These Death Runs are doing my nut in.

They were the only part of the game that I really could not stand. Thankfully they are mostly optional.
  • They're mostly fine, but the ones with the ridiculously tight time limits, which require perfect runs, are almost invariably for the short wheel-based vehicles, which are more likely to spin out. Grrr!
  • Finished the story earlier, and I've cleared all the areas. I've got one trophy to get to bag me the platinum, but it's going to be a bastard; I need to complete all the challenges. Now, having eliminated the threat everywhere, there are no roving patrols.  How the fuck am I going to destroy X cars with y vehicles when there are none around?  I think I'll have to get them in Death Runs. And the Unstoppable challenge (15 enemies in a row in meleé combat without taking damage) will be an utter cunt to get.

The moral is, if you're thinking about completion, start those challenges early doors. You may also need to focus more on the story, and clear the areas after the fact.

Story ending spoilers... and I do mean spoilers, please don't be tempted to look unless you've finished, or have no intention of playing:
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!