The Oval Ball Thread - Six Nations 2016
‹ Previous123456789
  • So it is nearly upon us, the third biggest sporting event in the world and it is in England!  I though that it would be nice to give it its own thread and not let it be bogged down by football talk in the sports thread.  So, who is excited about this?! I have tickets to Eng vs Fiji on Friday and to say I am excited is a massive understatement. Anyone else going to any games? 

Who do you predict will win?!
    Who will be the surprise of the tournament?!   
    What are England's chances?! 
    Should Burgess be on the team?!
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Pissed I'm gonna miss this. Football is now my go-to sport due to ease of access but I'm my heart I'm a rugby boy - played it for 7 years and attended many, many games (quins 4 life, yo).

Honestly, I'm still not convinced about England. We've definitely turned the post-world cup corner and made a decent new team but I've yet to see us convince regularly over 2 halves. We either start strong or finish strong, but rarely both and I think they'll end up costing us.

I wouldn't take Burgess. It's too soon. The boy has talent, aye, but his positional play is not there yet. If we had a really solid first 15 I'd say take him, but as it is I don't think we can afford the luxury.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Go Ireland. As usual we will be overly optimistic and play shit in every match we are favoured to win.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Going to England Wales.
  • Ooh, Griff, nice one - that'll be a cracker.
  • Hope so. I have Wales to win the whole lot at 25/1
  • Also, I know this might make me sound like a heathen but I do like northern hemisphere play.

What I mean is...I know everyone wants to see ball-in-hand fast possession play but, as a former forward (second row, then tight head, then number 8 ) I really love seeing a crushing defense and good rucking, scrums and mauling.

Hopefully, due to the location, that'll be allowed, unlike in some southern hemisphere cups.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Hope so. I have Wales to win the whole lot at 25/1

I think that's a good bet. My head says Wales can't do it...but, they have it in them. Tasty team at times.

• And worthwhile odds.
  • Yar. How much did you stick on it?

Also, assuming there's a fair few English here...fave member of the world cup winning squad? Sorry for appropriating this thread but I haven't had anyone to talk rugby with in nearly a decade...
  • A worthwhile amount.
  • I'm looking forward to watching a lot of rugby, but I don't follow it closely enough to take part in any conversation. I wouldn't know most current players if I found them in my soup.
  • I think Wales will seriously struggle without Halfpenny and Webb.  I have them down to be beaten by eng, aus and fiji! I remain ever hopeful that England will do it even though we have issues.  When it comes together I reckon we are unstoppable.
  • Very excited about this. Going to Cardiff for one of the quarter finals. Match is likely to be New Zealand vs France or Ireland. Should be good.
  • Nice one.

Apparently, a new batch of tickets have gone on sale again. Looking through the list, it seems to be tickets for every game.

I have even been given permission to do a rugby world cup assembly at school! Rather enjoyed putting it togethet earlier today.

In terms of my favourite from the 2003 squad...Wilkinson would have to be my main choice but I find that almost too obvious. I may have to go with Dallagio instead. An absolute beast and a real legend of the game.

Also because I sold him a copy of The Two Towers on dvd whilst on work experience at WH Smith in Richmond. He was a lovely customer.
  • FUCKIN RUGGO LETS DO THIS.

I will of course be rooting for my fave underdogs Italy whenever England aren't playing.

I also have a soft spot for the plucky Japanese team.

Who are your underdog teams?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'm not attempting to be a dick here as I love Rugby, League mainly, but I haven't watched Union for a while as there was a period it seemed onto primarily revolve around the defensive grind and scoring points via kicks with barely a try.

Is the current style of popular play still similar, or has it opened up a bit more? I'll still watch, just something I've been pondering.
  • Way more open than the shitty kicking fiesta of 10 years ago.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Cheers mucka, good to hear.
  • All hail blood doping and whatever else sports science has done in recent years to enable 18 stone dudes to run pretty fucking quickly!
  • The southern hemisphere have always played with a bit more of the open style, New Zealand being the main suspects. This style of play is also beginning to come through in the northern hemisphere teams too. This current England team seems to have a lovely open attacking style when it all clicks. The final day of this years six nations was a wonderful, try crazy day of rugby.

However, that defensive grind and kicking for both points and territory is still evident in many,many games. Saying that, a lot of analysts and reporters are saying that this could be a really exciting world cup with lots of open play and thrilling matches.

Edit: I didnt realise we were comparing to ten years ago....in that case, yeah it is a hell of a lot more open!
  • Roujin wrote:
    All hail blood doping and whatever else sports science has done in recent years to enable 18 stone dudes to run pretty fucking quickly!

The New Zealand forwards are insanely quick. Their hooker scored an absolute beauty in their last match.
  • I think Wales will seriously struggle without Halfpenny and Webb.  I have them down to be beaten by...fiji!

Not a chance!
    In terms of my favourite from the 2003 squad...Wilkinson would have to be my main choice but I find that almost too obvious. I may have to go with Dallagio instead. An absolute beast and a real legend of the game.

Both banging shouts - don't worry about being "obvious" mate, we both know that for a time that Wilko was the complete rugby player.

I mean, fuck the kicking - we all know that - but that boy could also tackle. I mean, Jesus wept he made some slamming stops. I had the (mis)fortune of seeing him play for Newcastle against Quins in the Tetley Bitter Cup Final many years back and he beat us pretty much single handedly - what a beast.

I may be biased but it's gotta be Will Greenwood for me. Love that man.
  • Greenwood is also a legend! And bonus boints for being a Quins legend too (I am also a Quins fan). You could argue that the whole team were all top of their game. Robinson, Johnson, Leonard...they were all the best players in the world, in their position, at that time. One of the best qualities about Wilko was that he was also the perfect sportsmans - sporting and a proper gentleman. And the way he came back from injury time and again was mightily impressive.

In regards to Wales, I reckon (and really hope) they will lose to England, Australia and Fiji, leaving them third in the table and having to qualify for the next world cup! That would be perfect!
  • Just realised the game is in London. Thankfully I realised prior to booking the car to Wales.
  • So here we go everyone!

The fish and chips have been scoffed, the beers have begun and the excitement levels have reached new heights! It has been lovely heading home to where I grew up and seeing how they have improved everything and decorated it so nicely.

Onto the rugby though, very strong side from England and I cannot see Fiji beating us over the full 80.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Anybody else watching this am-dram shit?
  • What the fuck? Were they the big Easter Island heads?
‹ Previous123456789

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!