The Beginners Guide.
  • From the maker of The Stanley Parable, which I quite liked.

Absolute fucking dog pish, makes me never want to play another game as long as I live.

Awful.
  • Gaming will have to bravely soldier on without it's Citizen Kane for a wee while longer.

I waited and waited for some kind of payoff, some comedy, something profound, or just a heart attack to stop me playing it. No such luck.
  • I will return to this thread once I've played it.  For now, goodnight.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Reads like a [7]
  • Eurogamer gave it their highest award. Read like a [10]
    The Forum Herald™
  • Aye, I didn't read it before buying but the 'Essential' award and my mostly positive opinion of The Stanley Parable made it seem worth a punt.

The more I think about The Beginners Guide the more I hate it. Redeemed only by a few nice touches, mostly visual, it was a [3] at best. Such a chore to play, really infuriating.

Absolutely none of the spark that made Parable interesting, it was like staring at somebody's mildly pretty belly button for an hour and a half. Actually, it wasn't, that could be a [10] with the right belly button.

I look forward to seeing what others think. The Eurogamer reviewer loved it for all the reasons I loathed it.
  • There's a review (type thing) on boing boing which makes me really want to play this.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'll get on it later, if it runs.
  • Spoiler:

7 out of 10.
  • I really enjoyed it.

I can see why it would piss others off.  There's no real game to speak of (something made explicit in its description on Steam), just a series of closed boxes to explore.  It's pretty linear, there's no challenge, and the narrative is not subtle in the slightest.  

And yet, I really enjoyed it.  Visually there's some interesting stuff going on, and whilst the immediate broad narrative seems obvious and self indulgent, there is on reflection a bit more to it, and it gets nicely under the skin.
    Spoiler:
    In any case, I certainly didn't feel it was a waste of the fiver it cost me.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • It's very likely
    Spoiler:
  • In that case it's much cleverer than I gave it credit for and I'll revise my [3] to a [3.5].
  • Spoiler:

I related to much of it and enjoyed it even thougb it left me feeling quite down at the end. But you know, #thestruggle
  • Either I missed something or it was a little trite/contrived.

I was waiting for something to come at the end and change the focus of things, so it didn't seem so heavy-handed, but it just followed the initial trajectory which seemed pretty much spelled out by the half way point.

It felt a lot like expression looking for some art. A couple of nice moments to be had, the suggestions of interesting subject matters on mechanics construction, but no deeper discussion on them.

I'm glad I played it, and will likely play it again in the not-too-distant future, but doubt I'll be recommending it to anyone.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!