• The fact that Montréal usually delivers and didn't today shows something needs to change. I don't remember seeing a single on track overtake today.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Yeah. As Hammo put it after the race...
    the cars are awesome to drive when you're on your own, and crap for racing
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Eric wrote:
    The fact that Montréal usually delivers and didn't today shows something needs to change. I don't remember seeing a single on track overtake today.

Changing for next season, simplified front wing, which should simplify the wake off the back of the car and make it easier for following car to get closer.
  • Good explanation here for the changes being brought in for next season to try to improve overtaking:
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/technical/2018/6/tech-tuesday--2019-f1-rules-spice-up-racing.html
  • So two fairly dull races in a row. Although the actual championship is very exciting what with hamilton, then Ricarrdo and then vettel dominating at three different races.

They need to bring back the cliff though. These tyres that don't wear out has led to dull one stop races.

Still I'm excited for the triple header and Alonso leaving f1 for good.
    The Forum Herald™
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Cliffs instead of run off areas?
  • Hopefully the 2019 rules will help overtaking, @ram that's a good link. Horner mentioned maybe making 3 pitstops mandatory to bring strategy back into the races. Also if multiple pitstops were mandatory then maybe we'd see less tyre life saving as well.

We could with another engine manufacturer coming on board properly ala Volkswagen rather than Aston Martin branded Ford powerhouses as is the current plan.

It would be great if McLaren could get their act together and get Alonso racing with the big boys properly before he retires. Triple world champion would have been a fitting end to his career.
  • i think even 2 stops mandatory would encourage drivers to push more. I don't think the problem is that the tyres don't wear out, so much as teams/drivers prefer to drive within the tyre to make it last longer to do just 1 stop, knowing it's quicker overall than pushing harder and doing multiple stops - especially when following/overtaking is now so difficult.

making tyres softer/wear quicker doesn't necessarily fix it as monaco showed - they'll just go even slower to make the tyres last longer.
    unless they can make the tyres where they will burst after 20 laps regardless, but will perform better the faster you go, teams will nearly always choose to go a bit slower to make a tyre last longer.
    and/or bringing back refuelling might add more strategy to it too.

but ultimately they need to fix following/overtaking, otherwise track position is so important teams will just cruise around as slow as possible to minimise pit stops
  • It was good when the performance dropped off sharply when the tyre was 'worn'. At the moment people just aren't encouraged to two stop as there's not enough benefit.

Mandatory stops aren't really the answer as everyone will do the same..  you need mixed stratergy to make it interesting.. otherwise everyone comes in around the time and the status quo is normally maintained..
    The Forum Herald™
  • Great link Ram, I'm glad they listened to me about simplyfying the front and rear wings it's been a bug bear of mine for a while now ;)

Have concerns about DRS though, especially combining it with the simplification of the wings. I hate artificial ways of staging overtaking and I have fears that it could go the other way and turn into an overtaking fest with little required skill other than being within a second of the driver infront.

They need be simplyfying things not over complicating stuff. For the record I'm also against enforced pit stops and mandatory use of two tyre compounds.

Tyres are complicated and I'm not sure whether going back to one compound may improve matters or not. Different compounds do offer nice strategy play outs but in recent years I think they have nullified much of the racing as Bob highlighted.

Anyway I'm waffling, change is good, just hoping that they don't take on too many changes and neutralising the benefits.

• Alonso and his team win Le Mans. Only the Indy 500 left for his so called triple crown. Personally winning the indy car championship and World Endurance Championship would be a much more credible achievement.
  • I like Alonso but it was stitched up for him to win it.
    He was driving for the only factory LMP1 factory team (which is hybrid). Interesting fact found from BBC Sport website- non hybrid LMP1 cars aren’t allowed to lap quicker than hybrid LMP1 cars. If they do, they incur stop/go penalties. They also have other penalties which put them at a disadvantage. Basically, Toyota barring a breakdown were guaranteed to win the LMP1 category. They are the only manufacturer and only hybrid in class. Farce really.
  • It’s nothing like the achievement of graham hill back in the day.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Apparently Red Bull have chosen to go with Honda for 2019.

I will piss myself if they continue to be faster than McLaren.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Thing is they were always likely to get it right eventually...and for all the complaints about the engine, it's not like it was so utterly terrible last year that they were dead last every race...they were basically where they are now.

Without wanting to go anti-Alonso, it would be interesting to know how much (if any) influence he had on the engine change, whether it was him pushing for it or Mclaren just flapping and trying desperately to keep him.
  • I suspect a bit of both.

I still find it hilarious how they've kept very quiet about their alleged best chassis on teh grid this year.
    The Forum Herald™
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Presumably they have been sandbagging so as not to embarrass all of the other teams with their superiority.

I hope that this decision works out for Red Bull although it makes Ricciardo's future all the more interesting...
  • The McLaren mess is getting worse with employees losing any confidence in their management under zak brown and eric bullier. dont forget honda was paying mclaren £70mil a year to run their engines.

in hindsight moving to Renault was the wrong call for them.
  • Bring back Whitmarsh!

Actually someone was saying over on Planetf1 that they don't need the engine money or the money from finishing in the championship as the car side is now so profitable it can invest and shore up the F1 racing division indefinitely.

Sounded like bull to me but they did provide some kind of link.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Funny you should mention whitmarsh bob, he was approached by a group of people from mclaren who want him back in charge
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Funny you should mention whitmarsh bob, he was approached by a group of people from mclaren who want him back in charge

Yeah I saw that. I thought it was hysterical cos in my humble opinion it was him that was the root of the problem.

Bring back Bring Ron!
    The Forum Herald™
  • Red Bull going with Honda is official now.
  • For all the failings under Whitmarsh he always came across as a thoroughly decent bloke. I liked listening to him as much as I enjoy listening to Toto Wolff, honest opinionated and open to answering tough questions that others would sherk.
  • Oh yeah for sure Eric he was a top bloke.. Bit too keen to make excuses for my liking and personally I felt he lacked the ruthless instincts of Ron Dennis under which Mclaren seemed to thrive.
    The Forum Herald™
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Apparently McLaren have offered Ricciardo £15 million a year to drive for them next season.
  • jdanielp wrote:
    Apparently McLaren have offered Ricciardo £15 million a year to drive for them next season.

Lol.
    The Forum Herald™
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Sorry, I should have said 'drive'.
  • Riccardo is holding out until Hamilton signs his contract, which makes sense. He'd be mad to go anywhere near McLaren right now.
  • He’s not going anywhere
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!