The Carmageddon thread of useless Kickstarter projects
‹ Previous12
  • I had no idea this was a thing

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stainlessgames/carmageddon-reincarnation?ref=home_popular

The amount of useless, nostalgic shit that's getting regurgitated (and funded) on Kickstarter is really, really weird to me.

Does anyone pine for a new version of 1998's hit, Carmageddon? 

I certainly dont.
  • Seriously I typed as much in the driving game thread the other day.

Not paying into this scheme though.
  • I'm sure I'll download the demo if they ever get it on to consoles. There does seem to be a lot of this stuff that the publishers aren't risking their cash on for good reason.
  • Some old skool RPG lovin' courtesy of Wasteland 2 and Grim Dawn - I ain't got nothin' bad to say about this Kickstarter lark.   If only the scheme extended to ventures outside of the US,  then we could have a self-funded S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 too.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Sure, there are games worth funding and then there's leisure suit larry...
  • I don't like it. Seems like a way for publishers to minimise risk off the back of nostalgia. Also paying for a game that hasn't even started proper.work on it seems crazy given how much delaying goes on!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Carmageddon 2 was my go to PC game of my early teens. Along with Shadow Warrior.
  • Carmageddon 2 was my go to PC game of my early teens. Along with Shadow Warrior.

I loved Shadow Warrior, also loved Redneck Rampage. I was into the high-brow stuff.
    Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Kingpin too.

Oh my days.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    According to VGChartz (natch) the last Twisted Metal on PS3 sold 480,000 world wide. So, erm. Yeah. Good luck to them.
  • Is that good or bad?
  • Kingpin too.

Oh my days.
    I loved kingpin, we mapped our faces into the game and spent hours smashing each others heads in, hours of fun.

• Wibblywobbly faces.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    google wrote:
    Is that good or bad?

Dunno. It's quarter of a million less than the PSP version sold so I'm guessing it's erring on the side of not good.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    google wrote:
    Is that good or bad?
    Dunno. It's quarter of a million less than the PSP version sold so I'm guessing it's erring on the side of not good.

I mean, without wanting to turn this into a sales thread, I've got assume that's not terrible.

It was cheap. It was priced at $60. It would only sell in America. They must have had these expectations in mind when throwing it out there, right?
  • Hard to tell much without knowing how much it cost to make, but that half million mark seems a bit lower than the point where they don't make another this gen.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    google wrote:
    They must have had these expectations in mind when throwing it out there, right?

Maybe, seems a long way from this cringefest though

• Redneck Rampage: +1

"Ahhhmm on yoo like schtank on sheeet".

memories <3

• beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I've seen a lot of funded kickstarter projects go dead after funding. They'll update for about six months then nothing. Someone is running around after creaming $5,000 for a book they got funding for in March last year and haven't updated anyone since November. Another with $22,000 for a film. Shit is a joke. I really should look into what happens if fuckers don't deliver/stick to their own deadlines.

Also there's that tumblr Tempy found. Your kickstarter is shit, or something.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • The Leisure Suit Larry Remake got funded the other week, Jane Jensen has a project on there, Wasteland 2 is incoming.....DoubleFine have a lot to answer for.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Kickstarter's worth it just for being able to view the shitty ones.
  • I mean really a major function of the Web is as a living document of exactly how fucking rubbish our species is capable of being at all times in all categories.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    There's our new website moto.
  • Brooks wrote:
    I mean really a major function of the Web is as a living document of exactly how fucking rubbish our species is capable of being at all times in all categories.

Haha. I love this. I will use this twice today in real conversation and not tell anyone my friend in the Internet told me it.

• I don't know why anyone would 'invest' in these projects. I mean even the Wasteland 2 one which was clearly very successful in terms of getting it's funding. People think they have a proven track record so how can it fail as long as they get the funding. Well for one they could've severly underestimated the time/money required to complete such a project - as game developers often do. Might as well go to the bookies and bet on a random horse, you'd be more likely to get something back in the end.
  • That's the thing with this stuff, I've not invested in any of them.

The only one I've been vaguely interested in was the e-ink smart phone/watch/thing which is around $125.

$125 isnt an awful lot of money for a watch, let alone one they're promising - but why pay $125 for a watch that I wont receive for 4 months, may not work, and may not even happen? It should be up to them to prove to me that they can build a product at which point I'll then buy one.

Same with all the games. I'm not going to fund your remake of Leisure Suit Larry for fucks sake. The game is already built - just do your new graphics engine and go for it. It shouldnt cost more than $100k.

If you're a fucking games developer and you cant convince some publisher to invest $100k in your game - then it's a fucking shit game.
  • Beano: Your Kickstarter Sucks

The Leisure Suit Larry one is the one that got me. Why? It wasn't that good in the first place. I'm also bemused by Carmageddon.

It has a place of course, but 'I want to remake this game' is a shit use of it to me. How about I want to make a new game?
  • Saw a Kickshit for a boardgame about Ancient Roman political intrigue performed by chickens that sort of appealed.
  • Am pleased to note the pilot of that website appears to resent steampunk at least as much as I.
  • Aye, though I found it somewhat saddening that there were a large amount of both steampunk related guff, and My Little Pony on Kickstarter in the first place.

I'd like someone to put that John Videogames PA one up for real though.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!