Online etiquette
  • So I was playing Ultra sf4 earlier on and I got challenged by some random Steam person called Neger Jager.
    Roughly translated from dutch to english: Nigger Hunter. Awesome.
    He wasn't dutch though as he spoke english with a US accent and was kindof civil even if I did leave my mic off.
    At first I thought: hillarious, I'll give him a beating with dj and ballrog. Which I did. His friend Out of Africa joined in too, complete with monkey avatar.
    I was victorious and only lost 1 match. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Afterwards I looked up their profile and apparently there's a whole group of them. Profiles seemed dubious though with mostly euro/us kids trolling with the usual right wing leanings.
    So is this kind of trolling/racism acceptable? Anyone with similar crazy experiences? What other things annoy you online?

Btw, this is my first encounter with racism on Steam ever and I've been signed up for over 7 years. So yeah, was a bit surprised.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Aye, it's fucking pathetic, but there are a hell of a lot of weapons-grade fucktards in the world. Sadly quite a few of them have internet access.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Report them anyway. Think it's Swedish, not Dutch.
  • Luckily they were shit at streetfighter.
    My Ryu, dj and ballrog  made minced meat out of them.
    It was quite funny seeing them struggle. God, I wish I'd taken a screenshot....
  • hunk wrote:
    So is this kind of trolling/racism acceptable?

Well, obviously not. I would probably report them as they're likely to be breaking some kind of terms of service with names like that but aside from that there's not much you can do in situations like that. If it were someone you knew for example you could be more direct and be like "Oi dickhead".
  • Ok the Out of Africa guy seems clean. His profile and group affiliations don't show up anything.
    Reported the other one.

edit: fuck it. reported them both.
  • I think I allowed Xbox Live to cloud my judgement on stuff like this back in the Halo 2 days, and may or may not have been a contributing factor in me, for the most part, ditching online mp.  I can still hear the ear piercing squeaky-voiced racism if I concentrate hard enough.  Keyboard chat was far better, good old Quake 3 - it was harder to tell if I was getting whupped by lairy 12yr olds.
  • Yeah, I remember those days as well. Playing randoms on xbox live was horrible, especially the foul mouthed little kids screaming in your ear. Steam has been a much nicer experience with a more mature audience. Up untill now that is.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's down to Steam allowing you to change your username as often as you want to whatever you want in an online scene that's gradually becoming more locked down.
  • Calluses from manual labour impede controller control. The system is skewed in our favour.
  • Internet fuckwits, who'd have thought.  Why is this new and exciting?
  • Thread title changed to a more general topic. So the thread doesn't die after 8 posts.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!