Xmas Food and Drink
‹ Previous123
  • Like the other food thread but more expensive. Bit early but I'm already thinking about wine and what animal will go in the oven this year.

Booze and food suggestions over the festive period go here. I'll need to make the limoncello soon so it's ready in time. It's so better than that sugar syrup they sell over here. Christmas pud will need to soak in booze soon. What of snacks? Recipes plz.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Xmas Pudding bake-along thread will be resurrected but not until November.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Turducken.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • My Mum tried to do beef instead of Turkey last year. Trouble is my Dad likes all red meat burnt to shit, everyone else likes it rare so no one was going to be happy.

I'm happy with a Turkey, cooked well it isn't as dry as people make out, especially if you have the dark meat, let the morons have the breast meat.
    I would be happy with a higher level bird like a goose but I don't see anyone else going for that.
    All else fails just bacon up everything.

Unrelated to food but food involved, I'm really eager to go full on for Xmas this year. My Brother gets married next year, so after that they will be alternating xmases between being with us and with her family. Either way it will be the last Xmas where it is the four of us, end of an era really, it has always been a small but loving thing with us. No more waking my older brother up earlier than everyone else, super excited (yes I'm 29 and yes this still happens).

Back to food. Like the rest of Xmas I want it to be 1992 again so absolutely have to have those trays of snacks with the pretzels and fish crackers.
    Hit up lidl for the bags of gingerbread shapes.
    Homemade mince pies.
    Big selection box(es) of ales.
    Trifle and Xmas pudding for dessert.
    A whole tube of jelly tots between breakfast and lunch.
    Bucks Fizz for the AM, wine/beer with lunch, then anything goes.
    A platter of turkey sandwiches around 8pm.
  • Christmas is all about the leftovers. I make a massive ginger glazed ham and a vat of macaroni cheese just before Christmas, always does well in the fridge for cold pickings later. A 'Seasonally Spiced Couscous' thing which is all christmassy spices, raisins and pomegranate seeds and goes with basically anything you can find in your fridge.

My seasonal repertoire tends on the sweet side though - eggnog syllabub, trifles, cranberry and white chocolate cookies, yule log, this thing of beauty, along with the rhubarb compote is just about the best breakfast to get me out of bed when I'm going to work over Christmas.
  • All..all of it. All of the foods.
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Outlaw wrote:
    Christmas is all about the leftovers.

Boxing day bubble and squeak, cold cuts and pickle is by far my favourite meal of the year.
  • I was just thinking about boxing day bubble and squeak :) I never had bubble and squeak until I was an adult, now I'm making up for lost time.
  • n0face wrote:
    Outlaw wrote:
    Christmas is all about the leftovers.

Boxing day bubble and squeak, cold cuts and pickle is by far my favourite meal of the year.

I concur. Leftovers so best, all year round.
  • Every year for the last 20 years my parents do dried apricots stuffed with a shallot, wrapped in bacon and then roasted.

Fucking best bit of Xmas lunch, if you haven't tried them, do it, its fucking easy, you just roast them up with all the other veg.

Seriously, I am in flavour country, etc.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Pigs in blankets mate, just gimme a plate of them, sod the turkey.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    You'll have G in soon saying too many food threads.

But gotta have cauliflower cheese with the roast.

This year I'm eating out for the first time, so no leftovers :-(

Oh, must cook a Christmas Ham - Honey and mustard dressing.
  • Know what's also epic, frying up leftover ham in with the bacon for beast leftover sarnies.

I'm on board the bacon train.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Jesus Christ, not another food thread!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Like clockwork :-)

Hoping the Jesus Christ was intentionally seasonal
  • Roujin wrote:
    Every year for the last 20 years my parents do dried apricots stuffed with a shallot, wrapped in bacon and then roasted.

Fucking best bit of Xmas lunch, if you haven't tried them, do it, its fucking easy, you just roast them up with all the other veg.

Seriously, I am in flavour country, etc.

I am going to do this. Sometimes you just know it'll be good.

• Might have it with goose.
  • Xmas I don't do, but the Xmas megaham I could do all year. It rules.
  • I'm working Christmas morning and lunch... :(
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Christmas night tho. Will you be down? Jase will likely pop round and we can knock a few back.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Yeah I'll be heading down after so after some family duties I probably can
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    xmas sausage fest
  • I might try the Auk thing this year.
    Traditional seasonal grub varies with geography and a large variety of dishes are enjoyed today.

Australia:
    Christmas is in midsummer and lunch is often a barbecue of prawns, steak and chicken with ice cream or sorbet for desert, maybe cooked at the beach.

Czech Republic:
    Traditionally the meal is eaten on Christmas Eve and consists of fish soup, salads, eggs and carp. The number of people at the table must be even or the one without a partner is supposed to be dead by next Christmas. Tricky if you dine alone!

Finland:
    Traditional Christmas dinner will be a casserole of macaroni, rutabaga, carrot and potato, with ham or turkey. A mixed platter of meat and fish is also popular. After the meal it is traditional to have a sauna and then to visit the graves of relatives.

Germany:
    Roast Goose is the favoured Christmas meal, accompanied by potatos, cabbage, carrots, parsnip and pickles. The meal is usually eaten on Christmas Eve. Rural southern Germany feast on game like wild boar and venison.

Greenland:
    The Christmas feast may include Little Auks, (these are seabirds that are a bit like Penguins), wrapped in sealskin and buried for months until decomposed. Yum Yum!

Italy:
    Christmas lunch can run to seven course including antipasto, a small portion of pasta, roast meat, two salads, two sweet puddings followed by cheese, fruit, brandy and chocolates. Phew!

Jamaica:
    The traditional Christmas dinner is rice, gungo peas, chicken, ox tail and curried goat.

Latvia:
    Christmas Dinner is cooked brown peas with bacon sauce, small pies, cabbage and sausage.

Norway:
    The Christmas meal is eaten on Christmas Eve and for coastal regions is traditionally cod, haddock and lutefisk. Inland pork chops, Christmas meatloaf and special sausages are eaten. Farmers leave a bowl of nisse (gruel) in barns on Christmas Eve for the magic Gnome who protects their farms.

Portugal:
    A special Christmas meal is salted dry cod-fish with boiled potatoes eaten at midnight on Christmas Eve.

Russia:
    Christmas food includes cakes, pies and meat dumplings. The mythical Babouschka is enjoying a resurgence following the ban under Communism. She brings gifts to Russian children rather than Santa Claus.

South Africa:
    Christmas is during the hot summer season but the traditional turkey dinner with all the trimmings is eaten at Christmas.

Sweden:
    A Smorgasbord Christmas meal eaten on Christmas Eve includes varieties of shellfish, pork, cooked and raw herring fish, caviar, cheeses and brown beans.

Ukraine:
    Huge meat broths are eaten on Christmas Eve after which children await "Father Frost" to bring presents.

United Kingdom:
    Christmas Pudding and Mince Pies are top grub. The largest Christmas Pudding weighed 7,231 pounds (3.28 tonnes) and was made at Aughton, Lancashire on 11 July 1992. The largest Mince Pie weighed 2,260 pounds (1.02 tonnes) and measured 6.1m X 1.5m. It was baked in Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Leicestershire on 15 October 1932. Sadly the Pie was destroyed in a German air raid when the pilot of a Stuka dive-bomber mistook it for a train. (Actually, that last bit is untrue - but it could have happened...)

USA:
    Christmas lunch is often in small town and rural America goose, turkey, a variety of vegetables, squash, and pumpkin pie are traditionally eaten . The USA has such a range of immigrant cultures that just about every type of food is eaten someplace at Christmas.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Special sausages? Norway, all the way.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Plornt
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Plorntmas

• Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Outlaw wrote:
    A 'Seasonally Spiced Couscous' thing which is all christmassy spices, raisins and pomegranate seeds and goes with basically anything you can find in your fridge.

Definitely trying this. Cheers!

Also on board for Jamaican Christmas dinner.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I will be making my Christmas ham again.
  • Million year old port. Only ever buy it at Christmas, otherwise it will most probably lose its appeal, as all thing do when you have them on a whim.
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!