Emily is Away
‹ Previous123
  • Childintime is online

xXBlinkGal: Hey

Childintime: I miss you. Hey, what's up?

xXBlinkGal: Not much, you?

Childintime: Let me guess, boy trouble and now you come running to me? Nothing much, you OK?

xXBlinkGal: Yeah...I mean...no.

Childintime: I knew it. Oh no. What's up?

xXBlinkGal: ...I just don't think I'll ever find someone who truly loves me for who I am. I always seem to meet the wrong guy.

Childintime: I love you, you idiot. Me! Oh, you will, I'm sure of it. You're amazing, you'll find someone.

xXBlinkGal: Aww, thanks. Anyway, I don't want to talk about that.

Childintime: Yeah, right. Sure...I get that, what do you wanna talk about?

xXBlinkGal: Oh, I dunno. You never talk about yourself. What are YOU doing?

Childintime: Not much, just playing Emily is Away, a game about teenage online relationships in the MSN/AOL era. It's...well, it nails the subject matter.

xXBlinkGal: OMG, that sounds sooooo good. You always know the best games, Mike.

Childintime: Don't compliment me, you're killing me and you know it. Thanks. Well, if you're interested you can download it for free from here for free.

xXBlinkGal: Cool! I will. Anyway, gotta go, sorry. Talk soon, I promise.

xXBlinkGal is away.
  • Bravo, OP.

The big thing stopping me from playing this is that I haven't finished Her Story, yet. Sounds good, though.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I thought knoxee had absconded with the bear keys or something.

Cint, mayte.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • The only shit thing about my Chromebook is that it doesn't support stuff like this, and I currently don't have access to a PC to game on. Bah.
  • If you like this id check out unfriended the film. I like how that film captures thinking about what to say vs whats actually posted. That agonising "xxx is typing" and then it stops before starting again *relief*
  • Haha love the op. Must check out game
  • AJ wrote:
    The big thing stopping me from playing this is that I haven't finished Her Story, yet.
    LazyGunn wrote:
    Must check out game

It's short so, assuming you're done with whatever, you can both get it downloaded and polished off in half an hour. It's a single concept, very strongly executed with absolutely no fat.
    If you like this id check out unfriended the film. I like how that film captures thinking about what to say vs whats actually posted. That agonising "xxx is typing" and then it stops before starting again *relief*

Yeah, I want to see that. There's a few games that have done "modern" communication (as in, from the internet age onwards) well. Catherine, Digital: A love Story and, to a lesser extent, even something like Alpha Protocol. Out of all those, Catherine does it the best, but this is also a strong showing and, like Catherine, it evokes a very strong feeling to a very specific type of situation and method of interaction.

It's also a case, IMO, of a game which is better because of how the player projects onto it. It's a very common type of online relationship, I suppose, which means a load of players are gonna be getting pangs of something not because of the game, but because of how they've chosen to invest in it.
  • I'd also advocate digital: a love story. It's really fucking good.

Yeah I agree about Catherine. Each person has a natural answer and has the option to react to situation X in a natural way. I wonder though whether essentially judging decisions of the player (by Way of good v bad endings - or good v evil endings) undermines the choices somewhat. Like if it's natural to shy away from a relatively dominating person then that's not bad inherently, but I think is the "evil" choice in Catherine.
    Spoiler:
  • So this was a fun half hour.

But
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    Spoiler:

Did the same, think you nailed it.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano wrote:
    Funkstain wrote:
    Spoiler:

Did the same, think you nailed it.

Yeah, pretty much.
    Spoiler:
  • I'd also advocate digital: a love story. It's really fucking good.

Yeah I agree about Catherine. Each person has a natural answer and has the option to react to situation X in a natural way. I wonder though whether essentially judging decisions of the player (by Way of good v bad endings - or good v evil endings) undermines the choices somewhat. Like if it's natural to shy away from a relatively dominating person then that's not bad inherently, but I think is the "evil" choice in Catherine.
    Spoiler:

Year, Catherine deffo has issues aplenty, some of which really bother me. I dislike how binary it was in the way the 2 basic choices were presented, and also what it said about how the creators approached the characters.
    Spoiler:

But, I think the reason those things bothered me so much is because how good the rest of it was and how few games do what it does. And one great thing, as mentioned already, is the texting.

The actual texting mechanic and how it allowed player choice without showing them as an ABC options was a masterstroke. It actually turned the process of sending a text into part of the gameplay and, to this day, I've yet to see a better implementation in a game.
  • On the moment of discomfort, it happened
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Ah.
    Spoiler:
  • Ooh can't remember. Chez Funk I think.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Ooh can't remember. Chez Funk I think.

You sly dog.

:P
    Spoiler:
  • Web relationshipping should carry the death penalty.
  • I played this last night before bed, and lost a bit of sleep over it honestly.  It cut a bit close to the bone!  Ended up feeling a bit upset and nostalgic (not the good kind either.  not sure if nostalgic is the right word - when I think of Astro Boy or Voltron a feel good, remembering a show that used to make me happy as a kiddie.  This stuff was from either my late teens or early adulthood and it makes me feel old, like that stuff shouldn't be bringing back pangs of rememberance yet.  The Demon Days avatar got me.  I still remember going into a shop and buying the special edition!)

glad to have played it but won't go back again.
    Spoiler:
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Yeah, I'd agree with pretty much all of that. I think you hit the "not nostalgia" thing in the head - it's a complicated feeling and I can't say that playing this game brought me any happiness.

I think "glad to have played it but won't go back again" defines it perfectly.
  • Played it a few times being an awful jerk. It'd systems become fairly transparent then.

Like they say about magic

First time it's magic
    Second time it's a lesson.
  • The typing mechanic is all sorts of good though.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    This was all sorts of good.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Comparisons to Catherine's themes have me piqued. And the fact I still remember AOL pm'ing. When time is free I'll indulge.
  • I hope it works out between you and Emiliy, Cinty <3
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Comparisons to Catherine's themes have me piqued. And the fact I still remember AOL pm'ing. When time is free I'll indulge.

You really don't need much time at all.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Due to the time of it (2002-2006) and the nature of the conversations this game has done a right number on me, as a lot of it is note for note my life.

One thing that got me was the
    Spoiler:
  • I just started this like 10 minutes ago, I think I'm going to be in the reg camp, THEM DELETED WORDS.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    What is unsaid :(
  • Damn yo. Whoever wrote this I feel like I want to just give them a hug and tell them everything will be okay. FUCK YOU 2006!!!!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Have any actual women played this or is there a stink of MRA over it that has kept them sensibly offa it?
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!