Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    It has become apparent from some of the other threads that there are few badgers that shoot across various disciplines and with advice from these people I myself have received some good tips so for those of us that already shoot and for those that are interested I thought it warranted it's own thread.

I currently have a 2015 Browning B525 Sporter though I am looking at a Beretta A400 and I would like to get something light (possibly a 20g though I think sticking with a 12g would be a better option) for my daughter to use.
  • One thing that really owns about Britain: Gun control.

One day I want to be able to go hunt Boston Dynamics hulks in a forest.
  • I like to go duck hunting with this:
    dora_schwerer-gustav_01br.jpg

Advantages: hard to miss ducks
    Disadvantages: Duck corpses often land up to forty miles away from your initial shot, shells can destroy entire villages if poorly aimed

But if you want a foolproof duck hunting tool I'd thoroughly recommend it, some people say employing a giant WWII railway gun merely to shoot ducks and pheasants is overkill, I say "fuck you and fuck those ducks".

Before:

duck-picture%5B1%5D.jpg

After:

_75674364_75674359.jpg
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    You might want to work on your lead a bit there LarryDavid...

Hole_zpsjsvhdfkp.jpg

...don't shoot where the duck is, shoot where it is going to be.
  • I was told my duck was going to be in Palestine, hence landing a couple of shells into a densely populated area there just to be on the safe side.
  • The duck wasn't kosher?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    I was told my duck was going to be in Palestine...

That's the guiltiest I've felt laughing for a long time.

Also, since this is a topic about guns and stuff - grew up on a farm, so yes I've been around guns. I'd go out with my brother, I'd have a rifle, he'd have a shotgun, and we'd go out lamping.

Never done clay pigeon, nor saw the appeal. It was targets while prone (like at cadets, where I got my marksmanship award) or rabbits while stood or rested against something like the truck door. Also, never enjoyed the shotgun, so was rifle or nowt. Haven't done it in years, though, obviously.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    They never are, the bastards.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Fuck, cinty!
  • Moto70 wrote:

...don't shoot where the duck is, shoot where it is going to be.

Invade the country they're migrating to, blow it up when the duck bastards arrive.

Edit: aaghh to late
  • LD: kicking ass and taking names :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I've got a shotgun safe in my loft. It contains a back-up hard drive and jewellery.
  • Shot guns for the first time last year at a range in Poland. I was apprehensive during the briefing but once you get to the firing it was a buzz. Terrifying the potential damage you can wield with them though.

I shot:
    Glock 17

latest?cb=20140408181856

Light, smooth and accurate. I had two mags to fire and was shown how to reload so I could do it myself.

Taurus 689

400px-TaurusModel689.jpg

I think we were firing the same ammunition that was loaded into the Glocks so probably weren't unlocking the full power potential of these and they weren't as much of a challenge to fire as they might look because of this. Don't remember weight being an issue but I found the accuracy to be less so than the Glock.

Mossberg 590

PEO_Mossberg_590A1.jpg

The gun I most enjoyed firing on the day. Loaded with slugs, this was accurate even in my inexperienced hands, we were of course instructed on how to correctly hold and stand. This left holes as big as golf balls in the targets, frightening but fun.

AK-47

ak_pic1.jpg

The final gun we shot. Two mags, single shot only and prone. I failed hard at getting the accuracy down, despite instruction. Iron sights just didn't seem to lead towards a decent shot. The Royal Marine that was on the stag party I was on had less trouble, amazing grouping from a difficult weapon, fair play to him. Terrifying sound and a violent gun to behold even with single shots.

I wouldn't say I was pro guns but there was a definite rush in firing them, and it puts a different perspective on them when you are doing the handling. I wouldn't hesitate in going again if I'm ever in Poland, 30-40 quid for a unique experience.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Ooh, got my hands on an M4 (with grip and ACOG) for picture posing purposes too, would have loved to let that loose but it wasn't in our package we'd paid for.

M4A1_ACOG.jpg
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • The Glock shoots 9mm. The Taurus .357 magnum. A much larger round and should be packing way more of a punch.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Rifles and pistols are so much fun to fire.  I've fired weapons from 155mm down to .22 and still get a buzz out of shooting (maybe not the .22). 

I think my favourite is the FN minimi.
  • I have:
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 (.22)
    M&P15-22_M6_MOE_Flat_Dark_Earth.jpg

Sig Sauer 522 (.22)
    522-Classic-detail-hero.jpg

A Marlin 1884 Cowboy (.38/.357)
    zoom_1894_45colt.jpg

A Beretta 686E - 30" barrels
    7a4343b4cb1dfb3ae170eec011fc6dbb_1.jpg
  • pantyfire wrote:
    The Glock shoots 9mm. The Taurus .357 magnum. A much larger round and should be packing way more of a punch.

I'm wrong on it firing the 9mm but these definitely weren't large rounds. I might be wrong on the model of Taurus, might even have been the Judge firing 45s.
  • What's the deal with keeping those weapons, Panty? Do they need to be kept at a club?
  • Nope. At home. 
    Standard, locked, secure cabinet, British Safety Standard etc...
    To own the rifles YOU MUST have a valid reason i.e. Be a member of a club that you attend regularly. 
    The shotgun is a slightly different matter. Toffs like shotguns so it's much easier to get a license for those. .
  • ...and not batshit mental, one would hope.
  • Webbins wrote:
    The Glock shoots 9mm. The Taurus .357 magnum. A much larger round and should be packing way more of a punch.
    I'm wrong on it firing the 9mm but these definitely weren't large rounds. I might be wrong on the model of Taurus, might even have been the Judge firing 45s.
    Where they long rounds?
    A .38 and a .357 are actually the exact same diameter, the .357 is just a longer case so it has more powder in it. 
    I think the diameter of the 9mm is very similar. But the case is much shorter.
  • No not long. They looked similar to the 9mm to my inexperienced eyes, but they didn't give much of a kick at all. I was almost disappointed as I thought it was going to be Dirty Harry time, but I guess even in Poland they're not going to just chuck you a hand cannon and have at it.
  • Aye, for a Firearms Cert they check your medical records for anything alarming and you get a visit/interview from the police. I'm with the Met and they tend to use civilian staff for the interviews. I've had two over 5 years and both have been very nice people, you end up basically having a general chat, which i think is more to see if you are a bit odd. 
    Cue the nutjob jokes...

It's a long winded process, it takes about 6 months in total but the cert application took me about 10 days!
    The rest was joining the club, becoming a member etc...
  • Webbins wrote:
    No not long. They looked similar to the 9mm to my inexperienced eyes, but they didn't give much of a kick at all. I was almost disappointed as I thought it was going to be Dirty Harry time, but I guess even in Poland they're not going to just chuck you a hand cannon and have at it.
    They might have thrown .38s in it which would, i think, give about the same kick as a 9mm. 
    The Taurus was probably a little heavier, which would negate some recoil and conversely the Glock will have it's slide flying back that would add to the kick off it a little. 
    So, yeah, they could end up feeling similar.
  • Yeah they were very sure to tell us how to fire the Glock, so we didn't lose lumps from our hand.
  • I've done that.
  • You can still own pistols by the way in the UK. 

They have to be  a minimum of 26" (IIRC) fixed in length. 
    So they either have to have a extra long comedy barrel or a extra long arm brace, or a combination of the two. 
    There's nothing stopping you from cutting either down to size when you've bought one... Except a lengthy instant jail term.
    Taurus-Long-Barrel-Revolver.jpg
  • But with your newly purchased gun they'll never take you alive anyway.
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!