Have you browsed The Dark Web?
‹ Previous123
  • Have any of you had a look?  I'm intrigued by it but also shit scared of even downloading TOR, let alone browsing the thing.

For those who might not know:

The Dark Web, also confusingly referred to as the Deep Web and conflated with Deep Web search is the World Wide Web content that exists on darknets, overlay networks which use the public Internet but which require specific software, configurations or authorization to access.

I just read the story about the guy who owned/ran The Silk Road website in the Dark Web.  Was pretty fascinating stuff, especially as I always thought that it was a myth.

This guy's videos are pretty good - he uploads an 'Exploring the Dark Web' video once a week.  Some pretty horrible shit down there but also some very amusing stuff.

• No, but I might watch these videos if they're funny.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yes, its shit.
  • Is this thread safe to post in? I'm sure it's already flagged up on MI6 and the CIA if not the FBI already!
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Way I see it is there's enough weapons grade fucktards on the regular internet without having to worry about the drooling simpletons on the dark web.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yes, its shit.

Go on, what did you find down there?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    A bunch of shit I wouldn't click on because I'm not mental, some obviously fake assassination bollocks and a ton of shit that you can just download on the regular web. Oh and a load of image boards/communities that took fucking forever to load.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Had a look once via the Tor/Onion browser. It isn't a great experience. Sniffed about the Silk Road etc. and saw ads for assassins etc. Very odd place.

There are wiki pages with links to pages with various unsavoury subjects that shall remain nameless which I didn't follow. I'm of the opinion that some things can't be unseen.

Downloaded an odd little book about surviving in the wild.

Didn't go back.

It runs slow because the onion routing protocol and how it works. But even now the cops are monitoring exit nodes so I'm not sure it's as anonymous as it was now.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah if you're a full on nonce I'm guessing its a great place.
  • Yeah, I found a site that had ringtones for 90s cartoon themes. It looked like it had been made back then too.

I found a political discussion one populated by American loons that thought the UN was coming over the horizon in their black helicopters any day.

I decided to stop my investigations at that stage.
  • A bunch of shit I wouldn't click on because I'm not mental, some obviously fake assassination bollocks and a ton of shit that you can just download on the regular web. Oh and a load of image boards/communities that took fucking forever to load.

I take it you used TOR?

There's some bizarre communites down there.  Some really fucked up shit.  I find it all very interesting though.  Apparently The Dark Web makes up 96% of the internet, with the 'safe' (indexed) surface web which most of us use just 4%.

I might have a look down there one day.  Maybe.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    70-80% of the web is dark according to a police presentation I was at recently. But I guess noone really knows.

Suffice to say google only sees the tip of the iceberg - if that.
  • Yeah, I found a site that had ringtones for 90s cartoon themes. It looked like it had been made back then too.

I've noticed from the videos that many of the websites look extremely dated.
  • How can the figures for percentage of dark vs normal web be so high? I call bollocks on that.

There is no way there is 5-10 times more information down there than on the surface. That's like saying there is a darkweb version of youtube with 5x the amount of video data on it.

Scaremongering bollocks.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    There is no way there is 5-10 times more information down there than on the surface. 

It isn't policed or indexed like the surface web is.  I could see why it's so vast.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Please, don't succumb to the odious fools on the tellybwho haven't a clue what they're talking about. Of course geek culture is cool and relevant thanks to big bang theory, but not enough to actually either get people who know or even do their own research

Dark Web - dead dormant sites, no longer active

Deep Web - What you're talking about

Even the tart from talktalk when explaining their hack referred to it as a sequential attack. Wtf, I'm pretty sure she means SQL injection, easily avoidable, unless she means simply brute force, which would show as ddos first and also is avoidable, and that's their head of security I was led to believe
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Dark Web is so last week.

I browse the DVRK WVB
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Too many people think Google's index is the web. Not a healthy situation.
  • g.man wrote:
    Way I see it is there's enough weapons grade fucktards on the regular internet without having to worry about the drooling simpletons on the dark web.

This.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I cant. Take the sum total time/effort/quantity/overall data size, whatever means of measurement you like, of the surface web. Incalculable man hours of time go into it every day.

But somehow there is 5-10x more stuff happening on a part of the web that most people don't know how to get on?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I'm only posting my findings btw, I don't know what's fact and what's not.  But most reports seem to be the same:

DeepWebDiagram.png

deep-web.jpg

Scaremongering?  Maybe.  But why?  There must be a reason many people say it's vast compared to the surface web.
  • Ah, so you've got pictures to illustrate it? You should have said. Must be true.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    If you really want to have a rummage there was one a heavily customised Firefox browser available for download which includes all the tor periphery. Search tor browser should find it
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Wait does that mean the Deep includes all the perfectly normal sites that are just crap at SEO?
  • 96% Claim: via Slate - article by David Auerbach

Slate wrote:
    You might be thinking, “Whoa, the Deep Web is 96 percent of all Internet content? I must be missing out!” But I wish this number would go away. That figure refers to an entirely different definition of the Deep Web, one created back in 2001 that simply referred to anything that couldn’t be reached by crawling links. By that I mean dynamically generated Internet content without stable URLs or that required set cookies in order to view—anything that you couldn’t reliably get to just by clicking a permanent link. Online library catalogs, for one example, subscription sites like JSTOR, or sites that produce content via typed search queries, or this Hangman game. Search engines have gotten better at crawling this content, though much of the work is an exercise in avoiding crawling too much of it. That dumb Hangman game can produce more unique URLs than the entirety of Slate’s website.

Paper that explains it is here.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Ah, so you've got pictures to illustrate it? You should have said. Must be true.

No need for the sarcasm.  It was a quick and easy way to prove what I've read.

There are many videos and articles where every person has said the same thing and that is the Deep/Dark Web is vast compared to the 'surface' web.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah a shit ton of the deep web is just company indexes, data and a ton of shit you won't be able to access without the hax0r skills or log ins. Also quite a bit of Government agency shit gets passed through there, its what it was originally designed for iirc.
  • Tempy wrote:
    96% Claim: via Slate - article by David Auerbach
    Slate wrote:
    You might be thinking, “Whoa, the Deep Web is 96 percent of all Internet content? I must be missing out!” But I wish this number would go away. That figure refers to an entirely different definition of the Deep Web, one created back in 2001 that simply referred to anything that couldn’t be reached by crawling links. By that I mean dynamically generated Internet content without stable URLs or that required set cookies in order to view—anything that you couldn’t reliably get to just by clicking a permanent link. Online library catalogs, for one example, subscription sites like JSTOR, or sites that produce content via typed search queries, or this Hangman game. Search engines have gotten better at crawling this content, though much of the work is an exercise in avoiding crawling too much of it. That dumb Hangman game can produce more unique URLs than the entirety of Slate’s website.
    Paper that explains it is here.

That's interesting, cheers.
  • Wait I thought this was the Dark Web.
  • No this is the Dork Web
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!