The Joy of CEX (and other brick 'n' mortar establishments)
  • Not too much of a change for management then.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Some of the joys of life as a teenager on a Saturday have completely disappeared. Suppose it progress of sorts. Spending a saturday going to a videogame shop and looking at the game running on the crt and wondering "wow what's that?" Or flicking through CVG or superplay magazines in WHS drooling over screenshots of some amazing game you'd have to wait months to play (which felt like a lifetime). There was something exciting about your or your mate having saved enough money for a new game. By 10am you were in town, back by 12pm. The rest of the afternoon spent in awe and wonder playing the game you waited months and months for. Thats all gone.

*sobs....
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • Yeah, that’s what I thought with game.  They appear pretty worthless as a company so I don’t get the shouts of asset stripping tbh

Have you ever had parents or elderly neighbours hand you a pile of junk, suggesting that it might be worth something if you can be bothered to sort it all out and sell it? It rarely seems worth the effort. But if you already ran a business selling stuff on eBay, Gumtree, and Amazon Marketplace, then you’ve already got the means in place to process it all.

They might be shit as a company, but there’s a bunch of stuff to sell and recoup the costs.
  • Aye. I just got the annual ‘thank you for your gift aid’ statement from my local Oxfam, which essentially tells me that they asset stripped my bookshelves and made a couple of hundred quid profit.
  • Inventory isn't the same thing as assets. Like legally, the tax man sees them differently.
    Assets are the core parts needed to make the company tick over. For Game it is their shelves, their tills, their office PCs. 

Inventory takes time and effort to sell off and is a gamble, that's not how an asset stripper operates. Inventory is also complex, 1000s of lines, some sale or return, others bought at a price unachievable currently. It is a headache that an asset stripper would likely just auction off cheap, bulk to someone willing to do the work.
    The exceptions would be high value, high mark up inventory, car dealerships, jewelers etc.

Assets are core to the company running, an airline's planes, a game developer's current IP, patents, real estate, a mechanic's tools etc. They have value but the value can't be accessed by anyone willing to keep the company going.

Game have no worthwhile assets.
  • Would you like disc protection with your order of no worthwhile assets?
  • Can I interest you in pre-ordering this used office chair?
  • Look, I can sell you a prepaid download card for a shelving unit. No, you can’t just take that one. It still has games on it. Well, a game. Okay, an empty box for a game. Yes, the download code will still work after we close down.
  • Andy wrote:
    Yeah, that’s what I thought with game.  They appear pretty worthless as a company so I don’t get the shouts of asset stripping tbh

Have you ever had parents or elderly neighbours hand you a pile of junk, suggesting that it might be worth something if you can be bothered to sort it all out and sell it? It rarely seems worth the effort. But if you already ran a business selling stuff on eBay, Gumtree, and Amazon Marketplace, then you’ve already got the means in place to process it all.

They might be shit as a company, but there’s a bunch of stuff to sell and recoup the costs.

Yeah but that tat, well, the just aren’t assets are they? They’re stock/inventory. Big difference.
  • May as well go in here and totally nicked from this weeks PB post out but I quite liked it.

I asked my local HMV store where they kept their Terminator DVDs.
    "Aisle B, back"
  • Guys, has no-one stopped to consider that just maybe Mike Ashley is a hardcore gamer that is dead-set of saving Game for the good of the gaming community? Yeah, me neither...

Sad to see G-Force closing. Not a place I've frequented recently but in my height of PC gaming I was in there all the time using their swap service.
  • Yeah but that tat, well, the just aren’t assets are they? They’re stock/inventory. Big difference.

I was just drawing a parallel, I didn’t intend to suggest that Ashley is somehow any better placed to sell the stock than anyone else, or that that is what he’s doing. What I wrote was not to be taken literally.
  • Yeah but I was asking about asset stripping of which you replied to with mention of boxes of tat. The boxes of tat in this case are games, consoles and plushy toys. They aren’t assets though - they’re stock and so I go back to Game having no assets to strip - as a counter to Yoss suggesting this may be his reason for bidding.

I honestly think it’s just an ego thing with him now. “Look at all the brands I own” he’ll bellow from his gold plated helicopter. There doesn’t seem to be another sane reason with long term viability.
  • RMCBjav.png
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • The House Of Fraser thing that was mentioned earlier makes sense. Stick a Game and Sports Direct in those shops and you're filling a lot of space. He's probably more interested in the gaming tat than the games as well. Rather than buy in the T-shirts, he'll be making them in the same places that make the own brand sportswear.
  • The boxes of tat in this case are games, consoles and plushy toys.

That’s not what I meant, not that it matters.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Mike Ashley is the poundland version of Donald Trump. He will be PM in 10 years!
  • Christ, what a thought.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Mike Ashley is the poundland version of Donald Trump. He will be PM in 10 years!

At this point not much worse than what's being offered by the tories.

SFV - reddave360
  • Crunch day for Arcadia group.
    1000s could lose their jobs today if negotiations with creditors go wrong.

Where is Phil Green, SIR Phil Green.
    On his yacht in Italy. He hasn't been in the head office in London in over a year.

This man fucking sickens me. I hope the yanks lock him up.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Remember when we had captains of industry instead of slimeballs like Green?

When we built things? We had a company called GEC - one of the biggest electronics company in the world in the 80s. And it was an enormous engineering company too - chaired by Lord Weinstock.

When he retired it was subsequently mismanaged, reserves were blown with bad mergers and was then broken up and asset stripped by profiteering jackals.

Instead of doing our own thing and being a world leader in technology we are now scraping around for expertise getting the Chinese to build a wireless network for us and the French to build power plants for us.

Our love affair with the financial world has all been about short time gain on a balance sheet as we dismantled our industrial base.

This isn't the Brexit talking here.

It has been a national disgrace, overseen largely by a Conservative government with its unfettered market dogma.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    It has been a national disgrace, overseen largely by a Conservative government with its unfettered market dogma.

Which people have consistently voted for, which is really annoying. Including New Labour, who peddled pretty much the same.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    As a matter of national security (which the cons claim to be the only ones who can be trusted) it's really important to have the independent ability to manufacture the arms you would need in a war, so you need a manufacturing industry, you need a steel industry, you need a means of producing energy that cannot be interfered with by a foreign power, and you need to be able to produce the electronic hardware and software components required to operate those weapon systems.

Well done to the Conservatives on ensuring the national security.
  • But we only manufacture arms for the Saudis. I am confused.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Well - looks like Mike Ashley has GAME in the bag.

Not sure of that's a good or bad thing. Depends on his feelings toward gaming I suppose.

I'd just love to be able go to into a high street game shop and feel something - just doesn't do that any more.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I'd just love to be able go to into a high street game shop and feel something

You mean, aside from a vague sense of misery?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. Yep.

GAME is a pretty soulless place now - esp. since they dropped pre-owned games. At least you had a chance of finding something interesting. I would have thought that the margins on those were better than the latest releases? Could be wrong on that I guess - maybe the overheads of testing and grading was something they wanted to avoid.

The Belfast GAME is basically a pre-owned phone and gaming tat clearing house with the last dozen or so Bone and PS4 games on display. 

As much as I dislike CEX I can go in there and not know what I'm going to see - picked up 3 immaculate Saturn games there yesterday. Two were dirt cheap.

Doesn't have to be retro - are pre-owned 360 games considered that now? Even a few demo pods of the 3 consoles - something to differentiate from online.

I think it's important for gaming to have a high street presence. And I think it should be toned down inside - the atmosphere in UK chains is bloody awful and has been for a while. It needs to grow up a bit and take its rightful place reflecting gaming's influence on culture.

Just saying.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    They dropped pre-owned games?!?! What... do they actually sell now then???
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!