The Joy of CEX (and other brick 'n' mortar establishments)
  • Nope and nope, although they're taking steps to have everything match, and a "click and collect" thing is launching later in the year.
  • That's be handy, they need to move in that direction otherwise I think they may be on borrowed time unfortunately.
  • Erm has anyone else noticed that shopto seems to have bumped it's prices up by that 2-4 pound that made them cheaper than GAME/HMV?
    i.e. The Witcher 2 still £39, Dragons Dogma £39, Prototype 2 £40 all on 360!
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I was in CEX today and got Second Sight on PS2 for 80p. Bargain.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Erm has anyone else noticed that shopto seems to have bumped it's prices up by that 2-4 pound that made them cheaper than GAME/HMV?
    i.e. The Witcher 2 still £39, Dragons Dogma £39, Prototype 2 £40 all on 360!
    Not been on there since getting Skyrim about a month ago.
    Kinda sucks but as long as they are still in line with other retailers i will use them, rewards are good and delivery is superb.

• Paid a visit to CEX for the first time today. Got Metal Slug Anthology and Bangai-O Spirits for a very reasonable price.

Feel like I need to take a shower though.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    My local has one in-store you can use for a little extra.
  • Heh, I'm betting I was the only one in the Wolves store that had ever had a shower.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    One of the owners of CEX was on that Secret Millionaire thing the other week.

Kept talking about the need to give back to society and help everyone, which was ironic for someone who has built their fortune fencing stuff smack heads have mugged/burgled.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Witcher is £27.99 at Gavland.
  • My last remaining new game retailer (HMV) has just closed in my local shopping area which is a decent size. So I am now fucked... No day one trade-in purchases, no bargain pickups. I will have to rely on CEX getting stuff in secondhand which will be unlikely now there are no new retailers in the area and online. Looks like I will have to embrace the future.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • CEX do stock new stuff on launch day I think.
    They normally keep it behind the counter though.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Depends on the game. They were asking for £50 for MW3 as well!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Just raided Blockbuster. Bioshock 2, Red Faction: Guerilla, Need For Speed: Hot Piss Suit and Rage, all four for twenty English pounds. 

I've got to stump up for the online pass for Hot Pursuit, but it's still a bargain. I'll probably spend at least half an hour on each of them before returning to a current release.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Top Tip. Play Red Faction on Easy and just have fun smashing shit up.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Red Faction is excellent, and Armegeddon is well worth a punt if you can find it cheap.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Top Tip. Play Red Faction on Easy and just have fun smashing shit up.
    Yeah, jetpacks and sledgehammers all the way.
  • Where is generally the best for a bulk trade in, or are they all much of a muchness? I'm thinking of plunging for a 360 slim and have my Elite, ten 360 games, five PS2, five Oldbox and eight DS games as collateral. Game would give £70 for the Elite, but as their online price checker is borked, I can't price up the rest.

Also, just found out Bradford now has a Grainger Games, might take back this hooky Euro copy of Brink they sent me.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    From a market stall in Newcastle to global domination in a few short years.
  • Bradford = global domination?

I'm pleased for GG, but whatever happened to Charlie's?
  • George-Galloway-in-Bradfo-008.jpg
    George Galloway emerges from Grainger Games after trading in his Game Gear.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Does anyone enjoy trading games/consoles in? Any kind of excitement? I loathe it, especially a console. I traded a ps3 for cash in CEX a few years back. Walking it through town risking a mugging and then having to wait an hour while they checked it all. 

tldr; pointless post.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • ^ BOUT THAT ADVICE EH? I loathe it, but if I'm going to do it, I want to be in the best place, tbh it'd be the game shop doing the mugging.
  • three1ne wrote:
    Does anyone enjoy trading games/consoles in? Any kind of excitement? I loathe it, especially a console. I traded a ps3 for cash in CEX a few years back. Walking it through town risking a mugging and then having to wait an hour while they checked it all.  tldr; pointless post.

How thorough are they when they check them? I'm tempted to pick up a Vita from there but I'm worried that it won't work properly or that it's been stolen.
  • HMV to introduce click and collect

Not sure how big a deal this will be for games, there's not much that's on-line but not in-store, and how they price this will be interesting. Good to see someone trying this though.
  • It's been going on in my branch at least for a month or so now, and works pretty well, granted there's good communication between the stockroom and shop floor. Was really popular when the Nexus 7 launched. The main problem right now is that it will only tell you you can reserve it for collection if that certain store has more than 4 copies in stock, but I've read that will be amended to include items that have a lesser amount on hand sooner rather than later.

Speaking with one of the higher-ups this week I've heard that you'll soon be able to pre-order games online with a view to picking them up in store, which is a godsend for me as it would effectively boost a number in a meaningless spreadsheet that would make me and my store look good. Don't really know how useful it would be in the long run though.

As for pricing, online prices are now pretty much universally in line with in-store ones.
  • Webbins wrote:
    Where is generally the best for a bulk trade in, or are they all much of a muchness? I'm thinking of plunging for a 360 slim and have my Elite, ten 360 games, five PS2, five Oldbox and eight DS games as collateral. Game would give £70 for the Elite, but as their online price checker is borked, I can't price up the rest. Also, just found out Bradford now has a Grainger Games, might take back this hooky Euro copy of Brink they sent me.

What are you after, trade credit? Game beat any trade in prices by a pound. Just not on cash.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    As for pricing, online prices are now pretty much universally in line with in-store ones.

Until that's guaranteed I won't be risking it again.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yep. But make sure you have them loaded up or printed out. I took phone with pages loaded up from CeX and got pretty good trade ins.

EDIT - At Dante and Webbins.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!