SPOILERS Star Wars Last Jedi SPOILERS
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Woken up feeling positive about the movie but the death star x1000000 thing still feels totally half baked given what it is potentially capable of.

Also... Was that coruscant destroyed by it?

It was indeed. They took out the senate, or whatever it's called now.

It wasn't Coruscant dude, it was the Hosnian system, Coruscant is in the Coruscant system.

They wouldn't destroy Coruscant as its the centre of the Galaxy.
  • Stopharage wrote:
    I'm going to cut any film a shitload of slack if it can make me feel like a kid again. I tend to be pretty cynical and a bit meh when it comes to AAA films but I thought it was magical.
    Yeah if I had to describe it in one word it would be magical.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • g.man wrote:
    djchump wrote:
    I assumed R2 was 'concentrating' on piecing together the galaxy map, and 'awoke' when he'd completed as much as possible.
    Oh actually, someone at work said that in the flashback thing that Rey gets when touching the lightsaber, you see Luke with the robot hand touching up R2 head thing, so maybe he was putting a 'fluence or magic spell on him.
    Somebody further up the page said it too. :p
    Aha, yeah woops - I've got 2 SW conversations going on today so I'm getting all mixed up! ;-)
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I saw it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I reckon that they have put a bit too much into one film and it was just a little bit too frenetic at times for my liking - I felt a little numb watching it as I was trying to keep up with everything that was being thrown at us and the lack of familiarity with the new musical cues didn't help (the lack of the 20th Century Fox Fanfare at the start is a real shame as well), although when the classic themes did come in at key moments I experienced physical and emotional tingles but I didn't have any issues with watery eyes despite being somewhat prone to such things (Interstellar being a recent culprit). Anyway, I'm going to need to go and see it at least once more to take it in properly.

Oh, it was a bit of an eye-opener spotting the thanks to George Osborne and Ed Vaizey towards the end of the credits...
  • wasn't the empire the 'new order'?  maybe the 'first order' already existed, maybe it was/is a totally separate state/governance to the old republic - i guess not every system had to be part of one government....maybe the emperor came from there, was almost a rogue of snokes who tried to take over the rest of the galaxy.

i guess it would make sense if the republic was kind of a UN/european union thing - a union of all the systems to have shared rules/currency etc, but not have absolute power/control/military over everyone...there could have been some kind of truce/understanding between the republic and the first order to keep out of each others way....then the 'first order' start expanding/taking over other systems that can't defend themselves, or reclaiming systems they once had...the republic can't oppose them but can 'secretly' help the resistance to move against them.

i don't think it makes sense if kylo ren is the apprentice that went bad...cos it felt like luke had been missing for decades.
    if it's only 30 years since rotj, han and leia have a kid, he grows up, luke trains him, he goes bad and destroys the academy...so luke blames himself and fucks off whilst everyone else knows ren is now a bad guy stomping around with the first order?  given ren's abilities aren't complete and his possible age, you'd have to assume that had all happened fairly recently...doesn't really fit well with me...
    i'd like to think; (spoilered but it's just my guess/idea, but it might have some old EU influence in there)
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    One thing I didn't get (again!) was how little time had passed (as evidenced by Kylo's age / mutiny against Luke) and yet everyone's kinda forgotten the facts. Its like having World War II and 15 years later everyone's like "who the fuck is Hitler" Still, its an awesome movie and its not for plot scrutiny, its all about the ride.
    I put that down to space being a very big place, rather than time per se.  There's apparently no intergalactic internet, so if you weren't there/ don't live in the Republic, you're only going to have heard rumours.  And of course characters like Rey have had little contact with civilization as such for ages.  (Whilst Finn's only had access to one specific world view.)

That's a good observation. As for Supreme Leader Snoke, I've read some articles that hypothesis who he could potentially be, I won't mention the musings here though, in case people don't want to know. Suffice is to say though, it's interesting. 

Also, nice post g.man - hope your little one enjoyed the show :)
  • The little one is also me mate. :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Tempy wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    I think the biggest dismissal of the prequels was in the end credits. 'Based on characters created by George Lucas' Ouch!
    That's just a standard WGA credit
    A deserved (because of the prequels and special editions) kick in Lucas' bollocks, imo.

That's a very interesting way of looking at him being credited exactly how he should be credited according to the WGA.

No idea who/what the WGA is/are. And really not bothered.

All I know is Lucas went from being completely in charge, to essential creating a few characters.

And the film was all the better for it.

It's the Writers Guild of America, the association that dictates how credits should be written. Lucas went from being in charge to deciding to sell the franchise for 4 Billion USD. The credit 'based on characters created by' is the one that is included when a sequel to a property is made by someone else but for various reasons the original creator still has to be given credit for the property that they created. I think that it is discretionary but I imagine Lucasfilm being involved is key - keeping that name likely ensures continuing credit for the franchise.

I understand that people have weird hate boners over Lucas, but he created the universe (the one that so many love) and was credited appropriately in the sequel. The complete opposite from a kick in the bollocks really.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bollocks likely protected by four billion sheets
  • My hate boner for Lucas is perfectly non weird thank you very much
  • The only thing I dislike about him is that he made the unaltered originals hard to get hold of. I don't know how much that is down to him, but it's something that shouldn't be encouraged. The originals should be available, as a document to what was made.

I don't love Star Wars as much as a lot of people, but I grew up on the originals - that Lucas created with team of talented people - and nothing he's done since has made me less thankful for the originals. I'm glad he's not in charge now, but I can't really muster the hate, nor the ability to perceive a standard credit as anything other than what it is.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    I am interested in hearing theories on who Snoke is.
  • Does he have to be anyone?
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Nope. But if people have theories Id like to hear them.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    I think the biggest dismissal of the prequels was in the end credits. 'Based on characters created by George Lucas' Ouch!
    That's just a standard WGA credit
    A deserved (because of the prequels and special editions) kick in Lucas' bollocks, imo.

That's a very interesting way of looking at him being credited exactly how he should be credited according to the WGA.

No idea who/what the WGA is/are. And really not bothered.

All I know is Lucas went from being completely in charge, to essential creating a few characters.

And the film was all the better for it.

It's the Writers Guild of America, the association that dictates how credits should be written. Lucas went from being in charge to deciding to sell the franchise for 4 Billion USD. The credit 'based on characters created by' is the one that is included when a sequel to a property is made by someone else but for various reasons the original creator still has to be given credit for the property that they created. I think that it is discretionary but I imagine Lucasfilm being involved is key - keeping that name likely ensures continuing credit for the franchise.

I understand that people have weird hate boners over Lucas, but he created the universe (the one that so many love) and was credited appropriately in the sequel. The complete opposite from a kick in the bollocks really.

He had many scripts dismissed by Disney, and is apparently pretty grumpy about the film.

I'd say his bollocks have been well and truly kicked.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Nope. But if people have theories Id like to hear them.
    As would I!

Id be curious to see the scripts put forward by Lucas.....If only to see if they were more original trilogy than prequel.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    The little one is also me mate. :D

Yeah at one point I had thought that, then I got confused, then I starting typing. After that, well, it's all a blur ;)
  • He had many scripts dismissed by Disney, and is apparently pretty grumpy about the film. I'd say his bollocks have been well and truly kicked.
    You're seriously overthinking this.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    I am now officially, The Village idiot.
  • 12 year old g may or may not also have a twin sister. ;)
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Oh God, the plot thickens.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    It's gone all Twin Peaks up in here.
  • He had many scripts dismissed by Disney, and is apparently pretty grumpy about the film. I'd say his bollocks have been well and truly kicked.

That's a big shift from your original post, and I no longer have the effort to keep up with your mental gymnastics. Aye, crediting him appropriately for a franchise he's a little disappointed he sold and can't work on is a real shitter. Keep on keeping on.

Nope. But if people have theories Id like to hear them.

I thought it might be Luke. Perhaps he figures the only way to balance the force is to have a big bad, otherwise the energy becomes uneven and bad shit like your sister's son murdering a bunch of Jedi and working with a military faction that has designed a system killing weapon happens to compensate for the lack of a Dark Side.
  • Just got back. 
    I'm shattered. 

General thoughts:

I really enjoyed it. There's more cinematic craft in the first minute than all three prequels combined. 
    The sets where great the action was well shot. The Falcon on Jakku was incredible. 

Driver was good. Like a spoilt brat high school massacre nut job with a huge army. 

It did hark back to the originals too many times but I'm ok with it because I feel it's got all that nostalgia stuff out of the way. In many ways it's a setup for the following movies.
    I expect the old timer heard to get thinned out more as they go on as well!

I loved the new Luke and I loved the new Han.

I liked the new Tie Fighter, they seemed more menacing and dangerous than the originals.
    Kylo's ship was cool but the rest of the new designs where terrible. The drop ship (while a nod to WWII landing craft) was boring and the resistance sideways troop ship was just pants. As was Hans new ship, thank god they got little screen time.

Solo rocked.

Bb8 rocked.

Rey/new Luke was fantastic.

Leia was meh.

Dameron was cool.

Finn/new solo was great.

Phasma was pointless but obviously a Fett style baddy being setup for future movies.

It's just such a relief to have the Star Wars I remember and live back and the prequels are thoroughly excused from my mind now.

But to be honest from the very first set reveal where Abrams was on his Jakku set and there was puppet aliens stomping about and, an actual fucking set. I knew this guy 'gets it'
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I think someone asked if any of it mirrored or was similar to the EU, but none of it does, well aside from Han and Leia having kids. Actually one of their kids apprenticed to Luke goes bad, Jacen, but from a much older age. In fact Luke's son is the one they call Ben. Snoke isn't in the expanded universe at all so there's no information anywhere on him as of yet. Though he must of arisen quite quickly after the Empire fell. So I imagine he was practicing using the force as a potential replacement for Vader as the Emperors apprentice, or perhaps an old enemy of the emperor explaining why he's so battle scarred.
  • I am interested in hearing theories on who Snoke is.
    Ok. I'll play. Bear in mind tho that I couldn't really care less about this. He's just the big bad to me, and yes, there'll probably be a twist.
    Conventional wisdom has him pegged as maybe being Darth Plagueis.

Even if Palpatine did kill him in his sleep, they could easily write him as being re-incarnated. Dem Jedi fuckers always turn up like ghosts when they've died, and Palpatine states he had the powa to create life and prevent death.
    Then again, we've also only seen him as a ridiculous giant projection, so for all we know he could actually be Jar Jar Binks.
  • Snoke is Jar Jar. 

What we knew from pre-release information: Tall, strange bone structure, heavily scarred. 

The hologram is a wizard of Oz style mock-up. 

They thought we wouldn't know.
  • Yes. Seemed obvious to me.
  • My theory is that because Snoke is played by Serkis, it's Gollum after being corrupted by finally getting the ring of power back and then getting very burnt in Mount Doom, hence why his face is all fucked up and stuff.
  • Didn't realise that Snoke was serkis. I didn't catch Snoke's name during the movie so just tagged him as "Giant Gollum".

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!