SPOILERS Star Wars Last Jedi SPOILERS
  • I said in other thread that I didn't want to get too carried away with early praise, but my initial thoughts are that it was probably as good as it could be, better than expected, possibly better than realistically hoped.
    It's easy to pick apart anything if you want...but it was fun, funny, paid homage to the original, had good new characters, han and chewie were ace, some nice surprises, great action,and left me wanting to see the next one.

It was also great to see actors on real sets compared to the prequel green screen shite, really brought that physical, lived in feel back that made the originals so believable.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    G.Man and Stophs posts gave me a warm tingle. Just wanted to say that while I could, as I have Friday home alone with Redtube and a portal like shed.

Had a grin for over two hours and not many things can do that for me in 2015.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Hootini!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Why u keep say 'Hootini!'?
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    I think the biggest dismissal of the prequels was in the end credits. 'Based on characters created by George Lucas' Ouch!
    That's just a standard WGA credit
    A deserved (because of the prequels and special editions) kick in Lucas' bollocks, imo.

That's a very interesting way of looking at him being credited exactly how he should be credited according to the WGA.

No idea who/what the WGA is/are. And really not bothered.

All I know is Lucas went from being completely in charge, to essential creating a few characters.

And the film was all the better for it.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I liked the Stormtrooper with the big stun baton thing. More of those please.

Keep remembering little things, it's a pretty relentless film. 

Anyway, I'm off to see it for a second time on the 30th...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    ooh, and the Guavian Enforcer armor is aces.

PEOtSHW.jpg
  • FranticPea wrote:
    I liked the Stormtrooper with the big stun baton thing. More of those please. Keep remembering little things, it's a pretty relentless film.  Anyway, I'm off to see it for a second time on the 30th...
    It was fun seeing Uwais and Ruhian from The Raid in that gang, was kinda expecting them to have a scrap with Boyega, but they just got eaten by them monsters it seems. Apparently Rahman is in there as well somewhere, so I wonder if one of the 3 was the stun baton/tonfa trooper? 
    Also saw something in the credits roll about them doing some kind of additional fight or stunt choreography in "the freighter sequence", but can't remember them doing any actual fighting, jsut getting eaten... so maybe something in the extended director cut or soemthing?
  • i'm seeing it again tomorrow with the kids!  that was meant to be first viewing, but as we got within the last week, hype was building and i'd still avoided any spoilers, and decided i wouldn't make it to saturday without seeing/hearing some kind of spoiler.

there's one particular thing in the story though that i didn't really get.  why is there a resistance when the new order seems to be the bad guy uprising?  in the old extended universe, after ROTJ, the empire was defeated, and the new republic put in place to govern the galaxy.  in Force Awakens, i'm sure they mentioned republic/senate, but (hux?) said something like 'we'll destroy the senate for lying and supporting the resistance in secret'...so if the resistance isn't the official 'government army'...and the 'new order' are empire/sith sympathisers out for revenge....who is the 'legal' leaders, where's their army?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I think, though not entirely sure, that the idea was that the Republic couldn't be seen to be openly opposing the First Order, so was surreptitiously opposing them via the Resistance, or something.  To be honest, I'm quite happy for Star Wars not to go into too much detail when explaining its politics - as that way leads to discussions about taxation of trade routes...

The main thing I didn't get was what the hell was going on with R2.  "Oooh, we can't use R2, he's in low power mode."  "Oh, look, R2's conveniently not in low power mode any more..."  I assume he was waiting for a Jedi to emerge, or something, but it was all a bit silly.
  • I didnt post until today to let it settle in... There were issues with the plot etc but overall it was fucking magical. I welled up 4 times!
    It just felt like proper Star Wars. It was fun, exciting and I had a sense of wonder watching it like I was a kid again.
    Rey was unexpectedly the star for me, she was excellent.
    Finn was very decent.
    Loved Dameron.
    Loved BB8.
    Kylo was an utter wanker.
    Harrison Ford put in a wonderful performance.
    Some of the shots on Jakku were jaw dropping. Im going to go see this again in imax in the next few weeks.

But I was puzzled about some stuff.....
    Who the fuck is the Snookie dude???
    First Order as a name? What it mean?

Im guessing now with the first film out of the way and all the nods and references lifted form the originals the next movies will be freer to pursue their own course. Loved it.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I got the impression R2 was mourning/being stroppy.

Was also a bit confused by the "oh, wait, they're still rebels? So there's still an Empire? So they didn't fully win in RotJ? And the rebel fleet is now only a few x-wings? and those planets that got blown up were some kind of republic or something?". 
    I kind of had it figured that a galactic empire is pretty big and takes a long time to fully get rid of or something. They seemed to have an even bigger equipment advantage over the rebels now, star destroyers and that planet thing, and rebels only had some x-wings.
  • Also - The stormtrooper that Rey uses the force on is apparently played by Daniel Craig...
  • ...Who the fuck is the Snooke dude???
    He's the secret big bad dark side boss now I guess.
    First Order as a name? What it mean? ...

Space Nazis innit.

Also, waiting for big reveals in 8 about how Rey's parents are/were (and probably also Finn's family). I guess at the very least they can't be brother/sister this time ;-)
  • There's actually very little in the plot that holds up to any scrutiny, but that doesn't detract from the rollercoaster ride the film takes you on.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    The main thing I didn't get was what the hell was going on with R2.  "Oooh, we can't use R2, he's in low power mode."  "Oh, look, R2's conveniently not in low power mode any more..."  I assume he was waiting for a Jedi to emerge, or something, but it was all a bit silly.
    Remember the flashes that Rey gets when she picks up Luke's saber. You see Luke putting the fluence on R2.

• wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    One thing I didn't get (again!) was how little time had passed (as evidenced by Kylo's age / mutiny against Luke) and yet everyone's kinda forgotten the facts.

Its like having World War II and 15 years later everyone's like "who the fuck is Hitler"

Still, its an awesome movie and its not for plot scrutiny, its all about the ride.
  • One thing I didn't get (again!) was how little time had passed (as evidenced by Kylo's age / mutiny against Luke) and yet everyone's kinda forgotten the facts. Its like having World War II and 15 years later everyone's like "who the fuck is Hitler" Still, its an awesome movie and its not for plot scrutiny, its all about the ride.

I put that down to space being a very big place, rather than time per se.  There's apparently no intergalactic internet, so if you weren't there/ don't live in the Republic, you're only going to have heard rumours.  And of course characters like Rey have had little contact with civilization as such for ages.  (Whilst Finn's only had access to one specific world view.)
  • djchump wrote:
    ...Who the fuck is the Snooke dude???
    Space Nazis innit. Also, waiting for big reveals in 8 about how Rey's parents are/were (and probably also Finn's family). I guess at the very least they can't be brother/sister this time ;-)
    Ah yeah but Im wondering who big bad turns out to be...like is he some new form of a character we have seen or is he someone new altogether....
    Yeah it was odd about the resistance. They didnt have any awings for anything. Most peculiar.
    What Im confused about is Ben. So Luke had a Jedi training academy and Ben goes nuts and tries to destroy it all. But how can he do it? He clearly isnt a full fledged Sith Lord in this film never mind when he was training. Also Luke would have been easily able to overcome him. Im sure all that will be explained in time. But yay!!!!
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Woken up feeling positive about the movie but the death star x1000000 thing still feels totally half baked given what it is potentially capable of.

Also... Was that coruscant destroyed by it?
  • I'm going to cut any film a shitload of slack if it can make me feel like a kid again. I tend to be pretty cynical and a bit meh when it comes to AAA films but I thought it was magical.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Space Nazis innit. Also, waiting for big reveals in 8 about how Rey's parents are/were (and probably also Finn's family). I guess at the very least they can't be brother/sister this time ;-)
    Ah yeah but Im wondering who big bad turns out to be...like is he some new form of a character we have seen or is he someone new altogether....
    Yeah it was odd about the resistance. They didnt have any awings for anything. Most peculiar.
    What Im confused about is Ben. So Luke had a Jedi training academy and Ben goes nuts and tries to destroy it all. But how can he do it? He clearly isnt a full fledged Sith Lord in this film never mind when he was training. Also Luke would have been easily able to overcome him. Im sure all that will be explained in time. But yay!!!!

Ooh good point about Ben and the jedi academy.

• djchump wrote:
    I'm figuring it must be someone new, as it'd be a bit much of a stretch for it to be an all withered-up remains of the Emporer that somehow survived. Plus, it's Serkis, not McDiarmid (which I guess would be a totaly giveaway if it was McDiarmid, so we'll not 100% know until the next film I guess).
  • djchump wrote:
    I got the impression R2 was mourning/being stroppy.

Was also a bit confused by the "oh, wait, they're still rebels? So there's still an Empire? So they didn't fully win in RotJ? And the rebel fleet is now only a few x-wings? and those planets that got blown up were some kind of republic or something?". 
    I kind of had it figured that a galactic empire is pretty big and takes a long time to fully get rid of or something. They seemed to have an even bigger equipment advantage over the rebels now, star destroyers and that planet thing, and rebels only had some x-wings.

My take on that is that the Empire was vast. Post ROTJ the Republic had to 'restore hearts and minds' and potentially bring the Empire back to the fold. As years progressed, the First Order arrives as a rebirth of the Empire, embracing those who've not been swayed by the Republic. As their numbers grow so a Rebel movement does to combat the threat but also remembering the crimes of the past. The Republic is in a UN type position where it doesn't get involved for a variety of reasons and its left to the Rebels to monitor and engage the First Order.

• Re: Ben and the academy. It's not necessarily stated that Ben destroyed/disrupted it's working on his own. Possibly he revealed its whereabouts to Snooke and First Order targeted it?
  • I assumed R2 was 'concentrating' on piecing together the galaxy map, and 'awoke' when he'd completed as much as possible.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Woken up feeling positive about the movie but the death star x1000000 thing still feels totally half baked given what it is potentially capable of.

Also... Was that coruscant destroyed by it?

It was indeed. They took out the senate, or whatever it's called now.
  • I assumed R2 was 'concentrating' on piecing together the galaxy map, and 'awoke' when he'd completed as much as possible.
    Oh actually, someone at work said that in the flashback thing that Rey gets when touching the lightsaber, you see Luke with the robot hand touching up R2 head thing, so maybe he was putting a 'fluence or magic spell on him.
  • Stopharage wrote:
    Re: Ben and the academy. It's not necessarily stated that Ben destroyed/disrupted it's working on his own. Possibly he revealed its whereabouts to Snooke and First Order targeted it?

Han says one student destroyed it all and Luke felt responsible. Snoke corrupted Ben when he was an apprentice from within the group the Knights of Ren that was established after the battle of Endor, not sure if it held other Force users, but that's why he took the name Ren.
  • djchump wrote:
    I assumed R2 was 'concentrating' on piecing together the galaxy map, and 'awoke' when he'd completed as much as possible.
    Oh actually, someone at work said that in the flashback thing that Rey gets when touching the lightsaber, you see Luke with the robot hand touching up R2 head thing, so maybe he was putting a 'fluence or magic spell on him.
    Somebody further up the page said it too. :p

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!