SPOILERS Star Wars Last Jedi SPOILERS
  • b0r1s wrote:
    As for reviews, I'm really not going to bother. I've made up my mind that this is going to be a part of my movie collection, why do I need some youtubers to tell me otherwise or that there is this problem and that problem. Who does that really benefit?

This all the way.

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Had a massive grin on my face for the entire film. Says it all really. Not perfect, but it was the film it needed to be. Great stuff.

Only words I said to my friend all movie was when they were running for the ship, after they said the one to the right is garbage, was "millennium falcon".

Saw that one coming, still loved it.

It is a great flick. Just... Lots going on and a few questions. What happened to Luke, who the f is snoke, why is the republic shit, why is there a rebellion still, and the one that bugged me the most..

If the falcon can pull off an adama, and go lightspeed from inside a ship, why the fuck didn't it do it before, and why did the ships need to get to orbit to escape the snow planet in empire strikes back?

• Did they explain why they only sent 3 of them to destroy the shields on Starkiller?  Do they not have an SAS or even a couple of solid guys that might do better than a guy in his 70s?
  • hmmm the excitement at this movie has not died down with me yet.im itching to see it again. I saw Harrison ford on the Jonathan ross show the other night and I felt like battering Williams. Fuck off with your unfunny camp shit,leäve Mr ford alone. Shoe some respect han solo has just died.insensitive buffoon.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I saw Harrison ford on the Jonathan ross show the other night and I felt like battering Williams. Fuck off with your unfunny camp shit,leäve Mr ford alone. Shoe some respect han solo has just died.insensitive buffoon.

You probably shouldn't read anything Ford has to say about returning to the role.
  • Ha, he does seem to be a stubborn guy. Not particularly romantic on his legacy or anything either. Good thing he's good at his job then.
  • I'm beginning to wish I'd just skipped this and started at the next one.
  • Brooks wrote:
    I'm beginning to wish I'd just skipped this and started at the next one.

Care to actually expand on your reasonings as to why? Heard some very general vague stuff from you but nothing more than letting us all know you didn't like the film, but really skipping on the reasons why from what I read.
    This is the spoiler thread, so feel free to crack on.
    Intrigued to know why you feel this isn't any good.

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • It's no Citizen Kane.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • @Rev - my 9 year old came out saying he didn't like it, totally because of Han's death; he was gutted. Then he said even if Ren turns out to be good in the future he still wouldn't like him because of what he'd done. My 6 year old loved it though. Tellingly the 9 year old wants to see it again.

Been avoiding so much pre-release coverage of this and so read through this month's Empire which has a feature about the film. Few things:-
    - The Rebels base is the old air base at Greenham Common.
    - Daisy Ridley was pretty much a barmaid before she got the role.
    - Harrison Ford views the role as just a job and doesn't really get the whole enjoyment from the series.
    - Simon Pegg is the trader who Rey sells to.
    - They used 2 different lenses when shooting the Resistance and The First Order. A crisper, modern lens for TFO and a lighter lens for the Resistance.
  • There were pics of the rebel ships on location when those scenes were shot.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • My son had no idea Han was going to die.
    What was interesting was that he was expecting a twist so he was still alive. but that seems to be the norm in new films they don't kill off characters . For there to be some finality to it seemed to upset him more.
    Chewie being in the pilots seat in the falcon got to me like. That was my ffs moment.

There seems to be a large amount of back story to cover. Looking forward to seeing what von sydow was up to.
    The next film is going to be so Luke centric. Can't wait.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Out of interest Rev, could this be his first "real" encounter with death? As in finality? Mine was at around 9, with family, and took me time to process. If he loved Han from the originals I could see how to a 9 year old this would be difficult to cope with.
  • Hmmmm, I'm actually not convinced Luke is going to have a big role. Seems to be all about passing the baton to me, but I could just as easily be completely wrong.
    I'm presuming that Von Sydow was keeping a watchful eye over Rey. I think Luke left her on Jakku and gave him the map of where he was going so that in the future she'd be able to find him. Again, I could be completely wrong, but I guess the only important thing is I'm looking forward to finding out.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Han is holding onto an aerial like Luke in ESB. He's fine, just a bit holey. Don't fret, the Falcon will pick him up soon enough.
  • Is it just me that was deflated by the attack on the Death Star rehash at the end? Rebel base being targeted, attack the weak spot, fly away as the whole thing blows up, bit of RoTJ thrown in with Poe attacking the insides. It robbed the whole thing of any tension.
  • This may have been covered before, but that was Coruscant they destroyed right?!

I do like how the film focused less on the political side as it helped it have that fairytale/mythic legend type quality to the story.

Han's death was very effective, especially as Harrison Ford put in an excellent performance. It was wonderous seeing him running around with Chewie again.

But the best part of the film was the brilliance of the new characters. Rey was brilliant, Finn was endearing, BB-8 is a wonderful creation and Poe Dameron oozed charisma and class. They fitted in perfectly to the ongoing saga and if this film really is just passing the baton to this new cast, the next few films are in safe hands. Kylo Ren was also excellent.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • I'm beginning to wish I'd just skipped this and started at the next one.
    Care to actually expand on your reasonings as to why? Heard some very general vague stuff from you but nothing more than letting us all know you didn't like the film, but really skipping on the reasons why from what I read. This is the spoiler thread, so feel free to crack on. Intrigued to know why you feel this isn't any good.

Typed what I needed to, but to reiterate - This was such a relentless, fanservicey Do-Over! I got mighty bored. Promise of new characters and narrative squandered. If everyone is only going to get to embark on fresher shit next round, I'd prefer to have not wasted my time this round.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I can only assume it was the same company that designed the Death Stars. They do seem to have the same weakness. My suggestion to TFO is to go back to the drawing board. Do some blue sky thinking. Possible put more guards on those bits that are the weak link in the chain, something like that :-D
  • Hans death is the perfect way of spinning the previous trilogy's events with a new twist. Death Star 3.0 was just poor though. Just a full do over. Got a bit Teen Wolf Too for my liking.
  • One notion I did like is that the new bunch of fascists were more the Hitlerjugend than the fully blown Reich but that did make their slick presentation and potency a bit more odd.
  • g.man wrote:
    Hmmmm, I'm actually not convinced Luke is going to have a big role. Seems to be all about passing the baton to me, but I could just as easily be completely wrong. I'm presuming that Von Sydow was keeping a watchful eye over Rey. I think Luke left her on Jakku and gave him the map of where he was going so that in the future she'd be able to find him. Again, I could be completely wrong, but I guess the only important thing is I'm looking forward to finding out.

Re: Sydow, that was my thought. But doesn't the blurb at the start say an old friend of ten Resistance, ie Sydow, has found a clue to Luke's whereabouts? Although they could've said that to cover the plot or something.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Oh probably.
  • I, like G, think Luke is going to be a bit of a satellite character in the next one, I get the feeling the old guard are getting put to bed and the torch will be carried by the new characters.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Out of interest Rev, could this be his first "real" encounter with death? As in finality? Mine was at around 9, with family, and took me time to process. If he loved Han from the originals I could see how to a 9 year old this would be difficult to cope with.

He's experienced the passing of my father. I guess he's used to the inevitable plot twist which clearly isn't going to happen.

• pantyfire wrote:
    I, like G, think Luke is going to be a bit of a satellite character in the next one, I get the feeling the old guard are getting put to bed and the torch will be carried by the new characters.
    Yeah, I figure he'll be a reluctant Yoda and teach Rey, but then there'll also be a bit of family tear-jerking with the Leia reunion and he'll probably do at least one lightsaber fight, maybe vs Snoke, maybe die.

• If Rey is indeed Luke's daughter as people are speculating, then who is her mother?
    If true, then perhaps it will turn out that she was murdered by The Nights of Ren when they fucked up Luke's Jedi academy, prompting Luke to hide Rey on Jakku then fuck off into exile?

mayber

g.man
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Ren's Mom could have died in childbirth like Padme.  This writing stuff is a piece of piss.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!