MaM spoilerific thread of massive spoilers in the study with the candlestick
‹ Previous12345
  • MaM discussion.

having read external articles. I reckon he did it.

Have at it, @Nick_md
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I came here to find out what MaM is.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • What are the external articles?
  • http://www.avclub.com/article/read-damning-evidence-against-steven-avery-making--230224

it's actually a link through this to the OG article. There may be many other articles, but this was enough for me to pause.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Get on the MaM subreddit, lots of interesting stuff and speculation is RIFE
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I don't want speculation outside of here thanks. I like to keep speculation under control. I'd like some concrete stuff.

Always wary since The Staircase got me good.

And always understanding how much is left out, no matter the length of a doco, a trial has so much more detail, and so little background music and slick editing.
  • Having seen some of the other evidence not shown in the doc, I also think he did it.
    I think Brendan was involved or knew about it but not to the extent he confessed to. He possibly saw the body before it was burnt or Avery told him about it.
    If I was on the Jury I would have found both guilty, given that the Jury wouldn't have seen the tapes forcing confessions out of Brendan.
    The key bit of evidence that let the defence down was the blood test not containing the chemical. I'm pretty sure that was corrupted evidence but a jury has to see the evidence as it is presented.
    Due to the way Brendan was harrased into confessions he is owed a retrial, as his confession was used against Steven he also deserves a retrial although it would still likely receive the same verdict.

The problem with retrailing now is that this is a global news story. How the hell would you find an unbiased jury?

It is clear Steven and Brendan aren't the only guilty parties here though. The police are bent, the judge is bent, the FBI testers are bent.
    At the very least the local police were rubbing their hands with glee that he could be convicted of murder.

A confusing aspect of the whole thing is why being a murderer now should have denied him his compensation for the wrongful conviction previously.
  • Brendan's confession should have been thrown out just on his learning difficulties. With no lawyer or guardian present, an IQ in the 60s and being 17 it was too easy to manipulate him.

In court he didn't answer a single question straight. The dumb shit would get totally confused if you asked him what he had for breakfast.
  • Personally I don't think he did it. Yes the stuff in that article is creepy, but none of it is proof he was obsessed with her. However, I would not argue with a jury that found him guilty if he was given a fair trial, which he clearly was not.

The behaviour of the Manitowoc Sheriffs is highly suspect, the prosecution put forward a case that this guy is a creepy low IQ rapist with an escalating criminal past while maintaining that this guy and his equally borderline nephew then had the ability to go full Dexter on the clean up job after the deed was done but fucked up by not hiding the car or disposing of the body properly.

Avery may well be guilty, but none of that should excuse the fucking cunts involved in prosecuting the case from getting what they deserve and the saddest part is that there is a chance the police may have let a killer carry on doing their thing because of their short sighted attempt to salvage their honour by putting the guy who was suing them behind bars to prove he was a bad guy all along.

I just hope that over here in the UK our police force wouldn't behave in such a manner.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • The only issue with a lot of these 'evidence left out' articles is that a lot of it is still very circumspect. Sweat under the hood of the car can be explained. The eivdence in the barrel explained. In fact, all the evidence can be so easily manipulated to support either Avery murdered her or he was framed. The whole situation is a cluster fuck of insane magnitude due to horrendous police practice regardless of whether Avery did it or not.

My question is what would be his motive for killing her?
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • A confusing aspect of the whole thing is why being a murderer now should have denied him his compensation for the wrongful conviction previously.

It didn't. Once he had been arrested the state offered him $400,000 which he took (and I think they knew he would take) because he had to hire his defence team.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • However how gay was everyone for Strang and Buting by the end? I would deffo french off with Strang if he was up for it.
  • I like big Mamms.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The rape part of the case didn't add up. The fact they didn't do DNA tests on the bed/matress/room.
    That whole scenario came from the confession and could have been something concocted by the police to make Avery look worse and secure the conviction/a longer sentence. The idea Brendan read it in a book is laughable either way, that kid wouldn't have read any book that has something as complex as that.
    The rape also established a motive, something clearly missing without it.
  • Roujin wrote:
    A confusing aspect of the whole thing is why being a murderer now should have denied him his compensation for the wrongful conviction previously.

It didn't. Once he had been arrested the state offered him $400,000 which he took (and I think they knew he would take) because he had to hire his defence team.

Ah ok. Missed that.
  • Luckily for the state 400k is a lot less than the 36mil they were on the hook for after their insurers said they wouldn't pay out on their behalf.
  • It does seem ridiculous that they didn't test anything in that room for dna. Apart from the keys. I also find it very concerning that absolutely no-one else was investigated or even considered.
  • Also that the key ONLY had Avery's DNA on it. Surely impossible unless Avery thoroughly cleaned it, handled it again, then just threw it on the floor.
  • Its not ridiculous when you consider the prosecution was looking to build a case around their main suspect. They only had Brendans heavily coerced confession to work with, they knew there was a good chance if they did the test they might not get any dna, and the defence would use it to help aquit Avery.
  • Maybe not ridiculous from the prosecution perhaps, but surely ridiculous from the lead investigators then?

If they thought there had been a violent rape and murder then surely they would have tested that room far more thoroughly.
  • You would have thought it would be standard procedure.

What was the bit about the cop spotting the Rav4 driving around after she was dead? I was distracted and didn't follow that part too well.
  • Its sickening to me that in the US and possibly other counties the state prosecutor's focus isn't that the right person is being prosecuted, its that they need to build the best case they canto fit the prime suspect to the crime to give them the best chance at securing a conviction, instead of actually proving they have the right person.

One of the lawyers (I think I was that smexy beast Strang) made a good point after the extra charges were added to the case that the state only needed to convict on one charge to 'win' as far as they were concerned, while the defence need to be found not guilty on all charges to 'win'.
  • Something I thought while watching the doc is what it must be like to watch it as someone who followed the story on the news when it happened.
    No doubt media outlets were worse the police.
  • It is pretty damning.

I loved Strang's final comments to the press where he told them to leave Brandon alone and not portray him as guilty from the outset.

In fact, everyone apart from the wonderful defending lawyers, seemed to forget about innocent until proven guilty.
  • Some of the behaviour from the prosecution was awful.  The collaboration between the prosecution and Brendan's "lawyer" should have seen some of the sacked/jailed.  It turns out that grinning idiot became a judge!

I wonder if there's ever been a comprehensive look at the British justice system to see if anything like this is common or even possible here.
  • I am sure corruption happens here but a big catalyst in the Avery case seems to be that local law enforcement offices are almost like franchises.
    Avery's lawsuit would have bankrupted the local police force, I dont think we are setup like that, forces have budgets but a case like Avery's would have come out of the big pot of money.
  • A rather flamboyant gay guy I know just made me chuckle.
    He can't get past episode 3 because the haircuts are so bad.

Not gonna lie the appauling haircuts did distract me a few times.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    There's a book like thing called the Hillsborough Report that says police tampered with not only witness statements but their own....on topic:

Anyway- not gone off on a made web search yet, nor read that article(s) above. On evidence to convict that's based on juries reaching a decision where it is beyond reasonable doubt. There's too much doubt in this which ultimately is why juries are fucking dumb ideas- I really think people called should have to have some kind of tutoring & assessment before being assigned.

On doubts:

There is Lenk's right hand man's call to dispatch to run a plate, that he can't explain how he could fill in the blanks- make and model.

Ultimately there is the clean-up operation which obviously never happened because you can't just remove DNA like that. There must be a scene where it did happen. The vic's body in the back of the car is testament to that but yet they still insisted that it was in the garage.

Even at the time, forensic archeology wasn't that shit so why treat the scene like you're a kid with a shovel at the beach, as the defence expert testified...similarly, and touching on the previous point, blood splatter analysis wasn't a new idea either, as the defence attorneys allude when they're deliberating together.

The ex-BF seemed to make good calls, here's a camera go over there, here's a map so I'm sure you're off the right place. Coincidence, perhaps.

The nuisance phone calls the vic. was said to have been receiving, did I miss it or was it not established in the series who they were from?

I deffo agree with great-hair-Strang, police will plant evidence if they're convinced someone is guilty and it means the end of investigations so that the state is happy to prosecute. I think that's what's happened here, as it did the first time so I am quite inquisitive about what everyone's relationships were like in the lead up to the '95 conviction.

Whether he did it or not, the evidence just isn't there. Justice, winning hearts and minds. The prosecution behave worse than Michael Moore.

Great show.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Whole case seemed like good(ish) looking middle class people versus ugly looking working class people.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Apologies. Forgot about Hillsborough.
  • The evidence (as shown to the Jury) is the car on Avery's property, his blood on the car, remains in the fire pit, Brendan's confession, the bullet matching Avery's gun.
    That is pretty solid, as presented.
    It is enough to leave me not entirely sure even after seeing how corrupt the police clearly are.
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!