Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    So Nunberg, Trump's former campaign advisor, has been subpoenaed by Mueller and ordered to turn over all his communications with Trump and the the rest of the campaign team.

He went on a TV news interview tour last night ranting and raving about how he will refuse to comply with the subpoena, how Trump almost certainly knew about the meeting with the Russians in Trump Tower, how Trump "may have done something illegal" and basically had a bit of a melt down.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Remember it took a couple of years (about 26 months from the break-in right up to his resignation) for Watergate to take Nixon down. He even won re-election in the interim. This investigation could still well be Trump's downfall.

However - Nixon resigned in the face of a slam-dunk impeachment with no support from the party.  Not sure if Trump's ego and apparent inability to see reality would allow him to do that.

I'm also not sure I'd relish the US being run by his replacement.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 4 More Years!!
    4 More Years!!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Lets-Make-America-Great-Again-Reagan3.jpg
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Cohn is goin'.

The thing that brings Trumpy down might be good old fashioned protectionism, destroying the very economy he intends to save. He really is a poor thinker.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Brand Wars
  • Gonna be interesting to see if this “Vidyagames Summit” effort at blaming the school shootings on games will chip away at the orange turdlord’s support amongst the gamergating alt-right nerdcore.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    So Trump is going to meet with Kim Jong Un. That's a pretty big deal, but I can't see it actually happening. If he pulls it off he could turn the tide of opinion against him.
  • Bound to get on like something on fire.
  • Trump will show his normal tact and diplomacy and ask Kim if he was pleased to get so many views for Gangnam Style.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Interesting to see who wins their round of golf
  • https://youtu.be/0C_IBSuXIoo

Such violence.
    Protect the children from vid'yagames!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    hunk wrote:
  • I watched that earlier.
    Much of it is taken out of context which doesn't help. A good third of it is stuff where you don't have to kill anyone, No Russian doesn't ask the player to fire the gun, in fact that is kind of the point.

That being said it does shine a bit of a light on the violence in games. I'm not having it that they make mass killers but I do think parents should be aware of how violent games can be, there is clearly still an issue with kids playing games with adult themes and playing them online with adults.

It doesn't help that the American ratings system is advisory. I do think they should start enforcing it properly.

Generally I don't think anything will change, this is all just distraction techniques until people get bored of hassling the NRA.
  • Less worried about splattery, exploding-testicle violence in entertainment than entertainment that reinforces hoorah bullshit about the troops, cops, endorses capitalism etc. Different tier of violence, really.

To say nothing about how fucking toxic gamer communities are capable of being.
  • I just got a pm from Steam saying they removed a hate group I reported 2 years ago.
    Probably because of negative press the industry is receiving now due to that posted video lol.

Steam groups are an unmoderated mess filled with vile hate groups. The underbelly of the extreme and alt right resides there just hidden from plain sight. Only just. When you search steam groups for words like nazi, jew, ni**r the amount of hits is mindboggling. Oddly, many of them are eastern european and russian too.....
  • That... does not seem especially odd, sadly.
  • Yeah Steam can be a bit grubby.
    Valve aren't Intrested in any form of regulation.

I stick to the top layer of the store and skim read a few reviews just to make sure the game isn't broken.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Less worried about splattery, exploding-testicle violence in entertainment than entertainment that reinforces hoorah bullshit about the troops, cops, endorses capitalism etc. Different tier of violence, really. To say nothing about how fucking toxic gamer communities are capable of being.

Generally agree.

Obviously though the problem with the current focus on videogame violence only exists to distract from actual violence.

Child uses AR15 in Call of Duty: ban the games.
    Child uses AR15 in school: do nothing.

Obviously games and media and all forms of entertainment have an effect. Otherwise the emotional response at both ends of the spectrum represented by advertising and literary works would not exist. 

There is no logical coherency or consistency in the GOP here except for that which benefits its biggest donors. The right to sell arms is considered greater than the right to life (after the third trimester) and the right to free speech.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I agree that violence in games does not cause violence in the real world.
    BUT I also think what America should do it BAN ALL violent games for say a year in the understanding that if the amount of shootings don't go down then it's obvious that games are not to blame.
    I don't want the games industries stance on violent games to be like the NRA that won't budge on gun control.If we show the games industry can at lest try to reduce gun violence then maybe when violent games are exonerated they can try something else that might work-like maybe getting some gun control.
    You rang.....
  • Except one can already deduce the problem is likely to be firearms. The EU doesn't have an endemic of gun violence despite having a similar demographic. Australia, N. Zealand and Canada also don't have rampant school shootings despite kids being exposed to the same media and games. Not to say parents shouldn't monitor the gaming habits of their offspring; they totally should. It's their job to bring up their children to be mentally fit and socially able.

But truth be told it's the abundance of guns permeating American society which sets it apart. Toxic youth culture (bullying, hate groups) and a failing mental health care system don't help matters. Allowing everyone unfettered access to firearms is a ticking time bomb set to go off repeatedly and periodically, over and over again. The only way to break the cycle (imho) is to take guns out of the equation.

Citizens would then have to start trusting the government to maintain law and order. But then again that's the problem no? They don't.....

And so they cling to their guns.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The gun industry have loads of money and want guns to keep being sold and will keep lobbying / saying it's the 2nd amendment, forever and ever. Cos their livelihood will stop otherwise, and they care more about that than about lives.

Taking guns out of the equation will sadly not happen easily. The ridiculous political lobbying stuff needs to stop first.
  • Yup, the law (2nd amendment) is the perfect way to safeguard your business and market. The NRA certainly has done a remarkable job at that.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Less worried about splattery, exploding-testicle violence in entertainment than entertainment that reinforces hoorah bullshit about the troops, cops, endorses capitalism etc. Different tier of violence, really.

I am aligned with the B on this.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!