Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @Yoss yes he could have but Johnson doesn’t care and if it gives him some brownie points to Trump he’s going to do it.

The taking back narrative is as hollow as MAGA. A sound bite for the frustrated white right. The reality is he will do whatever works for his personal gains and throw anyone under the NHS bus while doing it.

I’m more interested in the links to the Brexit party via the reporter involved and who is really gaining here.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Oakeshott, the reporter in question, is banging the chairman of the BXP. She’s also suing the Graun because John Crace alluded to this in one of his sketches.
  • She's also supporting the defamation lawsuit against Caroline Cadwalladr, trying to silence a fellow journalist. Disgusting.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Oakeshott, the reporter in question, is banging the chairman of the BXP. She’s also suing the Graun because John Crace alluded to this in one of his sketches.

Well, that wasn't John Crace's allusion, let's be honest. He was implying that she gets stories because she fucks him. I don't like Oakeshott and I don't think this story has any public merit or benefit to the UK, but Crace's line about her relationship there was pure, nasty sexism at its finest.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It was a bit more subtle than that, IMO. Guido Fawkes has the original quotes.

Not least because the only way Isabel Oakeshott, the journalist who got the leaked emails, ever gets a scoop is if Nigel or Arron Banks slips it to her.

I don’t think he’s implying that they’re both shagging her, but he is alluding to the relationship.

Also, I’m not sure that the above is particularly inaccurate.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    It was a bit more subtle than that, IMO. Guido Fawkes has the original quotes.
    Not least because the only way Isabel Oakeshott, the journalist who got the leaked emails, ever gets a scoop is if Nigel or Arron Banks slips it to her.
    I don’t think he’s implying that they’re both shagging her, but he is alluding to the relationship. Also, I’m not sure that the above is particularly inaccurate.

He said the only way she gets a story is if 2 blokes leave the story under her pillow. That's as subtle as a sledge hammer, come off it. It's been changed now (although I don't see any acknowledgement of the edit on the original story) and quite rightly.
  • It's not law suit worthy, and i can't stand the woman - i'd hate for this to distract from the main issue. But let's call John Crace's line what it is, in this case. Sexist.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I disagree. Oakeshott’s actions over the past year or two certainly show that she’s willing to put stories into the press at the behest of Brexiteers and I think she deserves to be called out for that. The implication of shagging is entirely by the by, IMO.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I disagree. Oakeshott’s actions over the past year or two certainly show that she’s willing to put stories into the press at the behest of Brexiteers and I think she deserves to be called out for that.

Agreed. And you can do that without leaning into lazy accusations of her getting stories by being a slut. 
    Yossarian wrote:
    The implication of shagging is entirely by the by, IMO.

You're a nasty piece of work when it suits you, Yoss.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Charming.

I just read this differently to you, I don’t see it as such, but cheers.
  • I don't see a problem with the original wording. I suspect the other versions are the work of a sub, not Crace.
  • Crace seems guilty of casual misogyny, the sort that should have left well behind us in the ’80s.

Oakeshott is guilty of being a crappy, compromised journalist who feeds nonsense from shitty people into the press.

The people giving her those stories? They’re the really nasty pieces of work.

Her editors who encourage and publish the stories, knowing full well where they come from and how biased/untrue they are? Now they should be disciplined for their complicity.
  • I agree with cinty it was casually misogynistic/sexist. But I happen to think sketch writers should have licence to do that, and other things, because they're not journalists. They're comedians. But if you think comedians should not say sexist, racist, homophobic and other offensive things, then I can't see why you would disagree with cinty
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • And, as predicted by many of us here, 'send her back' is now the new rally cry of the Trump horde.

It's going to be an ugly election campaign...
    SFV - reddave360
  • They're never exactly handsome.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    And, as predicted by many of us here, 'send her back' is now the new rally cry of the Trump horde. It's going to be an ugly election campaign...
    It's certainly more efficient - last time around they needed "lock her up" and "build the wall" to hit both misogyny and racism, but this time they've got the double-whammy all in one.
  • Is it being reported as racist at all in USA press?? Astonishing
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    A bit left of field, but I thought this was an interesting story:
    https://www.newstatesman.com/world/north-america/2019/07/rise-and-fall-breitbart

In the run up to the election, and a little after it, I did actually hit Breitbart on occasion to see... Well... How big the pile of shit was.

Now, I can barely remember the name.

I've also realised that the whole 'Gamegate' thing passed me by completely...
    And I didn't know just how intrinsically tied that event was to our current state of affairs.

Real POMO shit.

I'm not sure if I'm as media savvy as I like to think I am at my age...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    Is it being reported as racist at all in USA press?? Astonishing

AFAIK CNN are the only outlet explicitly calling it "racist". Most other people - including the BBC - are hiding behind couched language such as "comments which have been widely criticized as racist". If I still taught media studies I'd be a pig in shit right now.
  • Jeremy Cunt on the BBC this morning condemning trump's use of language as 'inappropriate' but refusing to say it's racist. In fact, refusing to say the word 'racist' at all - only referring to it as 'the R word'.

I never thought it was possible, but another new low had been achieved. Possibly even more spineless than BoJo.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • regmcfly wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    Is it being reported as racist at all in USA press?? Astonishing

AFAIK CNN are the only outlet explicitly calling it "racist". Most other people - including the BBC - are hiding behind couched language such as "comments which have been widely criticized as racist". If I still taught media studies I'd be a pig in shit right now.

‘Racially charged’ eugh

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just a bunch of racially charged people at the rally last night nbd
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Jeremy Cunt on the BBC this morning condemning trump's use of language as 'inappropriate' but refusing to say it's racist. In fact, refusing to say the word 'racist' at all - only referring to it as 'the R word'.

I never thought it was possible, but another new low had been achieved. Possibly even more spineless than BoJo.

His response during the debate was even worse. He spraffed something about being foreign secretary and he's not going to destroy the relationship with a close ally by using "that" word.
  • Christ.

You know when we studied the rise of the nazi party you always wondered how it happened. Well here we are
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • There's a fairly high chance the UK might not survive Brexit with the country eventually falling apart in smaller nation states. I don't expect the Irish backstop ever to be resolved and a Brexit recession might be the final drop for the Scots to go at it alone. NI may or may not rejoin the EU by uniting with the rest of Ireland.

As for Trump he's an opportunist. He'll try the exact same trick he did in 2016; exploiting gerrymandering and the electoral college. He doesn't need the majority of US voters behind him, just the few of the left behind in the swing states. And chances are he might win again. Being accused of racism will only embolden him and fire up his rolly trolly base. And they're gleefully loving it.

Big question is will Russia still back him in 2020?
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Gerrymandering isn’t a factor in presidential elections.
  • Perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology but Trump and the gop are definitely exploiting the EC.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah, the electoral college is certainly a thing, but FWIW, it’s no more exploitable for the GOP than it is for the Dems, it’s just that the GOP happen to have a lot of support in rural areas which have proportionally stronger votes. However, that could change if the Dems are able to appeal to those voters, there’s no way for the Republicans to entrench that hold over rural areas like they can do with gerrymandering.
  • Agreed, the dems will have to 'steal' those swing states from Trump.
    Not gonna be easy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!