Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • Trump was always going to find it difficult going in Iowa, it's the latter states he should be stronger in.

The question is, who will have dropped out by then? Huckabee has gone, and I'd expect Christie Kaishe and maybe Bush gone after New Hampshire. And then, where do their votes go?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm in an odd position now in that I'm hoping Trump will win the nomination. As I've said before, I don't believe for a second that he can become president, so whether he's up against Clinton or Sanders, the democrats will find it hard to lose. Anyone else could be a real threat to Sanders (especially as he's likely to get a rough ride from much of the media), and could well beat Clinton as well. So, yeah, um... go Trump.
  • The theory seemed to be that Trump didn't need to win Iowa, the winner there never wins the Republican nomination anyway. It's more about staying credible early on, donor money dries up otherwise.
  • So is the USA presidential race pretty much like a regional Pop Idol or something?
  • I'm hoping kid rock was directly responsible for trump not getting the nod.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • So the Democrat result has officially been declared - Clinton 49.86% to Sanders 49.57%.

The exit poll data is interesting. If you're under 45, you probably went for Sanders, if you're over 45 you probably went for Clinton. If you're under 30, you almost certainly went for Sanders, if you're over 65, you most likely went for Clinton - though not as decisively as Sanders got the youth vote.

Of the people who were doing this for the first time (44% of those polled), nearly 60% went for Sanders. If you usually think of yourself as a Democrat, you probably went for Clinton, if you think of yourself as an Independent or something else (Not a republican) you in most cases went for Sanders. This group made up 20% of those polled.
  • Is it a winner takes all scenario? Or do Sanders and Clinton share the victory?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Winner takes all.

Also, Clinton took 6 votes by a coin toss.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    That's it, no more Sanders?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    No, he's just lost Iowa. He's polling at something like 18 points ahead in New Hampshire which is next to vote.

There's even a suggestion that, despite losing the overall poll, Sanders may have won the popular vote in Iowa, but electoral arithmetic and that.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Dante's info near made me shit- that's good news- I thought lots had happened in a few days.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • The thing is fifty fifty in a place where he was zero only last April.

This is some real momentum and the sign if you support him elsewhere that he isn't a complete loser will only enhance his position.

Imagine a g8 with corbyn and sanders!! Kind of weird when you think about it.
  • Coin toss!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Literally. Amazingly, Clinton was 6 for 6. There's the beginning of a conspiracy theory right there.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Winner takes all. 

Actually it's not:

Big picture time: Despite every pundit’s fixation on the notion of momentum, there is a little thing called “delegate allocation” that these primaries are actually supposed to be about. It takes 2,382 delegates to win the Democratic nomination for president, and Iowa possesses only 44 for the taking.

Hillary Clinton’s razor-thin victory in the Iowa Democratic caucuses means she and Vermont senator Bernie Sanders are going to split up those delegates, Solomon-style: Clinton will collect 23 delegates and Sanders will win 21. With her advantage in superdelegates - party officials who can support the candidate of their choice, a feature exclusive to the Democrats - Clinton now has a total of 385 delegates, or a little more than 16% of the amount she needs. Sanders has 29.

Granted, delegate-chasing isn’t everything - Clinton tried that in her 2008 campaign against then-senator Barack Obama, and she ended up working for him.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Oh yeah I forgot about the superdelegates. That's like when we were giving graduates two votes. lel how archaic are murican democrats! lel lel
  • Trump continues to be hilarious. A tweet he posted, then deleted.

CaS0vteWYAApkPr.jpg
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Winner takes all. 

Actually it's not:

Big picture time: Despite every pundit’s fixation on the notion of momentum, there is a little thing called “delegate allocation” that these primaries are actually supposed to be about. It takes 2,382 delegates to win the Democratic nomination for president, and Iowa possesses only 44 for the taking.

Hillary Clinton’s razor-thin victory in the Iowa Democratic caucuses means she and Vermont senator Bernie Sanders are going to split up those delegates, Solomon-style: Clinton will collect 23 delegates and Sanders will win 21. With her advantage in superdelegates - party officials who can support the candidate of their choice, a feature exclusive to the Democrats - Clinton now has a total of 385 delegates, or a little more than 16% of the amount she needs. Sanders has 29.

Granted, delegate-chasing isn’t everything - Clinton tried that in her 2008 campaign against then-senator Barack Obama, and she ended up working for him.

Ah, my mistake.
  • poprock wrote:
    Trump continues to be hilarious. A tweet he posted, then deleted. CaS0vteWYAApkPr.jpg
    He's still tweeting along those lines. It's about Cruz's campaign apparently saying Carson had dropped out and supported Cruz, and saying Trump supports Obamacare.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • He posted that tweet, deleted it, then reposted it without the word ‘illegal’.

It was almost as though we saw him react to a lawyer’s phone call in real time.
  • I steal legally all the time.

I mean I've never been caught so it must be.
  • Matt_82 wrote:

It's not them, it's ABC. They didn't have a staffer with an earpiece to send people on, so Carson and Trump could not hear their names be called. They didn't realise this until too late, at which point they called them again, and forgot they still had Kaise to come.
  • Staffer with an earpiece to send people on.

T3HYaNm.jpg
  • Who appears a full 15 seconds after Carsons name is called, and appears to say "Go go go" just as Ted Cruz's name is announced, so Carson naturally halts as it appears they have fucked up the order.

The staffer then appears again saying just "go" again at the exact point they announce Donald Trump. This causes him to miss the cue to get Trump to walk out. You can see as Bush walks out that he has no idea what is happening, if he is next to go or not. Even on TV we can barely hear Kasich announced.

Then someone realises the fuckup, and the moderator asks Carson to come out, but again because of the noise from this, Trump then can't hear that he's been called again. They then call him again, and forget about Kaisich until Rubio points this out.

All of which would have been avoided if the guy creeping around the curtain were stood with them in the wings, or instructed them to walk directly out rather than them relying on being able to hear backstage. Quite how the director wasn't telling the moderators that Carson, and then Trump, then Kaisich missed their cues I've no idea.
  • I'm not sure what you're watching.  You can see the staffer when Carson's name is called.

I'm done though.  This is just fucking weird.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    gud gif
  • No you can't, in the very video you linked, no one appears around the curtain until 24 seconds in. Carsons name is called at 9 seconds.

If people want to slate Trump and Carson, there is plenty to do that with, but this is obviously ABC's fault.
  • I used to like the radio alarm and the comforting sound of Radio 4. These days I'm increasingly waking up to the sound of whooping Republicans which is less good.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!