Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Bush had dropped out
  • Please clap.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • So the Presidential election is going to be
    TRUMP-'TON?
  • That's not even remotely decided.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Things are looking up for Clinton, but it's not over yet.
  • I watched a bit of a recent Trump town hall gig the other day. That's one part of US political culture that I wish UK would copy. In past elections I've wtched loads of them but this is my first this year.
    Trump's pretty good. He gives off a "this is just between me and the people in this room" kinda vibe, and he promises almost nothing. I think all of the promises I saw were more about procedure than results. It was all stuff like "I'll get the top (unspecified) business guys to negotiate the best deals for the country." The crowd were loving it but, out of 40 minutes talking, there was virtually nothing there that anyone could hold him to.

I could never understand the appeal of George W Bush until I saw him do a town hall. All I'd seen was him in a suit at a lectern fucking up almost everything he said. At a town hall without a script he was completely different.
  • I'm not sure it would work in Britain, there's a lot less whooping and hollering in British society and a more cynical attitude, especially towards politicians.

I'm not sure how useful a skill bullshitting thousands of people who already support you is anyway, but it's a nice bit of razzmatazz for the telly I guess. The Americans do it much better than we ever could.

'Boris Johnson, live at Wembley' probably wouldn't be quite so good.

Other ideas:

'Corbyn, the Red Menace Tour' (recorded live at Birmingham NEC).

Iain Duncan Smith, Live & Lewd

Hillary Benn, Greatest Hits (Live) - includes the legendary 'bomb Syria' speech and many more...

Thatcher: the Tribute concert (ft David Cameron, George Osborne, Richard Littlejohn, Jim Davidson, Tony Blair, Ken Clarke and a galaxy of stars)

That one ends with a big joyous singalong version of 'We Are The World' beneath a photo montage of Maggie.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Cameron: don't stop 'til you've sold it off.
  • 'Cameron In The Wind'

The blustery weather conditions couldn't stop Dave from delivering this blistering set, recorded live at the 2016 Donnington Monsters of Rock concert.

'Gove Vibrations'

Michael Gove brings his own unique brand of sunshine pop, and cheery summer sound to Brighton Beach. Michael Gove, the soundtrack to a perfect, endless summer.
  • I'm not sure how useful a skill bullshitting thousands of people who already support you is anyway, but it's a nice bit of razzmatazz for the telly I guess. The Americans do it much better than we ever could.
    When done right, they're open to everyone and they take questions from the crowd. You're right that the UK don't need echochamber speeches and doesn't do whooping.
  • Fuck doing things the yank way.
    It is like a pop tour, horrible, media friendly bullshit.

As dull and bias as Question Time can be it stands high above what the Americans do.
    Politics should be dull, it should be grey and boring and full of uninteresting and not very sexy things like facts and statistics.

It should never ever be about filling sporting stadiums with hooping and hollering morons, nor should it be about how a sandwich is eaten.

There is an attitude that this kind of thing is good because it gets the non-voters interested but that is horse shit. If people aren't interested in voting based on the merits of democracy then screw them, or at least attempt to explain the importance of voting. This isnt the X Factor, peoples lives, livelihoods and general well being are at stake. This isn't a game.

If people want to act like children and not get involved without a chimp in a hat running, then they should be treated as such because frankly I would rather it was left to informed people to vote, whatever way they choose.
  • That chimp's got some good policies. Just give him a chance.
  • There is an attitude that this kind of thing is good because it gets the non-voters interested but that is horse shit.
    No, there's an attitude that this kind of thing is good because it's open to everyone and they take questions from the crowd.

They're not all like the big ones on TV, Trump has been turning thousands away at his so they're probably all going to be huge from now on, some of them are tiny.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    Trump has been turning thousands away at his so they're probably all going to be huge from now on, some of them are tiny.
    Exactly!
    Pick and choose who turns up, who is let in and what is shown on TV.

There is no impartial organisation reporting what is actually happening.
    It is a garbage system influenced heavily by media spin and agenda.
  • Even when there are more supporters than can fit in the venue, they still have their merit.

trumpprotestors-ktla.jpg

But that's not all there is to town hall meetings.

Romney_2012_0f1cd.jpg?uuid=xlrGIN_CEeCZSGdgG42zWw
  • Those type of events work in the U.S. because:-
    -it's a two party system with a far more partisan electorate;
    - the percentage of floating voters is more pronounced in the UK;
    - the physical size of the country means that a candidate visit is likely to be the last one for 5 years;
    - it's far more engrained in their political culture, see also TV debates.
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    I'm not sure it would work in Britain, there's a lot less whooping and hollering in British society and a more cynical attitude, especially towards politicians. I'm not sure how useful a skill bullshitting thousands of people who already support you is anyway, but it's a nice bit of razzmatazz for the telly I guess. The Americans do it much better than we ever could.

The SNP did it in Scotland last year. Nicola Sturgeon live at the SSE Hydro in Glasgow. 12,000 fans. Utterly ridiculous and a match for anything you see in US politics. It wasn’t even for campaign purposes – it was to celebrate winning.

_79219324_snphydrocrowd.jpg
  • Aside from the obvious egging opportunity, does nobody else think that Romney on a chair pic would be nice in UK?
  • I like the idea of Cameron having to stand on a chair and shout to a bunch of people in a room who aren't necessarily in agreement with him.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I assume that's exactly what he does in every meeting with his backbenchers
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    We have hustings, don't we?
  • I like the idea of Cameron having to stand on a chair and shout to a bunch of people in a room who aren't necessarily in agreement with him.
    It should be a game show where every time an audience member spots a lie they get to kick the chair.
  • We're gonna need a bigger chair...
  • acemuzzy wrote:

I've only been to a Green Party hustings. That was for standing as a Parliamentary candidates. I don't believe any MP faces reselection do they? Once you are in, you are in, which is shit.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I've only been to a Green Party hustings. That was for standing as a Parliamentary candidates. I don't believe any MP faces reselection do they? Once you are in, you are in, which is shit.

MPs can be deselected. 
    Lookee here.
  • So, big wins for Trump and Clinton it seems. As they say:

Similar to The Donkey Kong, it is on.

Poor Sanders/Cruz/other guy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!