The Long Dark
‹ Previous1234
  • 7dAN08p.jpg

Awesome survival game available on Steam and Bone.

Wiki

After the hour free trial it grabbed me so much I had to buy it. Six huge maps available on PC and Bone now -(maps are linked so you can travel between them)

My first proper play through saw me lasting 3 days and 22 hours. I could've lasted a whole lot longer, but I got careless. Ended up getting ripped apart by a wolf.

First couple of days had me scavenging for supplies around the various fishing huts on a frozen lake. Third day I got cocky, after stumbling across a rifle by a dead hunter with four bullets.

After surviving a blizzard in my little shack, and living off jerky and a fish I hooked out of a hole in the ice, I ventured outside into the night to seek more firewood. Immediately I spied the shadow of a bear in the distance, and two wolves skulking to the east. They both approached. I lit the only flare I possessed, which scattered the wolves but left the bear unperturbed - he charged me. I hoisted my rifle and fired two shots - which did nothing but make him charge faster it seemed, but on the third shot, I dropped him just inches from me and my fizzling flare.

In the last minutes of light I had from the flare, I greedily tried skinning the bear for meat and hide to take back to camp, but was jumped by a wolf in the process. That was the end of me.

File automatically erased, stats logged, new file started. Random starting point, random item placements, off we go again.

Every attempt a story to tell.

Brilliant.

Steam guide for people serious about surviving, there's a wealth of stuff in there:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=314178187
  • My flat mate plays this quite a lot, he's a big fan of it and did a nice wee video for it. Haven't got around to it myself, but it looks lovely and my pal makes Chalice look like Empire when it comes to criticism.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    This a game, or DS' Twitch feed?
  • God damn you, Chalice (and Goobs).  This has been bought.  I was mildly curious before but a couple of interesting posts and now a Chalice thread has sealed the deal.  I'll be trying it in a bit.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Kinell Webbo, your pile of shame is bigger than mine!
  • Not so much a pile as more of a seething mass.  I am resigned to never scratching the bottom.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's fine but very unfinished. Really needs the story mode that's been promised for years.
  • How much does it cost on Bone?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    From the Xbox thread:

On one occasion I was on the way back to base after a long trip and saw a bear in the distance. I decided that I could take it down and would have time to skin it before nightfall and could get it back to my base and make some amazing clothes out of it. Two rifle shots two the head later and it was on top of me ripping me to shreds. Think The Revenant and your there. It left me half dead and bleeding out. I managed to crawl back to a nearby cabin, patch myself up as best I could. Eat the last of my food and get some sleep and hope I had recovered enough in the morning to get back home.

I woke in the morning having recovered a bit of health, but I was now starving, I had no food and my clothes had bee ripped to bits so offered no protection against the cold. To top it off when I went out side it was blowing a gale and I was loosing warmth rapidly. There was no way I could make it back. Then, in the distance, half obscured by the blizzard I saw a black shape on the ice. The bear that had half killed me was lying dead from its wounds. I hobbled over to it and managed to brave the cold long enough to get some meat off it before heading back to the empty cabin to try to recuperate some more. The blizzard raged all day.

The next day started off in much the same fashion but luckily the blizzard died down to be replaced with a eerie fog. I took my chances and slowly made the long trek back to base, where I had a stash of food, water, fire wood and medicine. I staggered in through the door with barley any health left. Threw some antibiotics and painkillers down my neck, started the fire, had some water and meat and then slept for almost 3 days, just waking to eat and drink, and occasionally venture outside to collect firewood.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Thank god for Steam sales. I think it cost me about 5€.
  • They should have cashed in with some Revenant DLC, and nicked that Rolling Stone review opener: WARNING GAME PUSSIES, THIS ISN'T FOR YOU
  • It's on a Steam sale right now for £8. Or £5 on g2a for a Steam key.
  • Can someone do me a solid and link to a quick youtube clip of gameplay? Can watch embeds at work.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • I like it. I've died though. Spawned near some huts, took some supplies, pushed on to an outpost and liked the look of it for a base. Started to get thirsty though so drank what pop I had, the green tea in my possession needed water and I am told I can melt snow on the stove also present to make water. However, despite being surrounded by the white stuff, I am not getting a context action to scoop it up, and the plethora of receptacles I have passed also offer no contextual action. Nearing dehydration now after a night in the outpost, and not to be outdone, in true Yorkshire spirit I set off again to conquer this thirst. I spy a wolf, no problem, I'll shiv the White Fang bastard with this hunting knife I discovered in the outpost. Can't equip weapon, it's a hunting knife for Christ's sake. Wolf is very close now and leaps for me, game says I have a 40% chance of success if I use the hunting knife it won't, and still won't let me equip, as the savaging I get leaves me 17% from death. I stumble the last few icey paces, and expire on top of a partially frozen deer. Go me.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    If you light a fire it gives you the option to melt snow for water.
  • I lit a stove and there was a melt snow option, but it was a case of getting the snow to the stove. I'll look again.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It should just be melt snow. You don't need to collect it.
  • Cheers g. Tempted.
  • There's a story mode allegedly coming in the spring too...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    I lit a stove and there was a melt snow option, but it was a case of getting the snow to the stove. I'll look again.

Yar, it should just let you choose how much you want to melt, bearing in mind that it uses up fire fuel.
  • Aye sussed it, missed the fact that you push right on the d-pad.

Second time out is going much better.  Spawned near the ice lake, scavenged a few ice huts, a few larger huts on the shore, Dave's cave and then found the two storey tourist cabin.  Established a solid base and then found a derailed train and the warmth of a 303 rifle.  Bit light on clothing so the chill is a bother.  Quite surprised I have managed two days in just a chunky sweater, jeans, bobble hat and boots.

Very enjoyable though.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    You'll need to get yourself some animal hides so you can make some decent clothes.  There is a nice hunting spot near that cabin. Plenty of rabbits and deer, but you also get what comes with them.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Chalices story made me buy it.

I'm loving it but might stay out of here as I want to work it all out myself.

Great stuff though and not at all statty g.
  • Tempting.
  • Fucks sake, not out on aus store. Not even searchable. It's 2016 ms.
  • Why don't you purchase it from the Russian store (or similar)? Be much cheaper too.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I had to put the fire on last night while I was playing because the game was making me feel cold.

Spawned in the same place as Webbo. Got a decent supply of canned food but firewood is becoming an issue and I have no hatchet to start sacrificing shelves.

Tried to go for an exlore but where I wanted to go was teeming with wolves and they didn't look friendly. Will wait for them to bugger off. Might do a spot of fishing while I wait.

Didn't want to go to bed last night, I need to know where my adventure will take me next.

My only criticism is the fact you have to access the menu they LT to see your temp, hunger, thirst etc. Would have been nicer to be a button press and have it appear for a few seconds. Just a very minor niggle.
  • Played again last night. It's so good. It's very tempting to wander off in search of new locales when really most places have all you need. You can end up swiftly getting into trouble if you don't plan your trip.

I recommend playing on stalker difficulty (hardest) it's a lot different and harsh but you can get your hands on some good gear early on. Beware venturing anywhere though!!

Really hope they add in a friends list leaderboard soon. It's a no brainer.

The following steam guide is amazing. There are things in there I had no idea you could do. Really handy if you're serious about surviving for a long while. I'll pop it in the OP too:

Steam Guide

‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!