Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • It's like making a chicken sandwich that you have to eat at exactly 1pm because you signed a contract saying you would do it then but forgetting to turn the oven on until 12:54pm.

Perfect analogy on every level.

• Immigration is just a justification to get the support and mandate from the people. The real reason why the conservative 1% financed and backs Brexit is pure and utter greed. See the housing scenario example above.

They don't give a shit about the 90% once the depression well and truly hits. And it will hit if Brexit proceeds on current terms. Hard.

It's all about creating those laissez-faire market conditions. Whatever means necessary.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Hunk, i dont see how its financed and instigated by the 1% elite, when continued EU membership would be in the interests of the 1%.

Brexit is happens soley on the grounds of immigration. That was the decisive factor for leavers and the leave campaign. Unfortunately the Remains did an awful job of countering their arguments.

Right, a few things to clear up.
    The 1% elite is to me the millionaire/billionaire class in society. I don't consider the average politician to be of this class as they're just well off civil servants. I'd say they're more middle class, the 9% sandwiched between the 1% and the 90%, the people.

The Brexit leave campaign was effectively financed by millionaires and billionaires like Banks, Mercer, Bannon and Murdoch. They paid for the propaganda machine which includes CA, SCL, the FB strategy and the Murdoch media empire. And that's not even including shady Russian oligarch (again: billionaire) support....

Above leave campaigns also force fed the public the immigration story as the root of all evil. Which the people happily gobbled down. It was easy to convince them Leave was the way forward. Thus mandate obtained and Brexit secured. The leave 1% is terrified of losing this mandate hence the fierce objection to a second referendum.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bank’s money appears to have come from Putin.

But yes, there are 1% on both sides trying to defend their interests.

Edited: I wrote Bannon instead of Banks.
  • Well, there ye go.
    Circle is round.
  • Aye, had remain won there'd be a lot of leavers claiming the Liberal 1% had bankrolled it to protect their interests.

Maybe the 1% aren't a homogeneous group who get together occasionally to work out how to run the world.

Maybe the wanker who runs Weatherspoons and James Dyson and Branson and Rowling are individuals.
  • The 1% are definitely not a homogenous group. There's a lot of infighting amongst them on how to proceed to best 'rule' the world....

The conservative camp is the one with the most contempt for democracy and rule of law though. They'll rig the system if they feel it needs rigging. They have the funds and knowledge of legal loopoles to put their money where their mouth is too.
  • It’s not about a 1% with all the money (although that certainly exists, as a group of individuals with differing interests). It’s about a 1% with all the power. And their interests tend to align – because the main one is ‘keep that power at all costs’.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It might be worth switching to the BBC News Channel in about 5 minutes. Jason Hunter will be on for a debate and no doubt laying waste to whichever poor Brexiteer is lines up to debate him.
  • Shit did I miss it!?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Apparently it’s starting any minute.
  • YISS.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    This is a weird new fanboyism that middle-age has thrust upon us.
  • I just like watching brexiteers getting shit on tbh.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Did he bash the poor unfortunate?
  • IT'S ON! LETS GO NAYSAYING REMAIN GUYS!
  • YEAH BOI WE ALREADY ON PROJECT CATASTROPHE BEING USED!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Did he bash the poor unfortunate?

The guy buggered off before he could speak. ‘Technical issues’ pah.

It’s still on now BTW.
  • Man like Tony is on the court here putting on a show, this some Space Jam ish.
  • Look, just because this guy has experiance of negotiating trade deals doesnt mean we should listen to him. Wrve had enough of experts.

Stop talking Britain down.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Brexiteer shambles.
  • Getting a taste of brexit internet here.
  • Tony looks like Harry Enfield doing a character.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think I need a post-intellectual cigarette now.
  • Preaching to the converted, but I think Nick Harkaway (decent British sci-fi author, if you weren’t aware of him) has summarised Brexit really well on Twitter today. I’m copy/pasting because I loathe Twitter ‘threads’.
    Reminder: Brexit is about the dismantling of our working and environmental protections, and the sale of the NHS - and us, its customers - to the US healthcare industry. It is about the auction of British people to the global financial-industrial machine.

It was sold on the back of a fear of immigration. It will be delivered to the oligarch class as an Easter present. Your health, your education, your air quality, your infrastructure, your rights of redress and indeed your rights under the ECHR are the cost.

Brexit is about the import of at-will employment and the explosion of zero hours contracts. It is about low taxes and low levels of state support, vanishing infrastructure, tougher restrictions on unionisation.

The price of those famous trade deals with other nations will be a stripping away of "red tape" - that's to say standards and protections - and the commodification of users of our public services: education, healthcare, utilities...

It won't even mean less immigration - not that that's desirable - because we need immigration to make our economy work, and because we'll have to do deals on immigration to get access to markets like India.

The entire Brexit agenda has come apart. I cannot think of one single thing - not fishing, not farming, not public services, not trade, not the finance industry - that is going to see the promised benefits.

Its entire function is as the trigger of a Conservative right wing fire sale, trading away the last of the things Margaret Thatcher didn't flog off. The only profits will be made in the volatility of international financial trading.

It is a thing born of electoral fraud and blatant contempt for reality which persists only because the bombastic drivel of Farage and Johnson impresses local constituency associations and terrifies MPs.

He went on, but that was the bulk of it.
  • He's not wrong either.
    Brexit will be a free for all for the conservative 1% but also for some of the aspiring conservative 9% (middle class looking up in awe at the millionaire/billionaire class and secretly want to join them) enabling Brexit.
    Looking at you Farage/Jonson/Rees-Mogg.

To them it won't matter if the UK crashes out of the EU. In fact, many of them are counting on it. Perfect market conditions for a laissez-faire economy to make a killing. Only the strong will survive. Sadly that won't be the average Joe on the street.
  • We all know this, but some put it into words better. *shrug*
  • Some people still think it's about immigration.
    Something to ponder about.
  • As long as you can buy sovereign rings, it's all worth it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!