Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • Because you said I've read it wrong without saying why, and you're the lawyer so should be able to understand legal text better than me?

My reading is that the EU, and not any individual EU state can create legislation in regards to the Customs Union.

I don't see what that has to do with Corbyn talking about having British input on trade deals.
  • 100% yes I will would. I hope I would even if it looks like it will lose by loads eg Fitzpatrick says he is mulling it over, I hope he doesn't get cold feet
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • monkey wrote:
    Gonzo, if you were a Labour MP, would you defy Corbyn to vote for the deal?

I was responding to this. For me it is a question of national interest.
  • Because you said I've read it wrong without saying why, and you're the lawyer so should be able to understand legal text better than me?

My reading is that the EU, and not any individual EU state can create legislation in regards to the Customs Union.

I don't see what that has to do with Corbyn talking about having British input on trade deals.

What does having "input" mean?

• monkey wrote:

I should make clear, this deal is just over THE TRANSITION
  • Because you said I've read it wrong without saying why, and you're the lawyer so should be able to lunderstand legal text better than me?

He doesnt clarify. He doesnt suggest we're signing our own deals though.
  • monkey wrote:

By trying to fuck the Tories up with Brexit and replace with Lab, isn’t Corbyn also working in national interest? You’re condemning the country to limping on for four more years with those clowns.
  • I just can't take the risk of no deal, those clowns are done anyway. The nation will never forgive the party.

Edit -

Just needs some distance

I personally think the Tories will split. Given the state of the membership, I think a centr party made up of the umunas, Kendall's and lib Dems is more likely than sending reesmogg to the ukips
  • Because you said I've read it wrong without saying why, and you're the lawyer so should be able to lunderstand legal text better than me?

He doesnt clarify. He doesnt suggest we're signing our own deals though.

I just don't know what to tell you mate. The EU does the CU. It negotiates trade deals. The only say you get over them is as a member of the council of Europe /ministers and representation on the commission. If by say we mean "please don't sign TTIP or we will leave again" then I accept art 3 will be irrelevant whent the time comes.
  • Tbf it might be good for first time buyers.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Tbf it might be good for wanna be landlords.
    cynical FTFY
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yeah but the current ones should be crying, which sort of balances it out a bit
  • Tbf it might be good for first time buyers.

Only if you have capital. If banks retrench lending and require a 30% deposit, while the cost of living skyrockets, not many will benefit from a reduction in house prices.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    FWIW, a massive house price crash would probably be the single thing that would improve my life the most, but considering how much damage it would do to the rest of the country, I’m not exactly agitating for it.
  • How much capital do you have lying around for a deposit? Would you be able to put up 30k for a 200k purchase price? That's just 15%.

I'm for a steady decline in house prices in real terms. The way you achieve it is tax speculation (ie overseas buyers), tax corporate ownership of residential properties (ie money launderers and tax evaders), rent control of private residences and BUILD A SHIT TONNE OF SOCIAL HOUSING.

Normalis renting with security of tenure. Buying isn't necessary
  • Owning your own home is a peculiarly British thing though, isn’t it? Part of the national identity is wanting to own bricks and mortar.
    Spoiler:
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yep, and secure tenancies are not normal in the UK, or at least not in my adult life.

Right now, the issue for me isn’t the deposit so much as the rest of the mortgage. I’m currently earning around the average wage in London which is nowhere near enough to even consider buying on my own.
  • The only way most people will afford mortgage deposits once the banks revert to demanding 20%, 30%, etc is with inheritances (or by selling inherited property, which is practically the same thing). The boomer legacy.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yep, I should be sorted when I inherit, which is likely to be about when I retire.
  • poprock wrote:
    The only way most people will afford mortgage deposits once the banks revert to demanding 20%, 30%, etc is with inheritances (or by selling inherited property, which is practically the same thing). The boomer legacy.

I dunno. A lower middle class income can get you there if you save ALOT. My mate was earning about £30K, maybe a little under, and he scraped like a mofo for 3 yrs and managed to to save about 40K (although he doesn't live in that London). Said he really enjoyed it too and still goes on about it now. Started brewing his own beer, not eating shite, walking more, learning how to fix things etc. 

I realise the above is something only a middle class person would post but maybe, just maybe, th....OH MY GOD I'M TURNING INTO MY DAD.
  • My concern over a large scale housing crash is the young people who signed up to 95% mortgages.
    5% isn't much of a buffer and the first few years you mostly pay interest.
    In fact, whack the interest on, plus fees and most of that deposit is eaten up again.

It wouldn't take much for those folk to end up in negative equity. If people then lose their jobs things get really bad really fast.
    Could end up with a generation who got fucked trying to get on the ladder then fucked again having the house repossessed AND owing money still.

Likewise those with Help to Buy loans. These could be time bombs that never get paid back, like large student loans.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    The only way most people will afford mortgage deposits once the banks revert to demanding 20%, 30%, etc is with inheritances (or by selling inherited property, which is practically the same thing). The boomer legacy.

I dunno. A lower middle class income can get you there if you save ALOT. My mate was earning about £30K, maybe a little under, and he scraped like a mofo for 3 yrs and managed to to save about 40K (although he doesn't live in that London). Said he really enjoyed it too and still goes on about it now. Started brewing his own beer, not eating shite, walking more, learning how to fix things etc. 

I realise the above is something only a middle class person would post but maybe, just maybe, th....OH MY GOD I'M TURNING INTO MY DAD.

In that London, I reckon I’ll need a deposit in 6 figures to be able to do the same.
  • OH MY GOD I'M TURNING INTO MY DAD.

What’s blowing my mind is that ‘lower middle class income’ is now about £30k. I mean, you’re right. It is. But fucking hell … nuggets of info like that really bring home the reality of inflation and ageing. And just how old I am now.

Sidenote … Only someone starting from a fairly safe secure position can save, even like that. It’s taken me until my 40s to drag myself out of debt and reach a clean slate to start from. And I’ve always been relatively privileged, never in any sort of poverty.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    My concern over a large scale housing crash is the young people who signed up to 95% mortgages.
    5% isn't much of a buffer and the first few years you mostly pay interest.
    In fact, whack the interest on, plus fees and most of that deposit is eaten up again.

It wouldn't take much for those folk to end up in negative equity. If people then lose their jobs things get really bad really fast.
    Could end up with a generation who got fucked trying to get on the ladder then fucked again having the house repossessed AND owing money still.

Likewise those with Help to Buy loans. These could be time bombs that never get paid back, like large student loans.

They will all be in negative equity. When they lose their jobs and are forced to sell, that will precipitate /exacerbate a crash. Banks's security will be substantially less than anticipated. Depending on how confident you are about their capitalisation, they will either become very conservative with lending, or they will fail.

Which is why I posed the question to Yoss. Say that 300k 1 bed in London goes down to 200k - a massive price reduction (particularly given that the pound will have massively devalued on top). You earn 35k and can get, say 4 times that lent. Have you got the remaining 30k to put it up, if you are fortunate in still having a job?

A price crash is a false comfort
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Yep, and secure tenancies are not normal in the UK, or at least not in my adult life..

Vote for a party, and support a leadership of that party, that supports rent and tenancy reform and social housing.

• I would welcome a massive economic tanking tbh if it didn't result in a bigger inequality gap after the clear up, which it always does. We'll be lucky to escape a 5 degree warm up as it is and the only thing that's going to stop it now is some catastrophic economic meltdown. Not that a meltdown won't happen because of the warming anyway, but it'd be nice to see some bankers getting lynched before that happens.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Yep, and secure tenancies are not normal in the UK, or at least not in my adult life..

Vote for a party, and support a leadership of that party, that supports rent and tenancy reform and social housing.

I do vote for such a party, despite my misgivings about its leadership.
  • I will never be able to afford a home and im fucking bitter about it. There isnt a single day that passes without me thinking about it, usually multiple times per day. I will spend the rest of my life in shared accommodation, and likely never be in a position to afford a family. Any system which cant afford those things to people in the lower wage brackets is fundamentally broken. The fact these things are off limits really fucks with my sanity; it cripples my sense of self-worth.
  • poprock wrote:
    Sidenote … Only someone starting from a fairly safe secure position can save, even like that. It’s taken me until my 40s to drag myself out of debt and reach a clean slate to start from. And I’ve always been relatively privileged, never in any sort of poverty.

Well he didn't have any student debt, but he wasn't living at home either. He just went full metal crazy save. Don't think his job was that time-demanding either at the time.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

I do vote for such a party, despite my misgivings about its leadership.

Clearly the answer is to get a leader who is going to go for "more of the same" or "here is an interest free loan for five years after which you will get clobbered, on top of your student debt which you are still paying off, barely eating into the principal because we charge you 6.5% interest.

I know I seem to be having a go, but we are grown ups here. Policy matters. We should see the woods for the trees. The mcDonbell / Corbo wing of labour is the only one which aims to make policy which will help the vast majority of you.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!