Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Surely if half exports go to the EU there is something the UK sells that the countries in the EU want.
    Not necessarily anything that couldn't be bought elsewhere. I remember reading a figure years ago that Britain ships almost exactly the same number of toilet rolls to Germany as Germany ships to Britain.

Norway's alright, it's got loads of oil which is something other countries need but can't produce themselves.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    You're thinking about the maths wrong. 50% of exports doesnt equal 50% of imports.
    Quoted for page turn.
  • So you're saying that half of all UK exports go to the EU?
    Yes, about 15% of the UKs economy. The EU could theoretically stop buying everything the UK sells, they'd do the UK out of £25bn. In return, the UK wouldn't be able to do anything apart from do the EU out of £35bn by not buying from them.

Neither of these things are going to happen, but I don't think the UK is in a bad negotiating position.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    But what is that as a % of GDP for each side? Who has the most to loose? And as such has the weaker bargaining position?
  • Surely if half exports go to the EU there is something the UK sells that the countries in the EU want.
    There is but it isn't necessarily unique to the UK.
    If you look at automotive manufacturing the UK have a really strong position but that is only because companies have chosen the UK to setup their European plants.
    There is nothing unique about the UK, we just negotiated the best deal. If we leave the EU those deals would be much harder to negotiate and be attractive to the companies looking to invest.

There is no reason to pick Sheffield over whatever Germany's Sheffield is other than money.
  • I posted many pages back a detailed analysis of trade between EU and UK. It showed that the EU obviously needs to set up a trade agreement with the UK if we leave.

However there is no reason to believe that deal would be any better for the Uk than similar deals for the US, Japan, China etc who are also very significant export markets for EU.

That deal would be fine but would not be as easy and cheap as the current deal. I also believe it would be in the EU's interests to reduce importance of UK as export market and especially import market. We would suffer as a result.

If we wanted similar deal to now we would have to accept much of EU's current regulations, like Norway.

Again I ask: what is the point of this?
  • But what is that as a % of GDP for each side? Who has the most to loose? And as such has the weaker bargaining position?
    I don't have the figures for that. It's a minefield out there. £35bn would be a smaller chunk of the total EU economy (minus UK) than the £25bn part of the UK economy, but I have no idea about how much other economies rely on their exports & especially exports to UK.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    If we wanted similar deal to now we would have to accept much of EU's current regulations, like Norway. Again I ask: what is the point of this?
    Because the UK would only have to apply those regulations to products traded with the EU and not the other 70% of internal UK trade or the other 15% traded with other countries.

Plus the billions it costs to be a member.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Would it be feasible to apply EU regulations to 70% of the apples a farmer grows?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    And are the regulations necessarily a bad thing?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    And who is to say we wouldn't implement similar, the same or more restrictive regulations should we leave?
  • They are in some cases. There was a guy on the radio saying he can't compete overseas because he has to comply with their regulations as well as EU regulations that they don't care about.
  • And who is to say we wouldn't implement similar, the same or more restrictive regulations should we leave?
    Who's to say the UK wouldn't keep paying billions to the EU? Who's to say the UK wouldn't relax its border controls even more?

It's more that there would be a choice.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    And who is to say we wouldn't implement similar, the same or more restrictive regulations should we leave?
    Who's to say the UK wouldn't keep paying billions to the EU? Who's to say the UK wouldn't relax its border controls even more?
    Absolutely every single person who is campaigning for Brexit. The people who would take charge of the Tories, and therefore Brexit negotiations. So let's not pretend this is a referendum about degrees of choice. There are only two discrete options.
  • Actually we probably would end up still paying loads of money to the EU for less of a return.
  • monkey wrote:
    IanHamlett wrote:
    Absolutely every single person who is campaigning for Brexit. The people who would take charge of the Tories, and therefore Brexit negotiations. So let's not pretend this is a referendum about degrees of choice. There are only two discrete options.
    I'm not. I was pointing out the problem with that line of arguing. I'll be voting to stay and I don't like the tories, but wanting to stay in EU because they limit the ability of the democratically elected government, is an awful reason.
  • Who the fuck would vote to leave seriously? All we have left as a major part of our economy is our much vaunted centre of economics that parliamentary wankers like to bleat on about. 

The same financial services industry that helped cause the 2008 crash? The same financial services industry caught fixing inter bank lending rates? The same financial services industry funneling fucking billions of highly suspicious pounds from places like Russia and China through Panama for reinvestment into the London property market?

Oh aye, we'll be all set on our own with these cunts as the largest contributing factor to our GDP.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • @hambo - In principle, you're right of course. In practice, misinformation dictates voting, democratically elected politicians conspire with hedge fund managers and media tycoons to work out the lies they'll tell to the people they represent, huge policy changes get put through because a few hundred millionaires want it, etc etc blah blah blah.

Anything that slows the grinding of the gears of that rotten, undemocratic process, even if it's a slightly more diluted version of the same thing, gets my vote.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    I'm none the wiser.

We could each list our name, favourite colour, and ‘yes’ or ‘no’.

ESCAPE
    HOT PINK
    STAY
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Beano
    Kelly Green
    No, or Yes depending which = stay
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Skerret
    Vantablack
    Stay
  • Skerret
    99% Madagascan Cacao
    Stay
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Skerret
    Skerit
    Skret
  • I would like to punch whoever coined "brexit" and also everyone that has used the word. Fucktards.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!