Coffee and Tea
  • I usually have two or three coffees, usually nothing past 3/4 in the afternoon. I try to make it just black coffee too, although I'll have a latte or similar maybe once a week.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • If I'm at my dads, I have hunners. At home I have 1-3 half cups of aeropress a day, depending on how much Ev makes.
  • Coffee in the morning before work, a wee latte outta Waterstones at lunch. Will drink a few mugs on days off.

Got a cafetiere and loads of Gordon St ground for Xmas. Starting to get too used to the bitterness and now using it less and less. Want to try this aeropress shiz. Any tips?
  • Yeah, buy an aeropress. It's impossible to fuck up.
  • Right on, brother.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I've completely given up coffee, including decaf. Turns out I didn't need it to stay awake at all.
  • I've gone from drinking 6ltrs of Coke a day to 10 cups of coffee and probably around a 500ml of Coke but I don't have a caffeine addiction...
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • You're all going to die early.
  • One coffee per day for me, in the morning.

I’m still likely to die early, but not because of caffeine.
  • Pop "Excess Elsewhere" Rock
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm on decaf now because coffee sets off me anxiety

*awaits tempy review*
  • Hey you want the same great taste of coffee without all the bastard part that makes you have a headache or want to curl up inside yourself then that is fine
  • regmcfly wrote:
    *anxiously awaits tempy review*

Edit: tempy too quick!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Seems like a good time to highlight this classic:

CaffeinatedSpider.jpg

Caffeinated_spiderwebs.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effect_of_psychoactive_drugs_on_animals
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Hey you want the same great taste of coffee without all the bastard part that makes you have a headache or want to curl up inside yourself then that is fine

That will do me fine
  • I usually limit myself to 2 coffees a day and never after 3pm.
    As I limit the number of drinks I figure the strength can be stupidly strong so I'll have a double or triple shot black coffee to kickstart my heart
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Just watch out with some decaf, can be made pretty unhealthily.

Barley cup's good, although obviously tastes different. But an arguably healthier substitute.

Matcha and green tea can give you some boost without the negative affects that coffee can have (largely attributed to theanine)
    And lots of health benefits.

With coffee's there's research for (helping prevent dementia) and against (anxiety, palpitations, hypertension, infrequent use linked with higher mortality - perhaps people falling asleep when driving/operating heavy machinery)

With green tea etc. it's overwhelmingly positive.
    Hi Hosting - Fast and Reliable UK Web Hosting
    We host a number of bears and badgers, get in touch if want a website too!
  • That video was great.
    Hi Hosting - Fast and Reliable UK Web Hosting
    We host a number of bears and badgers, get in touch if want a website too!
  • @Goobs top lols!
  • I usually limit myself to 2 coffees a day and never after 3pm.
    As I limit the number of drinks I figure the strength can be stupidly strong so I'll have a double or triple shot black coffee to kickstart my heart

My man.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Facewon wrote:
    I usually limit myself to 2 coffees a day and never after 3pm.

My man.

Fist bump
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • IMAG0237.jpg
    $400 voucher for coaching season of rep. New coffee machine bought. 

Highly recommend Sunbeam for the cheaper machines. This retails at Aus$260 and was 20% off. 

Plugged in, and made 2 coffees pretty much perfectly straight away. Better design than the previous sunbeam we had and is much more solid than the delonghis we were looking at for the same price.

Milk jug is a touch small, is the only gripe.
  • That's quite cute Face. 
    I had my original Gaggia Classic fully serviced (one of the UK's top pro coffee machine service companies is a ten minute drive away. Result!) recently, after I came back from a month in America and it had stopped pumping anything through the brew head at all. Totally gummed up.
    Anyway, £50 quid well spent and it's like having a brand new machine. I really should have it done every couple of years, but I'm a lazy sod and that's only the 2nd time in ten years of ownership.
    The OG classic is just amazing. All the parts are serviceable, whereas the current post 2015 versions look the same, but are now cheaply manufactured in eastern Europe, and are a bitch to get parts for apparently. Still allegedly makes good coffee, but couldn't recommend the current models as a long term investment, and they don't come with the pro Gaggia accessories the old models come with either.
    Treated myself to a new heavy stainless steel tamper, which is much better than the shit plastic one that came with mine (the only poor part of the OG package) and it's weight does make a hell of a difference.
    I have a couple of different group handles that my service guy has sold me over the years. A bottomless one (no spouts, just the naked basket) which I've never really got on with, as it's messy if you're using a small cup, and one with just a single spout (rather than the standard dual-spout all machines come with) which is just brilliant.

So yeah, I'm back in coffee heaven for the foreseeable future.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Above sunbeam still boss. Picked up a new milk jug for when I need to do 2 coffees at once and it still wins. Amazing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    We bought a Nespresso machine a while back and it has sat gathering dust.

As part of my weight loss activity I started drinking a coffee at night with a square or two of dark chocolate and found myself enjoying it greatly.

I have worked through the capsules that came with the machine and some are now appearing on the high street (you usually have to buy the official ones off the web).

Now I will probably order a batch off the web but Wifey has also bought me a couple of bags of coffee beans.

I have a small grinder (I actually got it for spices but it is actually a coffee grinder with a spice attachment). I also have a cafetière (is that what it is called? A glass jug with a plunger) that has been kicking about the house for years.

I've tried making it a couple of times with mixed results - tonight's effort wasn't bad - using a Christmas Mix from Starbucks. 

Need newbie help about quantities etc. Have read one tablespoon of beans per cup - is that right? How long do I leave it brewing? Any info/tips welcome. What I have made isn't very dark looking....maybe that depends on the beans but I suspect I'm maybe not brewing it long enough?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wifey also bought a box or two of Espresso capsules from Starbucks that go into the Nespresso machine. It makes a splendid beverage by the way - meant to say that.

Of course that meant I had to buy myself some little espresso glasses - little double skinned ones.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Cafetiere guide:

1 tablespoon of grounds per cup.
    Grind the beans as coarse as you can.
    When you put the water in just give the grounds a tiny gentle stir or push the plunger down 1/4" to make sure all the grounds are wet.
    Brew for 6 minutes.
    Press plunger down slowly when you do it.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Edit - 6 mins only for coarse grind.

If you can't get it coarse try 3-4 mins brewing time.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • My 2 cents, find a good local roaster/cafe that has beans for different purposes.

Nespresso can suck my cock.

Stove top is ok, but just using Starbucks or stuff designed for espresso will give you a pretty harsh/unpleasant coffee, IMO.

if you're using a Stovetop, get an aeropress, and get some single origin or a recommendation from the barista.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!