Coffee and Tea
  • Aye, I don’t concern myself with weight, time, etc. I know that three scoops of fresh beans into the grinder is the right amount for my pourover. I leave the timer set to 20s which is more than enough.

The wee box for grounds is a bit of a faff, right enough. I’m just used to it now.
  • After G's rec for Lavazza Espresso, can someone recommend a pre ground strong coffee?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Lavazza gold

41qiBpXLnHL._AC_SY400_.jpg
  • When we move into our new home once it’s refurbished, I’d like to get myself a good coffee machine and some beans. Will ask for recommendations nearer the time - in around 6 months probably! In the meantime, I do coffee bags. Had some instant recently cos I needed a quick one and omg it was disgusting!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Elf, the Lavazza espresso instant is quick and actually quite nice
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Elf, the Lavazza espresso instant is quick and actually quite nice

Ah ok. May try that for the off occasion for quick coffee. Thanks.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • If I wasn't doing machine, I'd swear by pour over now. As easy as instant, infinite times better.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I have a 1 cup caffetier, which is quick and easy. I also have a machine that grinds beans and makes filter coffee but it is a faff to clean so don't really use it.
  • Nice advertising though.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Absolute wank. I suppose they serve their wine in coffee cups?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I drink more coffee than tea these days.

Never thought that would happen.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    $64 cup of coffee (yep one cup) at Queens in central london for anyone?

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/expensive-coffee-london-gbr-scli-intl/index.html

They can shove it up their hole.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I feel like there is a point in any food or drink where there are diminishing returns on taste but the premium options become more heavily surrounded with experience, setting and service.

I bet that 64 dollar coffee offers a significantly better experience than popping into Costa regardless of the coffee in the cup.

Personally for me coffee is ingrained in the German coffee and cake experience beacuse my grandparents adopted a Germanic lifestyle after living there for years. A childhood filled with trips to Bavaria and despite not drinking coffee the smell is enriching and I had my fill of cake.
    Coffee for me is being at their house on a winter evening, in their small living room full of german furniture and ornaments, Champions League on the TV, those heart shaped ginger, jam, dark choc kuchen and black filter coffee.
  • This is a mayfair cafe/wine bar, selling coffee made of super ultra mega award winning omg high score beans which themselves sell for £2000 a kilo. A £50 cup of super fancy coffee, prepared as it is, in limited quantities available just seems like expensive wine or whisky, but for people who like coffee. 

You fucking boomers.

Smiley winky face, obvs.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That $64 coffee is made from beans from a mad auction of a batch of Ethiopian beans I'm led to believe? 

I take solace in that it was under the auspices of the FairTrade deal - so the farmers gets a pile of money for it. So if some idiot wants to pay that then go for it.  People who don't drink have to be able to piss money away on something after all.

I like an espresso in the morning I make with my Nespresso machine and then a cup of coffee after dinner - I usually make that from ground in a French press or whatever its called. That's when dark chocolate (90%+), or some biscuits (Ikea spiced ginger thins if possible) come into play. If there's good chocolate cake on the go then that will be appreciated.  :)
  • Yeah I agree, people are free to spend their money on whatever, but I'm always interested in the reactions these types of stories generate because they're so varied. 

For instance, people tend to acknowledge that for something like kobe beef, or some high end tuna at a sushi place, or a vintage wine, that although the price is high, you are paying for some combination of craft, time and scarcity. Even though you can obtain all of those items at a much cheaper level if the primary motivator when you want them is "Where can I get half decent, affordable, X"

For me personally, I don't think a crop of coffee, single origin from one farm, grown over a season, which then wins an international award is any different to the above examples - time, craft and scarcity are all there. If a news outlet runs an article saying "$64 dollar coffee in this cafe" as a headline, people's perceptions immediately jump to a $64 cup of costa though.

It's interesting, I wonder what it is about foods which have an established "connoisseur" part of their industry which differs how people view those items compared to others. Wait, I think I just answered my own question there.

Edit: Sorry Davy, completely forgot to address the other parts of your post, because hilariously I have not drunk enough coffee to start functioning yet this morning, at this late hour! The coffee that's being sold is from auction and its the auction they hold for the winners of the Cup of Excellence competition, which is the fancy pants, big coffee growers competition, whoever wins that, that's like the best coffee that year. As it's a full blown fair trade thing the growers do receive a majority percentage of the auction price back. As for my own coffee habits, I am very lazy, so I have a little delonghi burr grinder to grind up beans (I don't buy fancy beans I am a shit) and then use a french press to make coffee because they are reasonably minimal cleaning and maintenance as I use it 2/3 times a day so it only needs a good rinse and then a wash at the end of the day. People don't like french presses because the cleanup is a ess, but I think that comes from using the finer ground coffee from shops, using a coarse grind, there's very little coffee solids and no sludge on the press, a good rinse under the tap usually cleans the whole arrangement out in one piece for me.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. Yeah - what's the point of having rich people (or even those with a modest discretionary spend) if folk can't make money off them tempting them with high end stuff?  I'd rather the rich spent a bit more though instead of sitting on it.

I have a small grinder but I don't think I drink enough to warrant buying a lot of beans. I have an espresso stove top too but I haven't used that in ages. The machine is just too damn handy and I wasn't able to make something that tasted better than it. Will probably go back to it at some point though to have another go as I like fiddling.
  • Recommended decaff instant coffee for missus? She like lavazza intenso instant normal coffee. They dont do an instant decaff. Has to be instant decaff.
  • Mum swears by Aldis' effort.

Big big big thumbs up for M&S' single origin ground coffees btw folks. The Peru and Sumatra ones are just lovely in the 'press. Fantastic stuff for work breaks.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've become a coffee snob. I can't do instant anymore. Decaff instant is an extra level of nope.
  • Snagged a clearance stove moka pot in Aldis for £3. If anyone can recommend a decent tutorial vid that would be lovely. To my embarrassment I've never used one before.
  • Don’t put it in the dishwasher. Don’t grind too finely. Don’t fill the water past the valve thing. Don’t use a gas ring that’s bigger than the base. Rest is obvious, go crazy!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Also, if you watch it brewing it takes ages, if you don’t watch it brewing it’s almost instant and will burn your kitchen down.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • ^^^
    That’s the golden rule which nobody tells you, right there.

Put hot water from the kettle into your mocha pot. Then put it on the stove. Don’t fill your moka pot from the tap.
  • Perfect. Got one of those laa-di-dah quick boil kettle/taps button press thingy, which spits out very hot water, just a little off kettle boiled temp. Will experiment soon.

Cheers chaps.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There are YT videos of using stove tops - how I learned.

I fill the base with water from the kettle just up to the little valve.

Coffee levelled into the cup that slots onto the base.

Then I screw on the top. Watch - the bottom will be very hot now.

On the ring and when the coffee starts bubbling up I take it off the heat. This happens pretty quickly.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!