I called it, I fluffed it: A thread of Shame and Bragging.
  • A list thread, then, but one with a difference...

The premise is as follows: Pick 2 games, one of each will fall into the following categories.

1. I called it - a game that seemingly no-one else, to your recollection, rated in anyway that you thought had potential (see g.man with Dying Light, basically). This is, in other words, the "I told you so" pick.

2. I fluffed it - a game you boldly predicted to be a hidden gem or surprise hit, that turned out to be as bad, if not worse, then everyone predicted.

I'll start.

I called it: The Witcher

Playing The Witcher 3 has caused me to think back to my first exposure to the original game - as a preview in Edge magazine or something. I remember (though I may be mistaken) saying on the old forum that I saw something in those pics and text and I also remember people saying it looked like average shite (maybe Gonzo or Brooks, I dunno).

And that first game was both brilliant and flawed but definitely not average. In terms of creating the feeling of a living world, I remember only the original Gothic really standing up to it.

The combat was wonky, the shagging was crudely done, and it was buggy as fuck, but it also had real choice, a lot of voice acting and a well-paced multi-act structure. A surprise to many then, but not to me.

I fluffed it: Army of Two

Back on the Player there was a small segment at the beginning where various staff members gave a quick yes/no/maybe prediction about certain upcoming games. One time Army of Two was in the mix.

Every other staff member had it either down as average, or shite, and I was the only one that had any optimism towards it.

Yes, I know, it looked a bit crap, but I was convinced that if they could get the level design right and if it had tight cover-based shooty bits that it might rise to me more than the sum of its parts. Add in the potential for Hollywood action movie buddy bantz and you have yourself a winner.

Yessir, Mystic Mike had struck again. Except he hadn't...Army of Two was absolute shite and everyone else was right.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I can't really add anything here as I'm always right about everything.
  • Only got one at the moment, and even that doesn't stick to the rules, but I fluffed it with Bayonetta right up until I saw the [10].  I fully expected it to be a hideous embarrassment of a game, but it turned out that was just the outer layer.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I called it
    Yoss talking absolute nonsense
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I called it
    Yoss talking absolute nonsense

Doesn't work, has to be something my only you think.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Shit, fluffed it
  • Hard to tell if it was only you though, no? My possibles:

Called it
    Ico. Not sure if anyone else bothered with it on release, but it looked great to me and I boughted it for retail dollar in HMV with cardboard sleeve and all. Turns out I was right. 

Fluffed it
    Halo 3. Don't ask me why. I just felt it was gonna be pants and wasn't gonna bother with it. Bought it anyway and, well, I was stupid to think it would be anything but the bestest.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Hard to tell if it was only you though, no?

Yar, so just go with your impression at the time. Also, nice picks.
  • I had that cardboard sleeve Ico with postcards. Gave it to someone here but can't remember who. Might have been Cinty. Game was shite.
  • Called it: Emergence of SteamOS and the Steam machines, xbone and win10 merging, witcher series rising (on a recommendation of w1 from Bollo back in the day)
    Fluffed it: Steam machines obviously. Although their time arguably has yet to come.

On a third note: how in the flying fuck did Dark Souls pass me by @ first release? Stellar game btw.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Called it: Until Dawn. I always thought it was going to be a great laugh to play and enjoy. Turns out I was right, if you give it a go! Sure you could say it's a bit clunky or whatever, but damn if it itsn't a fun game to play, especially with others.

I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Called it: The Saboteur. Thought this would be excellent. Okay, when it arrived it was simply good. Loved the setting, cheesy dialogue, ridiculous characters and average shooting. Definitely far more than the sum of its parts. Sadly this game was largely ignored.

Fluffed it: The Order 1886. Absolutely convinced that this would be a third person cover shooter with Gears levels of gameplay, set in a stunningly realised steampunk setting. Unfortunately, it was a dreadful mess.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!