Enter the Gungeon
  • Will be Gungeoning on stream at some point this evening. Haven't had much time to play during the week, looking forward to going back in. 

I agree with Jon re balance, like every shmup, once you learn the bullet patterns of the enemies in this it's just about staying in the right spot at the right time. 

First floor seems really long compared to issac, but I'm not so sure anymore, pretty sure I've died on floor 2 boss and the timer is saying 10 minutes. I can clear the first floor in Isaac in like 2 minutes (not a brag) and that's with a full understanding and most of the items unlocked. 

What I will say is that I hope gungeon has more passive items that affect your weapons, so far I've only seen stuff that's like increased accuracy. I want to see something that gives you double size shots, or homing bullets or something, I really like the guns in this but Isaac had that potential that at any minute a sub par run could become an amazing run off the back of a single unexpected item combo.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    What I will say is that I hope gungeon has more passive items that affect your weapons, so far I've only seen stuff that's like increased accuracy. I want to see something that gives you double size shots, or homing bullets or something.
    There are quite a few things like that. Bouncing bullets, faster bullets, big bullets etc.
  • Nicely. Good to hear! I love Isaac, have 300 hours logged on steam plus a similar amount on PS4 probably, looking forward to sinking a similar amount into this.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Elephant gun - don't think I've taken a boss down as quick as this before (floor 2):
    Spoiler:
  • Insane, he didn't even spawn any goons or use that fucking irritating gun that shoots long bullets whilst you're trying to dodge everything else.
  • That gun I got for beating him was also pretty amazing. Full on minigun type thing.
  • Was playing again last night.

First go I finally managed to sort out the fireplace and access the area it unlocks. Cleared all that out too, before failing to get very far on the main floors.

Second go I got all the way to floor 5 and this time just about survived to see the boss. Only had 1 heart left by then, so didn't last long, but still, getting close.
  • I beat the first boss last night with zero damage (thanks to the Scrambler) and then remembered my flat mate had asked for some footage of level two so loaded up OBS... and it killed Gungeon. FUCK. HOW DARE IT.

It's probably partly due to the limit on play time I have at the minute, but I still think the sense of progression is whack. I've never come close to 120 coins/3 keys for the shortcut, and I am generally tired of the first level which is starting to put me off returning to it.

I still love the basic feel and action/response, but I've not seen the boss of floor 3 once yet. Heh. I did get a cool talisman that let me reflect bullets I dodged through. Cue sloppy play and lots of damage.
  • 120 coins is not unusual by the end of floor 2 (assuming you don't spend any), but the keys are hit and miss. Might even be worth the risk of buying a key if there's one in the shop, as you're still more likely to make up the cash.
  • You're just either way better or way luckier than me, I rarely see north of 100 coins.
  • I had 120 coins but was a key short on one run. Bastids.
  • If you take damage from an enemy you get 0 coins.
  • From that enemy.
  • I've got my floor 3 shortcut on the go too now, and working on 4. That's a tricky bleeder to be sure though, and not sure how useful it'll be to start from floor 4 without much stuff anyway.
  • So there's a big update due for this tomorrow apparently.

New enemies, rooms, weapons, the lot. And perhaps most important of all more generous drop rates, so you should get decent stuff more often.

Weird for this to happen after 2 years, but it might get me to go back.
  • I've been waiting for a Switch price drop, but it's currently £6.19 on PSN.  Not sure if I'd play something like this on a TV though.

Edit: Actually I'm reasonably sure I wouldn't.
  • JonB wrote:
    So there's a big update due for this tomorrow apparently.

New enemies, rooms, weapons, the lot. And perhaps most important of all more generous drop rates, so you should get decent stuff more often.

Weird for this to happen after 2 years, but it might get me to go back.

Im looking forward to going back to this. The updates free isn’t it?

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Yip out on Thursday
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • I've been playing the updated version quite a lot today.

There's a lot of new stuff - enemies, items, weapon synergies - and small changes that make things run more smoothly - you can bank extra hearts, there's an option to walk faster outside combat etc.

Overall, it's slightly tougher. But because of the increased drop rate there's a better chance of stacking up some good guns and items. And then it gets easier.
  • Going to dive back in once I finally finish hallow knight

• Well gosh if this recent spurt of activity in the thread and my current lull in gaming haven't made me want to get back into this game. I think now that I'm in a position where I've 100%'d Isaac that I won't constantly be feeling like I have to choose between the two when I'm playing. 

Because the stats don't lie, 13 hours of Gungeon is all I've played when I looked at it on steam compared to well, rather a lot more than that logged on Isaac since Gungeon came out. 

Having to relearn everything pretty much from scratch though!
  • I’ve got back into this too. Took my Switch to bed last night and played for a good two hours when I really, really should’ve been sleeping
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Took my Switch to bed last night and played for a good two hours when I really, really should’ve been sleeping
    Very easily done

• Determined to get floor 2 tonight on shift. Fortnite pull too strong tho.
  • Roujin wrote:
    rather a lot more than that logged on Isaac

How much more?
  • I think between PS4 and PC there is around 1000 hours.

Edit, wait thats total.

Probably 150-200 hours into Isaac since Gungeon came out probably.
  • Total is what I wanted anyway.  Dedication.
  • Roujin wrote:
    I think between PS4 and PC there is around 1000 hours. Edit, wait thats total. Probably 150-200 hours into Isaac since Gungeon came out probably.
    Fuggin hell

• Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I feel the Switch sticks are holding me back. May try the pro controller later tonight. Don't like the idea of having the switch not within arms length though.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!