UK TV providers and their various merits
‹ Previous1234
  • Much like the music streaming thread.

Who do you subscribe to, what do you get and how much (providing you are happy to say.
    Are you happy or not with that.
  • Amazon Prime. If it wasn't for the next day delivery if would not be worth it.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • I'm moving and am looking at what my best options are.
    The flat is already fitted out with a Sky dish and looks like it runs into the bedroom and living room.
    It also has fibre, so I am set for all options.

Currently I have BT Infinity with BT TV and Sports, with HD.
    The price isnt bad at £45 per month, uncapped and about 65 mbps at peak.
    The problem is it is flakey as fuck and any TV that isn't SD freeview comes down the internet. A big problem especially when watching sports. The Youview box is also limited and doesnt have a Prime or Youtube app.

For online services, well impressed with Prime as a whole but the TV/Movie isnt as good as Netflix and Audio not as good as Spotify/Deezer. Overall though it is well worth the price.
  • Netflix and freeview and that's it.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    Amazon Prime. If it wasn't for the next day delivery if would not be worth it.

This.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I want to keep BT but as you say their TV can be flake as fuck. Also sports is only sd and no ss3 or 4 (golf)

Sky and Virgin both viable.
  • I don't have a TV. Join me. I ignore BBC letters and then the man comes to my flat and I mess with him a bit, eventually letting him in to see my consoles and monitor set up.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Paying for media in 2016 lol
  • I only use iPlayer and All 4. Occasionally I watch something on YouTube or TED. Netflix often tempts me, but I can't find more than a couple of things on it that I'm actually that bothered about watching. Fuck Sky and anything else that puts adverts into a service you've paid for, that's such an insult I'm more than happy to pirate anything exclusive to them.
  • I like things to just work, no garbage ads everywhere during the actual show. Don't want to have to boot up a PC or any of that.
    TBH a big chunk of cost will be unlimited fibre anyway, which I can offset a percentage of legitimately through my company.
    It does annoy me that Sky has so many adverts, all channels are limited to 12 minutes per hour by law but by fuck do some of those channels use those full 12 minutes. Discovery is unwatchable to me.
  • I watch most of my stuff through Google Cast, it works pretty much flawlessly.
  • Sack it all off dive, learn the guitar or piano. Or play football. Better decision.
  • It is a nice notion Oznoz but I'm at capacity for learning already.
    Taught myself Illustrator and Substance Painter this month.

I do plan on getting a dog though.
  • TBF, the less I watch, the less I want to watch. So much other, better stuff to do with my time. So many games to play, for a start.
  • The big problem is I like to watch the football but doing that legit costs a fortune.
    They have tried to stop a monopoly by splitting how many games any one provider can show but the reality is you end up having to get two subscriptions.

• Football is about the only thing I'd agree with DS's methods for.

If you want it without hassle, you're fucked and have to sell your soul to the devil, though.

Luckily, I don't watch it.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    legaldinho wrote:
    I don't have a TV.

This.

Paying for media in 2016 lol

And that.

For people who don't miss £7 each month (majority), it's hard to understand how DS and I became opposed on more than just financial grounds. If I still had a good disposable, sure, I'd probably pay for this stuff without much thought; that's how they get away with offering subpar services. But it's when that small amount means something to you that failings become critical in your choice. If I'm gonna pay for it, then - since that represents a fair cost to me - I want it to provide everything I'm after, thereabouts.

But it doesn't. That's why I refuse; I'm not stretching myself to afford something that fails everyone via an overall lack of discernment. People complain, 'course they do, but that's all they do, 'cause what's £7?! And I'd still have to stream sports, 'cause I'd never afford those. If I could get everything (Oldman GIF) for £12 pm, as Sky was in the mid-'90s - boom! - where do I sign? (That's the cost for Ruya, BTW.)
  • A few of my mates use the VPNed Indian streams for the Prem, then wifi it about using a media hub type PC. It is a right faff though.
  • Netflix want a sub-par service when I last used it. I'm going to torrent Star Wars because I can't rent it anywhere, though.
  • Netflix was great with a VPN.
    Now I can't see it being worth it beyond 6 months for most.

The worst  of any media I have had is Sky Movies. I got it free with Sports so didnt really care but it was utter shite.
    The first month is OK, you have loads of films to watch, then you realise they just trickle down from premier, to sky movies then into the appropriate sky movies genre. Three months in you realise you are paying £18.50 (the current cost of the movie channels, £8.50 if you have sports.) for 3 new movies played on loop.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    A few of my mates use the VPNed Indian streams for the Prem, then wifi it about using a media hub type PC. It is a right faff though.

Acestream plus a USB is all you need, if you don't mind the occasional commentary being in Russian or something, which honestly is more entertaining than the classic Savage/Owen masterclass.

As/When/If/Lol I get my own place I wouldn't sign up to any service unless I was making a couple grand a month or more. Far more intriguing things to spend disposable income on than an advert box.
  • I kinda do mind unfortunately.
    Only foreign commentary I like is the Yanks, because they are hilarious.
    Nothing like hearing the average yards per season Stephen Gerarrrrd has ran.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Amazon Prime (as others say, the delivery thing helps a lot with that), Netflix (the exclusives make it pretty much worth it), plus FreeView for the odd time I just want something on, but All4 and iPlayer for most stuff that I actually want to watch.

I'd sign up to HBO Go in a heartbeat if it didn't involve dicking around with VPNs.

And yes, the splitting up of football was an extremely dumb idea, however, I'm very glad that the rights were sold to Sky so I don't ever have to watch it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I kinda do mind unfortunately. Only foreign commentary I like is the Yanks, because they are hilarious. Nothing like hearing the average yards per season Stephen Gerarrrrd has ran.

I'm a weirdo and watch football on mute a lot of the time even if it is English speaking. Shite level commentary and muted stadium audio doesn't really add much. Besides, Sky Sports and BT have dedicated Acestream 'channels' so no need to miss anything. Games not on English TV, if you can't get Yank, Irish or Middle East you're shit outta UK luck.
  • Netflix was great with a VPN.
    Now I can't see it being worth it beyond 6 months for most.

This is my problem with it. Well, any service, really. There isn't enough to watch. If Google Play had rent options for the stuff I wanted, it'd be all I use. As it is, I'm forced to sign up for a bit then cancel for some stuff and torrent for others. The media industry is an absolute shambles.
  • Getting the 3pm games makes it more appealing, another dumb decision.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Netflix want a sub-par service when I last used it. I'm going to torrent Star Wars because I can't rent it anywhere, though.

I had Prime for a short while, and in fairness, I watched Sons of Anarchy (lol), all of the Blackadders, and up to the third series of Vikings. With a clean slate, it was absolutely worth £6 to me. But having watched a fair bit, I'd have been paying for nowt most months thereafter. Smash-and-grab.

Consolidated content's the future hope, with any differences coming from the quality and reliability of streaming, instead of having fractured content all over the shop in each vendor's interests.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I wil say though that if there was a streaming service, or services, which had the same options and choice I currently get through the big five torrent trackers (roughly about a million or two of options in many, many varying degrees of quality) I'd pay monthly happily. As is if I want a low budget horror curio which is only out in Albania on DVD I can have that on my laptop within five minutes, fucked with streaming.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yep, fuck exclusivity deals.
  • Indeed. Quality>>>>>>Exclusivity.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    As an aside, purely for my own purpose, how many titles, tv + film, does Netflix currently have/offer? If there is such a statistic.

EDIT: Doesn't matter, found it. Roughly 10-15k or summat across all regions.
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!