Dirty,Shameful Guilty/Embarrassing Pleasures.And Big Brother.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I estimate, in my prime, formative years, I probably had close to a hundred wanks whilst watching Neighbours.

Flick, Izzy, Susan, Karl. All glorious memories.
  • LD watched The Bold & the Beautiful when he could've been watching Sunset Beach?  Shame on him.
  • Snorted at Karl, thanks DS
  • I estimate, in my prime, formative years, I probably had close to a hundred wanks whilst watching Neighbours. Flick, Izzy, Susan, Karl. All glorious memories.

Lauren or Beth was a Dr. Zhivago level quandary.  Brad done good.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    LD watched The Bold & the Beautiful when he could've been watching Sunset Beach?  Shame on him.

Was that on after? I might have watched it. Sounds familiar.

To be honest after half-an-hour of The Bold & the Beautiful my self-loathing levels were probably too high to watch another tacky soap.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    You're right, there's nothing wrong with J-Pop.
    J-Pop is shit m8. K-Pop <3.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Not really seeing a lot of pleasures that I'd class as guilty, more people who have been fooled into thinking pop is inherently bad.

But what about my custard slice tempy? What about that?
  • CUSTARD IN THE NAME OF GOD, YE NOT GUILTY
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    So fluids are either in the name of Newton or God. Interesting.
  • lol some solid gold in here chaps. Ill never look at Neighbours Karl again.
    Totally agree on the Cruiser films. Lots of closet musical fans in here.

@Wookie Good shout with the addition of the Secret Fantasies category.
    In college I had this recurring urge during lectures in a certain lecture theater(a massive auditorium style one). I wanted to lay a cabel on the desk in front of the whole class(of 200 souls) and walk out. No idea why. But the urge was very persistent.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I'm not guilty about any of the stuff I like. But under the moot rule, I love both incarnations of Miley Cyrus, which many find odd.
  • Thread needs more pictures.

I have nearly finished Lili: Child of Geos.

pEpKo7G.jpg

I own and listen to two albums by Alisha's Attic

7vCRDwQ.jpg

On occasion, I wear not only the Journey scarf, but also the hoodie.

PKNPr5d.jpg
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I loved Alisha's Attic. When I say loved I really liked one song, indestructible.
  • I have developed a strong liking for 80s/90s/00s pop/rnb.

Bobby Brown, Whitney, Janet Jackson, Boys II Men, George Michael, Destiny's Child, Soul II Soul, TLC, Eternal, R Kelly, Donnel Jones, Shola Ama, Ashanti, MC Hammer, New Kids on the Block, Usher etc.

I have the musical taste of a middle aged black woman.
  • Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I loved Alisha's Attic. When I say loved I really liked one song, indestructible.

Was a good one. I also have a soft spot for Irresistible U Are. I've just noticed that Google Music doesn't have Illumina, despite the fact I've uploaded it. God knows what's going on there.

Also, I sometimes order a Double Decadence Meateor with mozzarella sticks and twisted dough balls from Domino's and eat it all to myself.

Dzcxmtw.jpg
  • Alisha's Attic are amazing.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    They still going?
  • Again, a teenage memory. Aged 14 I wanted to buy a nice, 60's style psychedelic shirt. The kind of thing you'd imagine Lennon or Syd Barrett wearing in 1967. Classy, but with subcultural hints, to those in the know. But nowhere seemed to be selling them at that time, despite me walking around for hours trying to find what I was looking for and visiting every shop twice or more. I didn't want to go home empty handed so in the end I hurriedly purchased a lime green Hawaiian shirt. It was truly hideous but in the moment I convinced myself it might be alright and that, worn under a jumper it might add a touch of mysterious, mystical, counter-culture glamour to my fairly humdrum wardrobe of jeans, trainers and t-shirts.

I can't find a picture of the shirt, it wasn't a name brand or anything but it looked a bit like this 1970's wallpaper:

7817035528_e10d9ac4b0.jpg

But more lime green.

I only ever wore it once. I was meeting my mates from school to catch the train somewhere or other. I walked down to the station, as I always did. It was boiling, so I had to take my jumper off as I was sweating like a Mexican. Leaving my shirt and me cruelly exposed to the teasing of others.

Not one but two large groups of giggly teenage girls laughed openly at me and loudly and persistently took the piss on my way down there. My confidence, shaky at the best of times (especially in those teen days) was duly demolished. Workmen chuckled at the sight of me as they clambered around the building site I had to stroll past. I bought a train ticket from a middle-aged woman openly struggling to contain her mirth.

Then I arrived on the platform. I could already hear my mates laughing at me from the opposite platform, across the tracks. "What the living fuck are you wearing?" "You look like my Nan's fucking lampshade!" The rest of the day was filled with similar piss-taking, from friends and strangers. I put my jumper back on, even though it was probably pushing 90 degrees.

Needless to say I never wore it again. A few years later my Mum dug it out of the wardrobe and asked me if I wanted her to take it down the charity shop for me. I shuddered at the sight of it. For years afterwards my Mum would cheerfully inform me of the unsold status of my ex-shirt down at the charity shop.

I think it was reduced down to 50p by the stage someone eventually bought it.
  • No, but they write most of the pop music going. It's generally not as good, the stuff Karen did for Kylie is probably my favourite none Attic stuff.
  • Nah, they stopped working together years ago.

In checking this, I've not only been reminded of the track Barbarella, but also found out that they released a Japan only EP I didn't know about.

Edit: need to write faster and/or refresh before I post.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @LarryDavid That is brilliant. Though I obviously would not have laughed if I had seen you back then.
  • I have developed a strong liking for 80s/90s/00s pop/rnb. Bobby Brown, Whitney, Janet Jackson, Boys II Men, George Michael, Destiny's Child, Soul II Soul, TLC, Eternal, R Kelly, Donnel Jones, Shola Ama, Ashanti, MC Hammer, New Kids on the Block, Usher etc. I have the musical taste of a middle aged black woman.

Most of these feature in my recently played artists list! Love that list
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I think that list is the first time I've ever had musical crossover with Live. Alisha's Attic both wrote for Janet by the way.
  • Since I don't know how to link to tumblr, I'll paste this here because it seems relevant:
    Mitch Clem wrote:
    So Amanda and I watched this movie, Begin Again. And, overall, I dug it. Might even make it into my top five of the year? Top ten at least. Probably. BUT ANYHOW, here’s the trick: MUSIC NERDERY. This is a movie by and for music nerds. Right? Okay, so now you’ve got your skeptic hat on (or, maybe your skeptic glasses… YOUR SKEPTICALS! QUICK, CALL RAND MCNALLY!) and so did I. And yet, though a tiny smidge cheesy and out of touch, the movie managed to OVERALL be a nice, solid movie about music.

EXCEPT!

And this is a big except.

EXCEPT there’s a scene where two of the characters are talking, and one sees the other’s iPod and asks to look at it and the iPod owner balks and won’t allow such a thing because their iPod is full of “GUILTY PLEASIRES”! (OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH) and NEVER MIND that I’ve already written about how “GUILTY PLEASURE” is a bullshit term that implies that there is an empirical value to music and that some music is just inarguably better than others GENERALLY using a yardstick of pretension and general worrying about not being seen as somehow “unhip” for liking something “unhip” even though art affecting you emotionally and making you feel feels is the most beautiful thing our stupid lives have to offer…

What was I talking about? Oh yeah, guilty pleasures. So, okay, fine, I think playing into the mindset of feeling guilty about what you like is juvenile and ultimately harmful, BUT WHATEVER, I still GET IT and I can still appreciate this scene in the movie. Let’s go, let’s check out these guilty pleasures…

The scene goes on to play basically a montage of Frank Sinatra classics. And, now, okay, I PERSONALLY fucking HATE Frank Sinatra. Don’t like the songs, don’t like the voice, don’t like the style, DEFINITELY don’t like the man behind all of the above. THAT SAID. I realize my hatred of the Chairman of the Spousal Abuse (or whatever) is mine, is personal preference, and so I get why some people might like him even if I don’t.

THAT SAID. Oh my god I can’t stop tangenting. Stop me, don’t let me tangent again, let me let this out. FRANK SINATRA IS NOT A GUILTY PLEASURE. SERIOUSLY ALMOST EVERYONE (well, everyone who’s white anyhow) LIKES FRANK SINATRA!

I get that you’re making this movie and you wanna have a sweet WITH-IT soundtrack with no skippable tracks and so, for your “guilty pleasure” in the score you opted for something old.

That’s not the fuck what guilty pleasure means, dude. And, you know, I can even empathize with this. Because here’s the rub: To admit a guilty pleasure is to accidentally admit you give a shit what people think about your taste in music. And so, as is often the case, you will “ADMIT” to something guilty by admitting to something that you know everyone else also likes but which isn’t the current flavor of the month as to seem vulnerable yet still relateable and not have to worry about anyone ever actually seeing you as – GASP – UNCOOL!!!

WELL GUESS WHAT MISTER MOVIE MAN? That’s fucking stupid. Don’t make a movie with a guilty pleasure exposure and cop out to something as goddamn safe as Frank stupid flippin Sinatra.

You know what’s a guilty pleasure? The Crash Test Dummies. Or Nina Gordon’s solo albums from after Veruca Salt broke up. Holy shit. Or, like… I mean, hell, it’s all so contextual. If you’re with your grandma, it’s Cannibal Corpse. If you’re with a bunch of punks it’s Ben Folds Five. If you’re with the Pitchfork writing staff it’s LITERALLY ANYTHING EVER.

Anyhow. What the hell was my point? Oh whatever. Just like whatever fucking music makes you feel good. If someone teases you about it, that’s all well and good, unless they seriously actually mean it, in which case they can go to hell. Every punk-as-fuck motherfucker secretly loves the Josie and the Pussycats soundtrack.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Fuck Tumblr.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Eating the all best ones from the Christmas tin of Quality Street.

Taking a day off work to do fuck all.

Downloading free stuff.

Placing adhesive stickers on my cat's back.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    @LarryDavid That is brilliant. Though I obviously would not have laughed if I had seen you back then.

Agreed. Awesome story.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!