Nioh
  • By combos, were talking like a swift 1-2, not chaining loads of hits right?

With stance switching you can feasibly chain like 10-20 hits.
  • Try, light, hard, light, kick, switch to low stance, light, hard, light then the jump slash

Or 

light, hard, light, kick, switch into high stance, light, moon slash
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    3ish gigs

Cheers man
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I still haven't played it, unlikely to now until Sunday.
  • nice. game look pretty
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Hmm. I still don't understand the relationship between your stamina bar and stance change, and I doubt I've got the dexterity to knock out the combo with stance changes anyway.

I'm all about the high stance patient counter, expect it'll get me nowhere in the game proper.
  • When you've done a move, your stamina bar turns white. If you stance change, you instantly regain that stamina, otherwise any other input will see it disappear. You can use that to get more attacks out of your stamina bar, the easiest way being switching down from heavy, to mid, to light during a combo.
  • what buttons change stance? my mind assumes the shoulders/triggers
  • R1 and the triangle for heavy, square for mid, x for light
  • oh its a modifier, face buttons to attack as well i assume.
  • Yeha. Seems you can just press R1 at the end of a combo to regain the stamina too, but I prefer switching stance. Nice to know there is the option though.

Found what I think is the end of the demo.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Playing this straight after a Bloodborne sesh was disorientating.

Need to learn it really. Weapon durability is unquestionably retarded though.
  • You get like 100 swords though so nay bother

(It's ridiculous)
  • Just started playing this, christ it's tough.  Is there a way to turn off the revenants?  There seems to be a glowing red corpse every 10 yards and it's annoying.
  • Never played Dark Souls or anything like it, so apologies for the simpleton questions, but do enemies not stay dead in this?  Or are they revived by praying at a shine?  I mopped up five or six opponents, wandered around a bit (thought the shrine might save progress?), then they were all back in their original positions.
  • They're revived by the shrine, which will save progress too, but with these games autosaving tends to occur frequently in the background. 

You progress by getting competent at facing enemies and also unlocking short cuts* that allow you to bypass areas of the game. Nioh is very tough and pretty stingy with the short cuts though. It is harder than Souls or Bloodborne.

*shortcut spoiler
    Spoiler:
  • Cheers.  I sort of get it, I think.  The combat is satisfying as it's so tense - the Ninja Gaiden thing about the simplest of foes having the ability to catch you off guard, which was never really true, is certainly the case here.  So aside from short cuts, are you effectively starting afresh with each death, or do you retain loot/character levels?  One last question: what's the deal with the wolf you leave on the spot where you fall, I assume the aim is to get back to it each time?  Didn't think I'd like this sort of thing, but there's a chance.
  • You retain all your loot and your levels. The wolf (which you can change at the shrine) is your Guardian Spirit. It serves two purposes: when it's fully charged (icon by the health bar) you can press triangle and circle to do a tempest attack, and also it marks your grave. If you reach it without dying all the amritta (exp) you earned on your last death are collected. If you die, they disappear and a new grave is made. Health potions are the same - they're up on the dpad and you have 3, which refill on death or accessing a shrine.

In the menu there is an equipment screen you can sort your equipment. Bigger numbers are better.
  • So the wolf thing is a bit like getting one shot at your dropped gems in Shovel Knight.  Gotcha.
  • It, and the shrines, and the graves (but without the ability to summon an NPC to fight) are taken wholeheartedly from the Souls series. It's basically the central mechanic of progression.
  • Even though I didn't really get anywhere last night, it's fair to say that this has wormed its way under my skin based on the combat alone.  I guess this is how these games (what are they called anyway?  Dark Souls like doesn't cut it if the basics are being copied and pasted elsewhere) get their claws into you.

One more session, then a pre-order, I think.
  • Been stance switching during combos yet?
  • Tried out switching from the frenzied flurries of low to a triple middle, makes short work of the spear wielder.  Early days yet though.
  • Tempy, is this really really good?
  • No, not really. But it scratches an itch. I used to really enjoy Onimusha back in the day, and I like games about Samurai that have interesting combat, like Way of the Samurai. That said, it's got a lot of issues. Combat is on the wrong side of difficult, and they could do with tweaking it a little.

The Diablo style item drops are fine by me, but the need to make it so that you aren't always getting 100 pieces of armour, and so that it's easier to get repairs or upgrades to bits of gear. Burning through twenty hats in a level feels stupid, especially when it sees you ditch a cool purple with lots of cool buffs for a white weapon just because its raw damage is really high.

Certain enemies also like to do grabs that pop right through their stagger state and through your hurtbox which isn't a huge amount of fun to deal with.

Hopefully the full game ends up being a bit more tweaked, but if you like Onimusha, combat with a lot of depth, and something that's sadistically challenging, then I imagine there will be a lot to like. It's rare that a game makes fighting an armoured soldier and two militia feel like it can go either way, which is something special.
  • maybe item drops etc were increased for the demo. fuck i should give this one a whirl instead of reading about it!
  • Could be, stuff breaks fast though and repair items are limited to 9 of each type
  • I like a seemingly impossible challenge. It's something Souls and the good Ninja Gaidens have in common actually. Start a section, get instantly owned, think it's impossible, then keep trying different approaches until something gives and you feel really clever.

Cheers for the review

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!